Toad's identity crisis

A few more things that I have found, this is not going to be another rant since I can't sleep and figured that I could do something other than stare at the ceiling for hours...
Pre-Ordering Treasure Tracker in the UK will gain you a Toad Key chain:
B0fNsKiIgAA3nnx-1.jpg

Kind of courius that they would use him to serve as the pre-order bonus if they are not only supposedly different characters, but also already have 2D Captain Toad art to choose from such as the life icons and this:
Captaintoad_art.png

That would be like advertising a Luigi's Mansion game with Mario plastered on everything.
3D World uses Toad's icon for the Captain, with the small addition of a headlamp:
651px-Toad_Artwork_-_Mario_Kart_Wii.png

20141230_001655-1.jpg

Mario,Luigi,Peach and Blue Toad use their icons from other games as well.
Last but not least we have what's probably the most interesting thing of the bunch, the german Eshop description for Treasure Tracker:
20141219_061347-1.jpg

Basically just a standart description of the game: the characters can't jump, puzzles, over 70 levels blablabla, what's more interesting is the fact that it treats the Captain and Toad as the same individual, this may not sound like anything huge, combined with all of the other sources things are really starting to pile up now.
That's all I got for now, still tired...

Last edited:
Yes it's that time again.
20150111_005200.jpg

The bunus mission description in the level "Multivator Mayham" in Captain Toad Treasure Tracker tells you to end the levels with 5 Toads (the english version says it too, I just checked on Youtube) and I already explained why appriviating the Captain with Toad doesn't work unless they are the same character, it can't be talking about the species either since you are just cloning the same character and a later double cherry mission involving Toadette mentions her by name as well.

That's not why I'm here thought, take a look at this:

A lot of special attention for a supposedly unrelated character wouldn't you say, especially since this feature mirrors Super Luigi U, where Luigi was the star and got a ton of little eastereggs trought the game.

Last edited:
I swore myself that I would stop to care about this subject regarding a worthless character that I like for some reason, but Super Mario Maker is adding some more fuel to the fire:
AnLbRiu.jpg

So yeah, that's a thing.

Oh wow, you won't rest, will you? d:p
That Super Mario Maker one is quite odd. If Captain Toad would be Toad, wouldn't Toad be talking to himself?
There really is no rest, althought it has been a while since I went back to this subject.

As for the Mario Maker thing, this does make me wonder if the Toad that talks to the player chracter is just a generic one and not the singular one, it would be clever given that the mystery shroom forms can only be used in the SMB style, where all of the Toads have red vests, which would make the one you are playing as the only one with the blue vest and red spots combo, which is the way most Mario games distinguish the main Toad from the generics.

Its just such an odd thing, especially since these mystery shroom forms are advertised as an Amiibo thing (even thought you can unlock them normally as well) and Amiibo bonuses are always tied to the character you scanned in and when you reach him as Mario, Peach or Bowser he will refer to them as such, yet Toad who according to that one interview is NOT the captain is adressed AS the captain, there are no other references to Captain Toad in the game either, so this really only seemed to be put into the game for the purpose of saying that they are the same dude.

• Agree
Reactions: 607
It's interesting to note that Mario Party 9 calls the player who is controlling the car "Captain", which can lead to this:
jg1h04.jpg

This was before the whole identity subject even started, talk about hillarious in hindsight.

Keheheh...it seems this unusually contentious ambiguity is about to potentially become even more ambiguous...
I assume you are talking about "Archivist Toadette''? I dunno, I'd like to say I'm optimistic, but I'm not putting it past Nintendo to pull some stupid shit.

Either way, it's kinda interesting how long it's been since I had anything to say on the Captain/Toad matter, though that's mainly because there hasn't been anything really worth discussing as of late. At any rate I still find this whole thing to be colossally idiotic, because the whole ''they aren't the same character'' claim just adds tons of complications where they don't need to be and Mario Maker even straight up contradicts that claim and yet Nintendo still refuses to just commit to either of the two stories.

• Agree
That's what I meant yes though now I'm also thinking of what Mario Odyssey has to say about the Captain Toad matter, if anything.

I'm curious myself, with the Captain being in the game and what not, though I'm expecting it to be more like the games ouside of Mario Maker where nothing is outright stated, assuming he doesn't get some sort of bigger part that we aren't aware of yet.

I haven't played Mario Odyssey yet as I don't have a Switch yet though I've seen my roommate play it quite a bit. It seems Toadette is still just Toadette. Though the Captain Toad issue is still pretty ambigious.

I actually thought at first that this is the game where they are splitting them for good, when I saw a red spots + blue vest Toad in the game, but as it turns out this is one of those games where all generic Toads use that design, with none of them being identified as ''The Toad'', so it's straight back to square one.

Some things in fiction are best left ambiguous but I still don't see why Nintendo is always trying to tiptoe around this.

I don't mind ambiguity for the most part, this is just a case where I find it dumb, because you gain nothing from making things so unclear and confusing, I mean as much as I don't like the retcon of the Koopalings not being related to Bowser anymore I'm at least glad that the games actually commited themselves to it, because it makes the situation clear cut and simple.

I don't mind ambiguity for the most part, this is just a case where I find it dumb, because you gain nothing from making things so unclear and confusing, I mean as much as I don't like the retcon of the Koopalings not being related to Bowser anymore I'm at least glad that the games actually commited themselves to it, because it makes the situation clear cut and simple.
Wait, aren't the Koopalings sons of Bowser?

A minor thing, but they show Captain Toad in a question that concerns regular Toad (even if it can apply to the whole species) when they could have shown one of the generics in the game instead.

Nothing big or anything, I just figured I'd put this here.

Back