WarioWare: DIY General Thoughts

SurrealBrain

I like Amitie.
I've seen several threads about this, but I looked, and didn't see a thread dedicated to thoughts on the game in general. If there is and I missed it, feel free to lock this thread or merge it with that one.

Anyways, I figure I'll state my thoughts.

I'm gonna be completely honest. This was the first WarioWare game I ever got. I bought it at a Meijer store, where I found it for fairly cheap. Since it was unlikely I'd find a better price for it, I figured "why the heck not?" and bought it. I especially liked the idea of making your own games, even if they were short ones.

Put it short: I don't regret that decision, for it was a great one, and it convinced me to check out others in the series.

But, to make it long, I'll start with the positives: the premade microgames are fun as always. Just a shame there weren't more characters, though DIY Showcase seems to rectify that somewhat. Still need to get DIY Showcase, by the way.

There's a surprising amount of things you can do for microgames of your own. Whether they be simple or complex, basically, if it can be a microgame, it's completely possible. You can even go in directions the series hasn't gone to! (Whether or not they be for good reason) Basically, the game making alone is a goldmine for replay value, which is a plus.

What story is there is funny. I liked Wario and Penny's banter, and the characters immediately won me over with how entertaining they were.

Another thing is the ability to make comics. Sure they're only four panels, and in black-and-white, but honestly, maybe it's just me, but I like this feature. If you want a longer story, you can still make several comics that tell said story. Want to make something original? Want to make your own contribution to Wario's world? Want to make something featuring a character from a completely separate franchise? It's possible! Plus, maybe it's just me, but I think I actually make better stories when there are limitations set.

The unlockable records also provide a good incentive to keep playing, and I like what I unlocked. Also, normally, being randomized unlockables would be a negative...but look at the actual negatives below to see why it might actually be a good thing in this case.

Now, however, we must go on to the negatives. No game is truly perfect, after all.

First off, the game making tools can be a bit hard to use. Even when the tutorial explains things, you might still have difficulty figuring stuff out, and even when you think you got it, some stuff might not work like it's supposed to. I still can't figure out how to make a character jump properly!

Also of note, there really isn't much story here at all. What is there is fun, but I can't help but feel that the game could have done with at least a few more characters, if nothing else. It seems DIY Showcase rectifies it somewhat, but even then, it requires you to buy another game to get the complete experience. which can be annoying if you don't have good internet, or you're like me and downloading games depends on circumstances that are barely in your control.

Not to mention that due to all internet services for the Wii and DS (well, other than the Wii Shop Channel. Thank goodness that was kept) being taken down earlier this year, you can no longer unlock all the records in a single file. Hope you unlocked them all before May 20th, 2014, or else you're screwed unless you either A) know somebody with a copy of the game, or B) have DIY Showcase, copy the music, don't care about the fact that they're mere copies and aren't afraid to delete your save file in DIY.

All in all, though, the positive, far as I'm concerned, outweigh the negatives, and I do not regret making the purchase that fateful day. We need more games like this, and hopefully they may revisit and expand upon the tools put forth by this game.

Any thoughts you'd like to share?

The Game Design "Dojo" was a neat way to teach the basics of great game elements like probability, hidden areas, switches, and frames, etc. Definitely helpful and I liked how they had you think it out for yourself. Not sure how the microgame sales is calculated but probably by the quality of the art, programming, music, not sure on it but likely. Making records was my favorite part of it however all of it was a genius, no, Intelligent, concept. It's all about putting a small amount of effort in and show the entertainment value of making these "crafts". In-game music and game content is also full of little details to base your own games off of or borrow concepts. But because there was quite a bit of space for more games, records, and comics in DIY, there is not much of a story. Guess it didn't need that much of one if there was so much personality in the tutorials and games. There may be a limited amount of time you would want to play but it's a great game to go back to every now and then to be creative.

You two already stated basically everything I like and don't like about D.I.Y. (especially the fun Penny/Wario dialogue). All I should add is:

- I much recommend Showcase even without being able to send/receive stuff online, especially for having more fun stages/comics/music. I really liked 9-Volt/18-Volt's story on it!
- I love the crazy sounds you can make with the music player (Showcase has a Balloon Fighter music player which is fun but not as good).
- I much enjoy the fact that the WarioWare characters have favorite comic authors, have drawn some comics themselves, or have remixed some music. It shows a lot of their taste and personalities.

I can appreciate what D.I.Y tried to do, but I think it was really crippled by envisoning it as an utility first and a game second. It really should have been a WarioWare game with an editor rather than an editor with half of a mediocre WarioWare game.

I gotta give it the following, though:

1: The tutorial is 1) well-done and 2) funny. Went a long way toward making me like Penny's character.

2: The comics are hilarious.

----

Incideentally, I've heard this custom server lets you trade games and download the promo microgames post-WFC shutdown. I haven't tried it myself, tho.

They should made a new and impoved WarioWare DIY game. I had the idea to make that happen for PC and create a comunity to share microgames and stuff, but a bit more expanded that what we have. The reason is that the editor is kind of limited (there is no dragging of entities around, image limit and small details) and the online services are down which cuts the online comunity part (the best of WWDIY). *Just dreaming*

I didn't really understand the paper-thin "plot." Did Ashley, Mona, 9-Volt, Jimmy T., and the rest all leave WarioWare Inc. to work for Diamond Software, or was it just a secret branch of WarioWare? I remember the PC message board thing in the game mentioning a rumor that Wario owns it. Why did they leave? Was it over the pay, or lack thereof? There could have been a neat little story with it if they had given it some thought.

I felt the contests were ridiculous; they said "art style doesn't matter," but of course the deviantArt-tier entry that looked straight out of a manga instantly won things. It made me feel kind of insecure, especially after I took all that time making a microgame about Olimar throwing bombs at Yoshi.

This one's just me, I'm sure, but when Penny used the Ashley stamp in the comic tutorial, something in me thought Nintendo supported my pairing.

Shut up.

First off, I agree with what's been said.
Now...
I can't praise the Dojo enough. That is the perfect way to teach.... basically to teach in general. The Wario & Penny tutorials were good ways to teach the essentials but for the more complicated things they really had to do something different.
...which they pulled off perfectly!
You don't get told how to do something, you have to figure it out yourself. And it's always something simple enough that you can solve it with a few clicks.
And by figuring it out yourself not only do you always get a sense of accomplishment but your experience sticks. You learn by experiencing, not by memorizing.
Basically the opposite of the current educational system. :V

Do it yourself and Showcase are an intersting case for me.

I do really enjoy a lot of the content that's already in the games, Jimmy's Aerobics has to be heard to be believed, the selection of games they used in 18-Volt's roster of microgames (Wrecking Crew, Donkey Kong Country,
Wario Land 4) is my personal favorite one in the entire series and the tutorial is not only helpful but entertaining as well, so I really do enjoy the content that's already there.

The thing is thought that I never really did much with the
"Do it yourself" part of the game, not because it was bad mind you (it was actually really well done) but after tinkering around with it for a while, I just sorta putt that part of the game down.
I couldn't tell you why that was and nowadays I do wish that I would have done more with it back then, thought despite that I still hold the game in high regard because I do think that it archived what it wanted to do.

Back