Well, we've now finished phase 1 of the Wario Forums upgrade

CM30

Diamond City Mayor
Diamond City Leader
Which means the site is now running XenForo 2, the latest version of the forum script used here on Wario Forums. This comes with various new changes and additions, such as:

• A responsive design that works on smartphones
  • Quick posting options straight from the home page and forum categories
  • Various editor changes, including in the fancy file uploaders.
  • Alerts in favicon (now default)
  • Enhanced PM editing
  • An expanded what's new system
  • As well as various other additions from the news post here.
But that's not all. Oh no, you may have also seen a Discord link above. Yeah, that's... a bit different to the one we used to have, since it now fully integrates with our Discord server for cross site roles, posting and other useful features. For instance, all new topics you post should now show up on the Discord server in the dedicated channel for them, complete with a nice link back here. That's pretty cool, and provides a new way to promote the site.

However, there are also a few things that needed changing that perhaps aren't so good. Namely, the reactions, the moods and the shop system.

For the former, the original post ratings system we used wasn't supported on this version, so we've migrated to a new version with a new interface. This should keep most functionality the same, but it did mean we couldn't carry data over here.

On the other hand, the points system is still in progress, and will hopefully be added soon. I'm just trying to figure out which one to use, and get round to buying it since the most likely choice will cost something like $400.

Finally, moods are just gone, since the mood modification hasn't been released for any forum script since XenForo 1. Not sure why, presumably the creator got bored with forums and walked off, and no one else has made their own version since. Either way, I'll see what can be done there, perhaps by editing another mod (like a user flags mod) to act as an ad hoc version.

Thanks for sticking with us for this upgrade, and we hope to improve the forum even more in the future.

It looks like the non-Wario emotes were changed and I used those here and there. Now some of my messages have emotes I'd never use and might change how some of those messages are interpreted, blah. :censored:

Anyway, I'm generally not a fan of websites getting visual changes unless it was really necessary. How it looks now still looks decent though, it will take a little getting used to.

So, how many more phases will we get?

Nah, just kidding. Probably 1 or 2 more, given the points system needs to return.

It looks like the non-Wario emotes were changed and I used those here and there. Now some of my messages have emotes I'd never use and might change how some of those messages are interpreted, blah. :censored:

Anyway, I'm generally not a fan of websites getting visual changes unless it was really necessary. How it looks now still looks decent though, it will take a little getting used to.

The emote changes are apparently so they look better on smartphones or something. But yeah, if people don't like them, I guess we could look for a new set of default smilies and make sure to keep them the same across upgrades.

Actually, the visual change wasn't really the objective, it's more of a side effect of the codebase upgrade. It'll get tweaked slowly over time, your feedback is also helpful, since there's a lot to remember.

Huh, not on there. Ah well, we can apparently add ratings, so if you give me an image for it (ideally in svg format), I can add it back to the menu.

The change of the other emotes is fine, just observing, haha. Feel free to keep them as they are. Anyway, I'm already adjusting to the new look, it will be interesting to see how this goes! :WarioMan:

For the "What's New" page, could the "Latest activity" tab be moved to the far left instead of the far right?

It appears that notifications about post ratings are back on for me and there looks to be no way of turning them off this time. I know the upgrade isn't done yet, so I'll wait to see if it's available afterwards.

For the "What's New" page, could the "Latest activity" tab be moved to the far left instead of the far right?

Will look to change it, though there are no easy options in admin panel.

It appears that notifications about post ratings are back on for me and there looks to be no way of turning them off this time. I know the upgrade isn't done yet, so I'll wait to see if it's available afterwards.

Hmm, seems disabling notifications for likes doesn't disable them for reactions. Interesting.

Oh wow. Nice upgrade, the new color scheme is really nice on the eyes. (If a little bland)

Where's the shop thing though? Is it gone? Kinda wanted to change my name, but now that the shop isn't showing up I guess that option is now gone?

Oh wow. Nice upgrade, the new color scheme is really nice on the eyes. (If a little bland)

Where's the shop thing though? Is it gone? Kinda wanted to change my name, but now that the shop isn't showing up I guess that option is now gone?

Gone for now, will come back very soon. Need to purchase a new mod, and set it up to do this.

Back