You've now made me want to hear the Donkey Kong Country 1-3 soundtrack in Wario Land 4's soundfont.
sweat.png

Going to be discussing the current status of the Wario Land 4 2 rom hack and my thoughts on the current state of the maker on a live stream @ 11 AM EST. Hope to see everyone there!

Okay, so.
I wanted to incorporate the name of the original track, and it gave me the idea of actually maybe having the level be like Labyrinth Zone from Sonic 1, sort of? The original already had lots o' water, but I feel like the timer was the main source of stress, and the water, and all that garbo, that was just cheap shit, y'know? I feel like the new Golden Passage should be more maze-like, with no timer until you've reached the end of the maze (that way, you can actually fucking hear the level track), Metroid-like, almost, with the entire lower third being completely flooded-- the big fruit-like fish from Mystic Lake could return somewhere in that area, as could the alligators from Monsoon Jungle.

Wario could start out at the center, with the frog statue literally within sight, but it's like

tenor.gif

and you gotta work your way around this large maze that uses bits from old levels, like the curious factory's crusher weights and the aforementioned ally-gatoes & mystic lake troupples, for example. Then, once you've activated the switch, retrace your steps :-o

Last edited:

Okay, so.
I wanted to incorporate the name of the original track, and it gave me the idea of actually maybe having the level be like Labyrinth Zone from Sonic 1, sort of? The original already had lots o' water, but I feel like the timer was the main source of stress, and the water, and all that garbo, that was just cheap shit, y'know? I feel like the new Golden Passage should be more maze-like, with no timer until you've reached the end of the maze (that way, you can actually fucking hear the level track), Metroid-like, almost, with the entire lower third being completely flooded-- the big fruit-like fish from Mystic Lake could return somewhere in that area, as could the alligators from Monsoon Jungle.

Wario could start out at the center, with the frog statue literally within sight, but it's like
View attachment 9753

tenor.gif

and you gotta work your way around this large maze that uses bits from old levels, like the curious factory's crusher weights and the aforementioned ally-gatoes & mystic lake troupples, for example. Then, once you've activated the switch, retrace your steps :-o

Sounds like a great idea! I actually imported a maze in one of the levels that I believe were originally supposed to be Big Board, but my friend said its more Golden Pyramid. Ill keep this idea under my notes

we could have the replacement for CMV be a pirate-kinda level that uses the underground tiles and background as the main background shit, and then use as its level theme. Having CMV take place more inside the underground sewer section gives us a more original level concept and using this song kinda dodges our ever-present problem of wondering what the goddamn hell could stand in as Crescent Moon Village's theme song, know what'm sayin'.

It never switches to the outside thing except for maybe the part with the frog statue
the rest is ALWAYS switching between these tilesets, the underground and the inside. It could be like Deep Blue Quay from LittleBigPlanet.

we could have the replacement for CMV be a pirate-kinda level that uses the underground tiles and background as the main background shit, and then use as its level theme. Having CMV take place more inside the underground sewer section gives us a more original level concept and using this song kinda dodges our ever-present problem of wondering what the goddamn hell could stand in as Crescent Moon Village's theme song, know what'm sayin'.

It never switches to the outside thing except for maybe the part with the frog statue
the rest is ALWAYS switching between these tilesets, the underground and the inside. It could be like Deep Blue Quay from LittleBigPlanet.
View attachment 9843

Ill put that under consideration, but I think we could use a better song, possibly?

Making a CMV-based level that largely takes place in the sewers and using Lockjaw's Locker for it seems a good idea, I have to say. Remember, the original level where the piece was used for took place in a sunken ship hold, which I think is similar enough to navigating through the village's sewers system to justify the use of this theme.

Making a CMV-based level that largely takes place in the sewers and using Lockjaw's Locker for it seems a good idea, I have to say. Remember, the original level where the piece was used for took place in a sunken ship hold, which I think is similar enough to navigating through the village's sewers system to justify the use of this theme.
I can see why you say that, but I hear CMV as more of a calmer song than this? Like the original CMV music has? I just thought that we can use Scarlet Forest for this song, @tahutoa what are your thoughts?

Back