Was Shake It a miracle?

Though I don't think Team Ninja was to blame for Other M's writing? I thought they only did grunt work.

More or less. Other M's plot and concept were thought up by Sakamoto; Team Ninja were approached due to SPD 1's small headcount and inexperience with 3D. They tried to argue with Sakamoto on some points according to the Iwata Aks (biggest being that they pushed to use the nunchuck, while Sakamoto saw it as "cheating" [???]), but they were mostly rebiffed.

>brings in team experienced with big budget 3D games because yu cant do 3D gaem

>promptly ignore said team's advice about how to do 3D gaem

• Informative
Reactions: 607
If Sakamoto is still this clueless about other games, then he needs to be whipped into shape by Nintendo.

But they don't want to because they want his team to fail and die slowly.

there's many problems with that theory but I'll point out just one;

Tomodachi Life was an huge success. It sold one million and nearly a half in Japan, sold one million in Europe (traditionally not a strong territory for Nintendo) and by all indications, did very well in NA too. Even if we accept the premise SPD 1 is somehow on Nintendo's bad graces after Other M, Kiki Trick, G&W...etc bombed, I really doubt they'd try to drop the minds behind that game like a bad habit, even if it's just to make more Tomodachi Liefs : p.

I'm disheartened by the lack of info about spd 1's current status and marketing always focusing on EAD's properties, but it's much healthier to assume incompetence rather than a deliberate conspiracy. Ever heard of Occam's razor?

Tomodachi Life did that well mainly because it had Miis in it, and Nintendo always wants to push that a lot, it seems.

And did they want anyone to know that SPD 1 made it?

Tomodachi Life did that well mainly because it had Miis in it, and Nintendo always wants to push that a lot, it seems.

Most people don't know what team makes what game, because Nintendo aims for the general publick, it's not like alphadream or similar studios get anymore push than SPD 1.
I don't see why they would want to get rid of them either and even if
Tomodachi life was only succesful because of the Miis it was still the SPD 1's efford, more teams means more games, more games means more potential profit, it's basic logic.

Tomodachi Life did that well mainly because it had Miis in it

Indeed, that's why the Wii U version of Wii Sports was such a resounding success.

Eh? There were plenty of interviews with Sakamoto around the game's surprise localization annoucement. That shows they don't consider him or his department to be poison, and beside, the notion Nintendo would try to "ruin" a department that has produced many successful games (instead of, y'know, firing them) is ludicrous.

Nintendo doesn't really hype up its talents (beside Miyamoto, for obvious reasons), so it's not like SPD 1 is singled out. Like, there's obviously going to be much more interviews and promo material for EAD-developed games, but that's because that department is much bigger and produce a lot more content. It's not like they push Takao Shimizu or Yoshiaki Koizumi either (or essentially, a more long-winded version of what Warelander said above).

• Agree
Reactions: 607
How often did Sakamoto show up for Tomodachi Life though?

But otherwise, you're right. Hell, people still don't know who the fuck Takashi Tezuka is. It's almost always Miyamoto and Sakurai (and Sakurai's no wizard either, contrary to what the fanboys always make of him). A bit of Aonuma here and there, but only because it's Zelda.

^ I'd be on board with that. Nintendo should let them go for it.

And also, the real reason that Tomodachi Life did so well is because Nintendo went out of their way to make it a big deal. For the most part, if something is going to succeed, it's something that Nintendo wants to succeed.

Also, what the heck has Takao Shimizu done lately? We haven't heard from him in eternity.

Last edited:
You know who should take a shot at a new Wario Land?

Next Level Games. They made games like Mario Strikers, Punch-Out for Wii and Luigi's Mansion 2.
Punch-Out Wii was amazingly well done! I'd love to see how they'd do it.

Given their work on Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon... yeah, I'd really love a new Wario Land game by them. Especially if they get the same guy to compose the music.

Yeah, exactly.

How can you not want this sort of music in a Wario game?

It is definitely a good soundtrack...

(I especially like these songs : )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6UPn5QGypQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHpecqQrT1k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHpecqQrT1k

...I'm just wondering if they would do a good job on a Wario soundtrack in particular.
Wario Land/World music is very different from Luigi's Mansion. It has always had a very specific... dunno... attitude? Know what I mean?

We haven't heard from Next Level in a long time. What could they possibly be up to now? When will they get to talk about it?

On another note, Captain Syrup sucks. Even though she appeared in the first two Wario Land titles, it's still not enough to establish her as the "main villain" of the series, seeing as other different ones started appearing in all the other Wario platformers after the second. And when she did appear in Shake It, her role has been reduced to nothing more than a mere shopkeeper. Not to mention, her face is as ugly as Pauline's.

Her appearing in half of the Land series does matter, considering that all of the other big bads where just one shots( Yes even Rudy, Dr.Mario 64 isn't a Wario game after all).
On the subject of her face beeing ugly, not only do I disagree but I also have to ask why female characters have to meet some kind of visual standard, while male characters don't, they are supposed to be characters not fap material.

Last edited:
someone managed to pierce together next level game was making (pitching? Prototyping? Whatev) a metroid gaem before dark moon. wheter or not they went back to it, nobody knows.

On another note, Captain Syrup sucks.

that's kinda a non-sequitur, no?

n the subject of her face beeing ugly, not only do I disagree but I also have to ask why female characters have to meet some kind of visual standard, while male character don't, they are supposed to be characters not fap material.

that too.

The problem with Syrup is her stealing treasure from Wario, when it should be always the opposite. In this case, she got the favoritism for being "prettier" than he is. This is not how it works in Wario Land. :/

She still had a much smaller role in Shake It. So much for a big return of a big important character.
So?
The fact that she was brought back at all says a lot in her favor.
Especially since she was the only character (sans Wario obviously) to be brought back in Shake it, which says a lot about her importance to the Land series.

Back