Wario Land 3 romhack with LUA flavour

Blanchon

Wario Fan Supreme
A project I'm working on for fun as an amateur programmer, since march 2019 I think. This is a solo project and I will probably keep it this way. I'll take my time, so don't expect any release soon. NoNoNo:

I use the level editor Drennn made several years ago, combined with a heavy usage of LUA code to force the game to do things he couldn't do originally. It's basically a LUA script run on game start on a TAS-oriented emulator (vba-rerecording in my case) that modifies RAM values according to what I wrote in the script. Here's some videos I made to show a bit of what I did and how I did it :

-

Since I uploaded those two videos, I work on several other additions/modifications : enemies behaviour, warping, form mechanics, little events, minigames, etc. I'll bring you up to date in this thread (when I feel they are complete enough).

Third video is here ! An almost complete level and lots of new edits !

Fourth video, sponsored by Brigitte Bardot Fondation. ( :warioshakeit: )

Last edited:
Nice to see someone doing a different take on my second favourite Wario Land. (WL4 will forever be my personal no. 1)
Please let us know in time when you're ready with it. It looks good already!

Nice to see someone doing a different take on my second favourite Wario Land. (WL4 will forever be my personal no. 1)
Please let us know in time when you're ready with it. It looks good already!

I'll do, but I really hope everyone is still alive and not dying of old age when I make it public ! :8bitwariodance:

Soon I'll show you a cool new mechanic I've worked on for the spring transformation, a much more difficult mod than what I did with the burnt form. I also have other things in the bag right now that are functional, I'll show them too in short videos.

Seen the videos just now, and it looks pretty neat. A tad disappointing that it requires using LUA given how awesome it'd be to see this stuff run in the actual game on any emulator, but it's good none the less, and it's super impressive seeing things like a custom mini game and changes to transform physics added to this hack.

Keep up the good work.

Seen the videos just now, and it looks pretty neat. A tad disappointing that it requires using LUA given how awesome it'd be to see this stuff run in the actual game on any emulator, but it's good none the less, and it's super impressive seeing things like a custom mini game and changes to transform physics added to this hack.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks man ! :cool: I would love to learn the game's code and touch it, but I gave up, it's way too hard and long for results I could have in less time with lua. I prefer to take the easier way.

A short & new video to show a more advanced edit I did to the beam's effect from the enemy "robot-beam".

Still working on the diagonal springjump thing ...

Damn, that looks pretty cool. Seems like something you'd almost expect to see in the base game.

The diagonal spring jump thing is pretty neat.

Also, I like how the gimmicks are being integrated into actual levels here. Way too many ROM hacks and mods implement these gimmicks and new mechanics, then don't do a lot in the way of level design using them.

But you seem to be using them in legitimate stages built around the mechanics.

Level design is my favourite activity in the process CM30. It feels really good doing it when previous limitations got blasted thanks to programming efforts.

I have new interesting things to show you guys, but before I want to test some rooms and complete some warp data. I created a non-restrictive warp system, allowing several warps and destination in the same sector (unlike the original game). It's far more convenient that way to design puzzles, platform challenges, etc, but oh boy it was rough to program something functional and visually decent ... :crazymkwario:

Reactions: 607
Interesting approach to ROM hacking here. I'm of the opinion that it's very difficult to make a good hack without at least some coding changes. You can get pretty far in games like SMW, but even then the formula begins to get stale without some new tricks. So it's nice to see someone not relying completely on my editor.

And yeah, I basically agree that WL3 isn't a suitable game for hacking. At least not without a way to control progression. That would be quite difficult, given how carefully designed the overworld map is. I wasn't thinking much about practicality when I made the editor. I didn't have a good reason to make it in the first place, except to cut my teeth on gameboy hacking, I guess.

Hack looks neato. Carry on.

Interesting approach to ROM hacking here. I'm of the opinion that it's very difficult to make a good hack without at least some coding changes. You can get pretty far in games like SMW, but even then the formula begins to get stale without some new tricks. So it's nice to see someone not relying completely on my editor.

And yeah, I basically agree that WL3 isn't a suitable game for hacking. At least not without a way to control progression. That would be quite difficult, given how carefully designed the overworld map is. I wasn't thinking much about practicality when I made the editor. I didn't have a good reason to make it in the first place, except to cut my teeth on gameboy hacking, I guess.

Hack looks neato. Carry on.

Thanks for your kind words man ! (You can't imagine how excited I was when I saw your name popped-up in the notifications. :warioisshocked: )

Hey, whatever reason you had, I would have never touched this game if you didn't have one, and didn't put time & efforts into its creation ! Then I couldn't care much about practicality when I can make almost anything on it level-wise. :perfectwario:It's too good to leave it rot alone in the depths of internet, and returning on super mario games' editors/hacking tools feel incredibly boring and pointless now that I can toy with this almost uncharted game.

I have already coded some logic to do as I want with the progression, it isn't appealing visually but I don't feel like touching the visuals of the map right now, and as long as it works I don't care much. Though I need to correct it because it's overcomplicated and depends too much on the game's actions for no reason.

I'll make a new recording soon since I made huge progress on a level and several mechanics. It included the warp system I talked about, but also bouncy note blocks, magnetic platforms, gates opening and closing in real time (based on wario's state), and finally a huge amelioration of vampire-wario (+ special blocks designed around this form too). 3 chests completed around this new stuff, I had a lot of fun designing the level around but wew, programming all this shit was rough (lotsa irritating trials & errors). Now that this level is almost complete, I want to work on new levels and ideas.

Though I have something to say, "magnetic platforms" is a bit misleading : those ain't the sort of stuff you see in ratchet & clank games where you can run on walls with special boots ! It's more like a high gravity field making Wario jump lower while he's on those platforms. It's still magnetic-looking, but it's less impressive. :)
Recordings are done, I'm currently making the video on sony vegas and it shouldn't take too long before completion.

Have to be honest, I was picturing something more like platforms you moved around the level with magnets. Like Wario's gimmick in Yoshi's Island DS.

Ah well, it could still be cool.

Have to be honest, I was picturing something more like platforms you moved around the level with magnets. Like Wario's gimmick in Yoshi's Island DS.

Ah well, it could still be cool.

Interesting gimmick. It doesn't seem incredibly hard to reproduce in WL3, for example to adapt it to the golf block (in relation to a modified barrel or stone wario is holding). Though the game can't store more than 8 "non-wario objects" at once in the RAM, so for complex puzzles in huge regions I'd have to give it an hand and store for the game the positions of these magnetic blocks/platforms. Nothing is impossible with a script + it's a general problem I could solve for other purposes.

Looks great! Definitely expands on the rolling mechanics of the original game rather nicely there.

A new level core-mechanic has been made : thunder falling from the sky and aiming for wario and other enemies periodically, also activating torchs, and doors through electricity-friendly poles. I'll make a short video soon.

Back