Wario in Smash Bros. 4

pete

Diamond City Dweller
I wanted to discuss Wario in Smash Bros. Brawl and Smash Bros.4

Last night, I was inspired (by you guys) to bust out my Wario against a fight with some friends. Needless to say, I wooped ass. I absolutely obliterated in Damage Given as well (which I always look at after matches).

Anyhoo, some of his moves:

Wario's Punches are pretty strong, but don't have a lot of range. The short punch combo can hurt a lot.

Wario's Motorcycle is his best move, it can be started in mid-air, it drives through people dealing damage, and Wario can even jump off the bike to let it hit everyone else. The bike has two major flaws, one is that it's easy to fly off an edge and not jump off the bike in time to recover, and the other is that if the bike explodes with you on it, it does a fair bit of damage. With that said, mixing up between punches and bike really threw my two opponents off.

Then there is the down B fart move, which I found more funny than useful. I know it gets bigger over time, but my couple of medium-sized farts didn't seem to do too much.

The last movie I'm going to mention is Wario's bite, which is idle B. I didn't experiment with it too much, but it seemed to do way more damage than a typical grab, and seemed like a decent defensive move against oncoming attacks or opponents charging at you.

Another hilarious thing I had never noticed was just how muscular Wario's arms are in the selection screen. Holy crap, how is he so fat and unwieldy yet have such massive gorilla arms. His arms are more ripped than DK's, and I wonder if he had a competitive advantage in weight lifting in the Olympic games (I could never play more than 20 minutes of them, I found them so crappy).

Anyways, Wario is a badass fighter. What is your thoughts/experiences with Wario as a Smash Bros fighter?

I don't recall any advantages in the Olympic games. But I played about half an hour of the Winter Olympics Mario game and quit cause of the boring gameplay, overload of tutorials and terrible motion controls.

Back to Smash Bros though... the bike is awesome. Seriously, it breaks the AI so badly simply by existing, cause they often forget they can knock Wario off of it... Very good for Classic or All Star, where enemy characters will get flung around like a ragdoll simply by touching the bike, and someone spamming it non stop can wipe out many of them simply by never stopping.

About Wario's bite, it's one of his best moves: it eats a lot more stuff than it did in Brawl, now heals 1%, and can be used against many projectiles. Or to eat annoying non-explody or Pokébally items you would rather not be there, such as a Football when you have high %.

As a representation of the character, it's bad.

On it's own merits, however, it's fun enough that he wound up becoming my main in the game. I thought I'd main Sonic or Mega Man. They are fun to play as, but Wario is even more fun! You guys put it well, but I should add that I got 2 KOs in a Cruel Smash using the bike...which is more than I usually get in a game of it, where I'm lucky if I can get one!

wario's bite can be useful as an aerial grab and pummel and attacking from above when everyone predicts an aerial and they shield and don't underestimate the waft. but the character himself is barely wario its kind of sad, the only thing he has from land is his crawl

Yeah. Wario is a decent character to play as... that has nothing to do with Wario Land and arguably only a little to do with WarioWare.

Like Ganondorf's opposite in some ways...

Yeah. Wario is a decent character to play as... that has nothing to do with Wario Land and arguably only a little to do with WarioWare.

Like Ganondorf's opposite in some ways...

You know, I never really thought about that but you are exactly right. I'm surprised they didn't include the charge attack from Wario Land or atleast the ground-pound.

I think this is a compliment to Wario in spite the lack of references in his moves but whenever you see a Wario on For Glory, you can tell right away they are usually really good players. Wario's Bike has some neat mind games attached to it and his back air/up smash are really good kill moves. His jabs are great for approaching and he has a good neutral game besides his lack of range.

Back