Wario Land 4 Soundfont

When I got the download from this page, I didn't realize dude had included a readme. I've spent the last hour going through each and every instrument, labeling them in a Word document. I despaired when I came back to this page, but immediately felt better once I realized that I had written down every single instrument, rather than just the select few listed in the readme. Since I can't attach MS Word doc's, I'm going to attempt to paste all of them in this forum.

I've put the way each of the (overly prolific) voice-based instruments sounds within parentheses. If the sound has a period at the end, the sound has a set end point.
For the misc. sfx, the individual groups of sounds are listed with a letter.

Wario Land 4 SoundFont Instrument Names (in order from top to bottom, according to the Sound Bank):

EDIT: To save everyone's time, I've deleted all the instruments listed here, but I'm leaving the post here so that the preceding and following posts still make something remotely resembling logical sense. Just scroll to the bottom and download the .zip that has all the preset names in it.

Last edited:
Wow are there so many instruments and sounds in WL4? Never thought there were so many.
Well, you have to remember that most of them are the individual syllables from the songs with lyrics (Palm Tree Paradise) in particular. Not only that, but each voice instrument has two of itself included - one harder, one softer (both of them come one after the other, but the order for hard vs. soft varies). There are also plenty of other instruments that repeat, as well, such as the Muted Sweet Trumpet (seen in Arabian Nights) and the Crescent Moon Village EP, where one instance of the instrument might include echo, while another might have it's notes fade out.

EDIT: Went through the list again while trying to figure out how to make CMV's EP echo. Turns out there's only one instance of the CMV EP, and the other two are just regular EPs.
Hmm... I wonder if the echo is accomplished by using the Mystic Lake Vibraphone.

Last edited:
IMPORTANT DISCOVERY:
You can increase the sound quality of the instruments!

Normally, they sound a bit fuzzy. However, while working on making a Crescent Moon Village MIDI in FL Studio (I'll link when it's done), I found that by opening the Channel Mixer, applying Fruity Free Filter, setting "Type" to Peaking, "Q" to three bars, and setting the frequency to anywhere between 4500 and 5000 hertz, you can make the instruments sound like they came straight from an emulator!

(I had a sneaking suspicion that you could do something like this, since you could in VisualBoyAdvance's Audio drop-down menu -- I figured I'd try setting it to High Pass and see if it had the same effect. Lo and behold, it's actually "Peaking.")

Attachments

• FL Studio WL4 Screenshot.png
    FL Studio WL4 Screenshot.png
    74.6 KB · Views: 776
The song is coming along quite nicely. I've finished work on the Bass, EP, Mandolin, Ambient SFX (Yes, I found out what the sounds' sources are) and "Daow, Daow, Daow!" All that's left are the Drums, Strings, the Distorted Guitar, and a little bit of adjustment for the lower-pitched BG sfx (the notes are in the right place, they just need to be pitched and things).

For the moment, have the picture I've made for the (eventual) upload on SoundCloud. I used a pic of Vampire Wario, since he makes an appearance in that level, and I tried to make it match up with CMV's kind of creepy atmosphere -- it seems pretty violet to me, but maybe I should make it more of a steel blue, like the real level. You guys give me your input, 'cause I could always use a second opinion for things like this.

wow 155 looks and not one Artistic smh

Attachments

• Vumpear Weario.png
    Vumpear Weario.png
    39.7 KB · Views: 743
Last edited:
It's finished! Here's the Wario Land 4 version of the mp3(s), and the WL4 MIDI.

The first mp3 was initially saved as 220bpm, then slowed down to 110bpm.
The 2nd mp3 forgoes that in favor of being set to the true speed of 110bpm from the get-go.

The MIDI is catered to the Wario Land 4 Soundfont.

Red: Drums
Red-Orange: "Whu-whu-whu-whup whup"
Orange: "Daow! Daow! Daow!"
Dandelion: Strings
Yellow: Mandolin/Acoustic Guitar
Yellow-Green: Distortion Guitar
Lime: Backing Distortion Guitar
Green: Record Scratch (Doodle Woods laugh - "He-he")
Seafoam Green: BG Voice (Doodle Woods laugh - "(Gasp)")
Teal: Main Electric Piano
Blue: Eeow Bass

Attachments

• Crescent Moon Village.zip
    3.2 MB · Views: 514
Here's the version that would be used with other Soundfonts. I inserted the Touhou and SGM soundfonts to make changes and ensure that it was still acceptable without the WL4 soundfont. This version will be the one to be posted on, say, VGMusic.com.

Attachments

• Crescent Moon Village.zip
    3.2 MB · Views: 824
That sounds really good! The first version sound perfect, rather like what the game version would sound like without the GBA's limitations. Nice job there!

Second version sounds fantastic too! Great job on both of them!

That's because I didn't see drums listed under the MIDI preparation dealy

Drums are part 10 by default, so try to set the drums as part 10 and see it if works. (not sure about the name, part or pattern or whatever)

Okay, so, by now I'd long since realized that they were referring to Channel 10 when they said Part 10, and so I'd since published a re-do of the CMV MIDI, over on VGMusic, so go check that out.

Later today I'll post another reply that actually includes what I intended to upload here, which is an update for the soundfont that actually provides names for the presets (it took a long time, since I had to use my old MS Word doc for it, but it was worth it in the end).

Okay, so I tried to upload the version of the soundfont Pigmask gave us that actually uses these labels, but it was too big. This updated version of the document that I used to make said labels should apply quite nicely. Polyphone essentially forced me to write down the Preset/Sound Banks, because the differences in structure between how it and FL displays order of instruments was screwin' with me.

Attachments

• Wario Land 4 SoundFont Instrument Names.zip
    21.8 KB · Views: 992
For those of you who want to hear the hardest-to-make-out tracks from Crescent Moon Village, but couldn't be bothered to figure out which of the 800+ MIDIs it was.

"CHL04" is the BG SFX:
  • Hurry Up!
    • "E-o-ke-ke" voice
  • Doodle Woods
    • Laughter (Initial Gasp)
    • Laughter (First Couple Hehe's)
"CHL06" is the Electric Guitar:
  • Crescent Moon Village
    • Picked
    • Overdriven
((It's the whole track for both of them so you'll have to do some skipping around))

Attachments

• song667 (Crescent Moon Village)[CHL04,wario,Type 0 @0x96434].mp3
    1.9 MB · Views: 813
  • song667 (Crescent Moon Village)[CHL06,wario,Type 0 @0x96530].mp3
    1.9 MB · Views: 601
Back