Wario's Companions

Which of Wario's companions is your favorite?

• Princess Shokora (Wario Land 4)

Votes: 13 68.4%
  • The Spritelings (Wario World)

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Goodstyle (Wario: Master of Disguise)

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Merfle (Wario Land: Shake It)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Captain Syrup (Wario Land: Shake It)

Votes: 4 21.1%

• Total voters

Dr. Mechano

a-gonna ween
In Wario Land 1-3, Wario went it alone on his adventures (with the arguable exception of getting directions from Rudy in Wario Land 3, although in that case he was being manipulated rather than assisted). However, starting with Wario Land 4, Wario began running into allies who assisted him on his adventures. I'd like to talk briefly about each of them, and give my thoughts!

Wario Land 4 - Princess Shokora
qiGOENu.png

Let's start with Princess Shokora, in Wario Land 4. Prior to Wario's arrival at the Golden Pyramid, Shokora was cursed by the Golden Diva, forced to take on the form of a cat or a humanoid silhouette rather than her true form. Throughout the game, Shokora guides Wario, subtly pointing him in the right direction, as well as assisting him against the bosses with her array of items. In the end, the curse is broken, and Shokora is truly grateful for Wario's help. While she's quickly whisked away before the two really have time to get to know one another, I felt that she and Wario actually did bond a bit over the course of the game; even sharing a hearty laugh after escaping from the pyramid. The two manage to help each other, which makes Shokora more than just a distressed damsel, and an actual character with agency.

If you have 45 minutes, I recommend Treasure Trove's video essay on Shokora; It's full of some really interesting insight.

Wario World - Spritelings
200px-Green_Guy.PNG

Next up, the Spritelings. Captured by the Black Jewel, the Spritelings all offer Wario valuable advice when they're rescued. When Wario squares off against the Black Jewel itself, the Spritelings arrive and help him defeat it - teaming up with Wario to damage the boss. Finally, after its defeat, they use their magical powers to restore Wario's castle to its former glory - or even beyond, depending on how many you rescue. While the manual itself says that Wario finds these little guys annoying, it's clear that they do appreciate his help, and gladly reward him for his efforts.

Like Shokora, they actively fight back against their and Wario's common enemy, and do more than just wait to be rescued. While I find them a little less interesting than Shokora, and feel that we don't really see much significant interaction between them and Wario, they're still perfectly serviceable companions, and add something to Wario World by being there.

Wario: Master of Disguise - Goodstyle
180px-Goodstyle.jpg

Goodstyle was originally the magic wand wielded by Count Cannoli, which allowed him to transform into the mysterious thief, the Silver Zephyr. Wario pilfers the wand and uses it to become his own phantom thief persona, the Purple Wind. Throughout the game, Cannoli attempts to get Goodstyle back, while Wario uses him to transform into a variety of magical disguises in his quest to find the legendary Wishstone.

I feel that Goodstyle and Wario had really good chemistry, in part due to Master of Disguise's expansive dialogue compared to the other Wario games. The two talk a lot throughout their adventure, and get plenty of time to bond on Wario's quest. By the end of the game, I felt like Wario and Goodstyle had developed an odd sort of friendship; It helps that, despite Wario's crass and rude nature, Goodstyle is patient and polite enough to get along swimmingly with him. In the end, even though it's revealed that Goodstyle is in fact the originator of the Cannoli clan, he rewards Wario for defeating Terrormisu with all the treasure he wants - which, unfortunately, he's unable to take back with him through the TV. Oh well, at least he offered, right?

Wario Land: Shake It - Merfle
230px-Mereldasubject.jpg

The Merfles are the subjects of Queen Merelda in the Shake Dimension, which has been seized by the wicked Shake King. Desperate for help, one Merfle in particular seeks Wario's aid, convincing him to defeat the Shake King once he hears of the Bottomless Coin Sack. The Merfles function similarly to the Spritelings - most of them are captured, and rescuing them grants Wario the ability to fight against the bosses, by way of their magical ability to unlock the boss gates. They also act as guides to Wario, helping him get back to the stage entrance after rescuing them as well as giving him a rough appraisal of each area's difficulty.

Wario doesn't seem to think too highly of these guys either, and ends the game rightly angry at the green Merfle for agreeing to let Captain Syrup have the coin sack that he worked so hard for. Speaking of Syrup...

Wario Land: Shake It - Captain Syrup
200px-WLSSyrup.png

Yes, Wario's arch-rival from Wario Land and Wario Land II is back, this time to form an alliance with him. While she doesn't assist in fighting the Shake King's forces directly, she does offer her services to Wario by selling him maps, health upgrades, and other goodies. She also gives him the magical globe that he needs to get into the Shake Dimension in the first place.

But Wario should have known better than to trust Syrup, given their history. In the end, Syrup allows Wario to do all the heavy lifting for her, and makes off with the Bottomless Coin Sack. Sure, Wario got to keep all the treasures and coins he collected on his adventures in the Shake Dimension, but a greedy guy like him won't be satisfied with that alone!

Despite Syrup being manipulative, she is helpful in Wario's quest, and it was interesting to see these two classic enemies on the same side for once - if only temporarily. Syrup's flirtatiousness with Wario and tendency to call him handsome - contrasted with Wario not caring at all about that, and just focusing on the money - was pretty funny too. All in all, it was interesting to see them work together, but I have a feeling the next time we see these two, they'll be at odds again.

So, then! What do you think? Do you like the idea of Wario having allies that assist him on his adventures? Or would you prefer Wario go completely solo, as he did in his earlier games? Of these companion characters, which do you like/dislike the most? Let's talk about it!

I'm conflicted on whether to vote for Shokora or Goodstyle, Shokora is a great example of the silent and subtle storytelling that Wario Land has always been very good with and the ending really get's to show a different site of Wario, given that he cares enough about what he thinks is just a stray cat, to take her with him while escaping the crumbling pyramid.

Goodstyle on the other hand stands out for the mere fact that we get to see a very extensive amount of interaction between him and Wario, which allows them to really develop a lot of chemistry and fun dynamic, that despite their differences, makes them feel like a real duo.

If we are talking pure character and concept then Captain Syrup would be up there as well, but I always found her to be criminally underutilized in Shake It, it's great she came back at all, but I would have expected a more active role from her.

That's a mighty nifty writeup, Prof. Mechano, sir!
Did you type it on one of them computers? The ones that go "whirrr"?

Anyway, concerning the topic at hand,
I think Wario's best without his friendly-NPC-band.

Sure, those gents can be a jolly bit of fun,
But Wario works alone -- he doesn't work with just anyone!

Now, Shokora is good, and Miss Syrup is the most.
But who needs them when Wario's the host?

Tally-ho, Thompson!

When will Waluigi make the scene? When will we know if he's friend or foe?
I'm fine with Waluigi being in a new kind of Wario game that isn't Land or Ware
I'm...open to Waluigi showing up in the Ware series since that series does have some stronger connections to the Mario series than the Land games mostly through 9-Volt's microgames.
However, I still have reservations about Waluigi being in a Land game.

I'm fine with Waluigi being in a new kind of Wario game that isn't Land or Ware
I'm...open to Waluigi showing up in the Ware series since that series does have some stronger connections to the Mario series than the Land games mostly through 9-Volt's microgames.
However, I still have reservations about Waluigi being in a Land game.
I'd argue Land has stronger connections, since Mario himself actually appeared in person (as opposed to just in minigames) in the first Land game - albeit for just a few seconds.

I'd argue Land has stronger connections, since Mario himself actually appeared in person (as opposed to just in minigames) in the first Land game - albeit for just a few seconds.
Yeah but that was before the Land series really found itself. Mario references have been consistent throughout the Ware series.

Well, if the Psycho Waluigi and Mario and the Midas Machine gamesare accurate, Waluigi could certainly work in a Wario Land type game. He's not a bad choice of character for a platformer, and can be made unique in his skillset.

But I'm not sure if him appearing in an actual Wario Land game would be the best idea.

Well, if the Psycho Waluigi and Mario and the Midas Machine gamesare accurate, Waluigi could certainly work in a Wario Land type game. He's not a bad choice of character for a platformer, and can be made unique in his skillset.

But I'm not sure if him appearing in an actual Wario Land game would be the best idea.

WarioLand's level play on Wario's powers and transformations quite a bit. I've always wanted to see Waluigi as a player 2 in those games with his own level paths with unique treasures catering to his abilities but i don't see it happening. Its WarioLand not Wario Bros. Also if you can't smash blocks it ain't the heart and soul of WarioLand.

Though i can totally see Waluigi in one of Wario's off shoot platformers. Assuming Nintendo is willing to take a chance on one of the weird Wario games they could totally put him in as a playable character. He could have his own unique powers in a Master of Disguise esque game or his own moveset in a WarioWorld style game. Waluigi could hit enemies with a tennis racket or something or give him a clean slate for appearing in a more traditional game for the first time.

I don't really think it'll happen but yea if it does it could work out pretty good

Even a nonplayable appearance from Waluigi in a Wario Land game would be welcome, I'd say. Just having him appear in a Wario title - even if it's just in a supporting role - would really strengthen his identity and connection with the Wario games.

I could totally see Waluigi running some kind of item/upgrade station. They could even play with his association with cheating by having Waluigi unlock "cheats" or other extras by finding enough Waluigi Coins or something.

I'd say. Just having him appear in a Wario title - even if it's just in a supporting role - would really strengthen his identity and connection with the Wario games.
It's pretty interesting. Aside from a few very small references and cameo appearances in the WarioWare series, Waluigi is pretty much entirely a Mario only character and has zero connection at all to the Wario games themselves.

I'd like to ask, why do you guys think this is? There have been some opportunities for this yet it has never happened. The Wario series as a whole is probably the most insulated of all the Mario sub-series, much more so than Donkey Kong or Yoshi.

I feel like it might have to do with different developers being reluctant to use characters from sub-series developed by other studios, it's just my assumption, but it would go a long way to explain why the RPGs (especially Mario & Luigi) are also very isolated from the rest of the Mario franchise or why the EAD created Toadette really became a breakout character (for spin off character levels anyway), while the Camelot created Waluigi only ever get's references at best in non-spin off games.

R&D1 and SPD1 created franchises generally don't get as much as EAD franchises, next to Metroid, Wario is probably the most fortunate in terms of getting content from his games to show up elsewhere. Yoshi's Island by comparison was EAD created and has a lot of stuff from it show up in Mario games, with Kamek and the babies even becoming regulars and the Donkey Kong series likely get's a pass due to it's impressive sales.

I also feel that R&D1 (and bx proxy SPD1) always prefered to work with their own characters, which may have been an additional nail in the coffin for Waluigi in Wario games.

I feel like it might have to do with different developers being reluctant to use characters from sub-series developed by other studios, it's just my assumption, but it would go a long way to explain why the RPGs (especially Mario & Luigi) are also very isolated from the rest of the Mario franchise or why the EAD created Toadette really became a breakout character (for spin off character levels anyway), while the Camelot created Waluigi only ever get's references at best in non-spin off games.

R&D1 and SPD1 created franchises generally don't get as much as EAD franchises, next to Metroid, Wario is probably the most fortunate in terms of getting content from his games to show up elsewhere. Yoshi's Island by comparison was EAD created and has a lot of stuff from it show up in Mario games, with Kamek and the babies even becoming regulars and the Donkey Kong series likely get's a pass due to it's impressive sales.

I also feel that R&D1 (and bx proxy SPD1) always prefered to work with their own characters, which may have been an additional nail in the coffin for Waluigi in Wario games.
That would make the most sense. Though, I wonder if there's also other reasons. Isn't Birdo technically an EAD creation too? While her association with Yoshi is mostly only shown in spin-offs, it was acknowledged in the EAD made Mario Kart: Double Dash. However, I don't remember it up coming up anywhere else.

That would make the most sense. Though, I wonder if there's also other reasons. Isn't Birdo technically an EAD creation too? While her association with Yoshi is mostly only shown in spin-offs, it was acknowledged in the EAD made Mario Kart: Double Dash. However, I don't remember it up coming up anywhere else.
As far as I know she is a EAD character and the connection between her and Yoshi was also brought up in the baseball games and Mario Party 7 (where she's his partner) and it was actually the title screen of Mario Tennis 64 that first paired them together in any form.

We do occassionally things from other developers in EAD games, I mean Daisy stuck around and Wario was popular enough to become one of the big league Marioverse characters and we also got stuff like the Goomba King from Paper Mario 64 in Super Mario 64 DS and Mario Kart DS.

Truth to be told there are exceptions to the rules, but just why some of those exceptions come to be and just what exactly the process of what get's put into these games is, is something I'm not certain of, but the fact that let's say, content from the R&D1 developed Mario Land games get's very little representation compared to every other plattformer in the franchise does indicate to me that there's some reluctance for any particular reason.

As far as I know she is a EAD character and the connection between her and Yoshi was also brought up in the baseball games and Mario Party 7 (where she's his partner) and it was actually the title screen of Mario Tennis 64 that first paired them together in any form.
Sorry the distinction I meant was that she never appears in any non-spin offs but didn't know how to phrase it properly since none of the Yoshi games after Yoshi's Story were made by EAD. I agree with everything else you said.

Sorry the distinction I meant was that she never appears in any non-spin offs but didn't know how to phrase it properly since none of the Yoshi games after Yoshi's Story were made by EAD. I agree with everything else you said.
Ah, I see, but that is very much true, aside from a Mystery Mushroom costume in Mario Maeker she's been completely MIA from the plattformers since her debut and never even been referenced in any of the Yoshi games, she's more at home in the RPGs at this point and even that's surprising.

Back