Anders

Wario Fan Supreme
wario-blast-featuring-bomberman-usa-europe.png

I just got Wario Blast to play on my Gameboy Color, and I've been having a blast! (pun intended:wariobomb:). When I was a kid I used to play a lot of bomberman, and I had no idea there was a Wario/Bomberman crossover game! I like the idea that Wario was so popular in the US that they used him to market a bomberman game.

The game is pretty simple, but entertaining. You face off bomberman in a basic bomberman arena, and later on you face multiple bombermen. You collect powerups in the arena and the goal is to blow up the opponents (and not get blown up by them). Sometimes hazards spawn instead of power ups, but I've yet to step on any of them. (although the bombermen seem to walk on them all the time) There's a total of 8 worlds, and a boss awaits you at the end of each one of them.

The graphics are decent, basic gameboy graphics. The sprites are pretty lively to be honest. Wario is his usual self (although a bit compressed
warioblast.png
) and the bosses look cool. The graphics are very clear in general, so you won't feel betrayed if you get hit by an attack or a bomb, or if you step in a hazard. The soundtrack is great, and some of the soundtracks actually stayed with me, I particulary like the soundtrack you hear in the very first world.

This game is perfect for public transport, or you can play it while talking with friends online, or on lunch break at work. I recommend this game to all Wario fans, even those that haven't really played bomberman before. It's really fun, and it's a nice addition to anyone's Wario collection!

The game uses a password system, be sure to remember the code so you can continue where you left off! :bigwah:

Last edited:
Yeah, I'd like to see Wario in another Bomberman game too.

Either way, thanks for the short review of the game, cause it's nice to see someone else who enjoys this somewhat underrated title.

Now I want to buy Wario Blast: featuring Bomberman even more. Maybe it will be my next expansion of my Wario collection. I have played the game before, though. But that was a copy that I borrowed from a friend long ago, and I don't remember much of it. :wargrr:

I can understand why Wario in Super Bomberman R isn't a thing, since Wario's inclusion into Bomberman GB was entirely a western thing, but it is still a massive missed opportunity.

Either way, Wario Blast is fun, I do like it a lot, but I also just find it kind of interesting because of how much of an oddity it is within the Wario Franchise.

I like the idea that Wario was so popular in the US that they used him to market a bomberman game.
I kind of feel like maybe it was the other way around? This was after the first Wario Land was released and while that game sold very well I don't think Wario was still an established character just yet. Anyone else have anything else to say in this regard?

I kind of feel like maybe it was the other way around? This was after the first Wario Land was released and while that game sold very well I don't think Wario was still an established character just yet. Anyone else have anything else to say in this regard?
if it was the other way around, wouldn't they have done the same in japan to cement Wario's character there too?

if it was the other way around, wouldn't they have done the same in japan to cement Wario's character there too?
I mean the game was already released in Japan as Bomberman GB so it wouldn't make sense to sell it again. Though I guess that didn't stop them from selling the Western Super Mario Bros 2 in Japan as Super Mario USA so who knows. Still, the common trend during this time period though was usually reskinning Japanese games for Western markets.

Also, I kind of feel like Wario was more heavily marketed in Japan in different ways relative to the rest of the world though that's just me judging from the elaborate Japanese commercials.

Fun game. Brings back happy childhood memories. I remember that my Mom really enjoyed playing it as well. She kept a book that was full of the passwords.

This is the only classic Wario game I haven't played, aside from Wario Land Virtual Boy. I completely forgot to pick it up when I was splurging on retro games a while back, but now I'm not in a good position to buy more of them so it'll have to wait.

Back