Well..

From the Neogaf thread
Read this earlier. I call bullshit. He pretends there weren't any plan to localize Mother 3 since 2015 while a lot of far more reputable sources said otherwise, and the part about Iwata being the only guy behind the project smells like fanboy's thoughts about how a game company works.

Destructoid is also a terrible source for leaks.

Rhythm Heaven Megamix sold 650k in Japan alone. Nintendo publish a lot of titles that barely reach half that and costs way more.

This whole article is bullshit.

Reggie teased the release of Mother 3 enough that there should be no doubt that it's coming at some point. It's only a question of when.
“Oh, so earlier today I got asked about Mother 3; maybe you can ask me about Metroid. Look, again, I am proud as an executive with Nintendo to say that we look at all of the boards and all of the comments and we really have a good understanding of what our consumers want. And believe me, we take that to heart as we work to create content.

“So I have nothing to announce–here. But we are aware that there are some key IP that consumers just can’t wait for the next true installment in that franchise’s legacy. Suffice it to say, we’re aware of it, and talk to me in a year and let’s look back and see what’s happened.”

https://www.vg247.com/2017/01/16/reg...ween-releases/ (from last January)

While I don't know much about Mother 3 and where that's gonna go? Rhythm Heaven is just way too successful for Nintendo to just kill it off. (Especially since there's other IP's that have sold less and are still getting new games.)
Maybe a hiatus or something is likely, but to just straight up kill it?
Yeah I can't see that.
It's all just rumors in the end and like most rumors.
It's best to take this with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
Damn, that's depressing if true. I mean, it's not hugely unexpected (Rhythm Heaven, WarioWare and other such games may have been tied to the more casual late GBA/early DS era for Nintendo), but it's sad none the less.

Also makes you think about what Iwata brought to the company. I mean, it paints a picture of a guy who wasn't just a typical suit, but cared about doing new things and pleasing the fans wherever possible.

But if this article is accurate, that mentality may be over as far as Nintendo is concerned...

Nevermind Rhythm Heaven being a tremendously successful series, the idea that Nintendo's president wanted Mother 3 translated but its western branches refused for some reason or NOA didn't identify any potential problematic content in Mother 3 before deciding if a translation was worth it and "stopped doing it" once they got to the part with those characters is laughable.

PLus Tsunku's struggle with throat cancer is a far more likely reason Nintendo would put RH on hiatus.

So successful that NA did not get a physical release of Megamix.

But yeah, I would agree on Tsunku's condition being a factor. How did they not consider that? Shows how much they know...

So successful that NA did not get a physical release of Megamix.
The fact that Rhythm Heaven Megamix got a localized release at all is enough to at least consider it somewhat valuable to Nintendo. and the fact that all of the Rhythm Heaven games except the very first one on the GBA have all gotten localizations by this point. that alone shows how successful the IP is compared to other smaller Nintendo IP's or games which have not been so lucky. (Captain Rainbow, Band Brothers, Starfy, Panel de Pon, etc)
And also
Nintendo also said that sales of the 3DS family rose by 39 percent last month. Kirby: Planet Robobot placed fourth on NPD’s retail charts. Rhythm Heaven Megamix, a digital-only title, sat atop the eShop charts for most of the month.
from http://nintendoeverything.com/june-2016-npd-smash-bros-wii-u-and-3ds-surpass-2-and-3-million-copies-sold-respectively-more
While it may not be Mario or Zelda levels of sucess or even Kirby levels.
To say it's a straight up failure is just a tad bit out there.

Thanks for the clarifications everyone. Yeah, the article certainly seems more doubtful now.

Nice to see Rhythm Heaven actually does do pretty damn well.

Well, that's good to hear. Looks like they still are good at rumor control.

But Megamix sure did try to present itself like some sort of finale to the series. For starters, the last stretch of the Final Remix had a title screen medley of all four games. (Okay, that's a bit of a stretch)

If you even needed more proof the original article is nonsense

"The studio that created the Rhythm Heaven games, Nintendo SPD, closed in 2015, with its members absorbed into another in-house group with a different management structure. The first Rhythm Tengoku was the first game they created on their own, without the help of Intelligent Systems, and Rhythm Tengoku: The Best+ [Rhythm Heaven Megamix in the US and Europe] was the last game they released before they were deconstructed. It's also not a coincidence that Nintendo SPD was put together by Iwata shortly after he became president of Nintendo, and that it closed a few months after he passed away. That was just the start of some pretty massive internal changes at Nintendo that followed his passing."

(conveniently avoiding to mention the restructuring also closed down EAD and every other internal development team)

"Ko Takeuchi, the artist of the Rhythm Heaven series, was working on the Nintendo Badge Arcade app pretty much full time until earlier this year, until new content for the app was discontinued. Since then, his Twitter handle and other social media pages were changed to read "character designer", with no mention of Nintendo."
But his social media profiles never mentioned Nintendo???????

"I'm not surprised that Sakamoto-san said that. I mean, of course he said that, just like how he didn’t say that the years of buzz around AM2R was one of the reasons they decided to remake Metroid 2 themselves,

right.

The last paragraph also called Yoshio Sakamoto "Sakaguchi" before the error was pointed out by commenters. TOtally reliable insiderz sourcex amirite??

Whoever says the Magypsies are a negative portrayal of trans people needs to shove a fuzzy pickle up their nosehole.
I think the idea of The Magypsies being a negative portrayal is false, they are among my fav characters in gaming. However to their credit, with the way things are in Murica' you really wouldn't wanna touch gender identity with a ten foot pole. Its more or less the un necessary back lash they would get regardless so i kinda understand.

I still think M3's release is inevitable but its gonna be awhile.

However to their credit, with the way things are in Murica' you really wouldn't wanna touch gender identity with a ten foot pole. Its more or less the un necessary back lash they would get regardless so i kinda understand.

I still think M3's release is inevitable but its gonna be awhile.
To be fair, people also went mad when Mario wore a sombrero in Odyssey, calling him racist and culturally appropriating or whatever. You just can't please these people.
But on the other hand there were much more people defending the game and saying it's NOT bad. So if there WAS a backlash, you know the M3 fanbase would defend the game to the death.

Back