The SkyBox Thread

The thread name made me think this was a sports-related thread. I wasn't aware there's even a name for those types of backgrounds in 3-D video games, but I've always been very fond of them.
Most of my favourites come from the N64 and PS1 era. I'd post some screenshots, but I'd have to go and take them myself, since it's such an obscure topic.

The thread name made me think this was a sports-related thread. I wasn't aware there's even a name for those types of backgrounds in 3-D video games, but I've always been very fond of them.
Most of my favourites come from the N64 and PS1 era. I'd post some screenshots, but I'd have to go and take them myself, since it's such an obscure topic.
Regardless of the game its just graphics outide the actual level, No matter what the background in any game, Though NES games and such aren't sky boxes. I think around early 3D like StarFox and parallax like Sonic 2 (i think). So anything from space in Rainbow Road to the sky in Skyrim.
What's so sports like about the thread name? I must be missing something. XD

Regardless of the game its just graphics outide the actual level, No matter what the background in any game, Though NES games and such aren't sky boxes. I think around early 3D like StarFox and parallax like Sonic 2 (i think). So anything from space in Rainbow Road to the sky in Skyrim.
What's so sports like about the thread name? I must be missing something. XD

Well, a skybox is usually a sports arena term for fancy, exclusive seating areas that overlook the stadium (reserved for commentators, VIP's, etc.) It's always confusing when people take existing words and use them for completely different things, instead of creating new names! (I'm not blaming you, of course, T3WB)

Last edited:
Well, a skybox is usually a sports arena term for fancy, exclusive seating areas that overlook the stadium (reserved for commentators, VIP's, etc.) It's always confusing when people take existing words and use them for completely different things, instead of creating new names! (I'm not blaming you, of course, T3WB)
Yeah, i guess sports skybox would have come first, But SkyBox in games is not at all a new term. I've been hearing it for years.

Back