Yooka Laylee

CM30

Diamond City Mayor
Diamond City Leader
So... I guess you've probably all heard of this new platformer by ex Rare developers Playtonic games? Complete with music by David Wise, Grant Kirkhope and Steve Burke?

Because damn, not only does it look awesome, but... it's pretty much been smashing Kickstarter records left and right:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/playtonic/yooka-laylee-a-3d-platformer-rare-vival

It's raised well over a million dollars in less than 24 hours. If you ever needed proof people wanted Banjo Kazooie 3, well, this spiritual successor is becoming the most popular project ever posted on Kickstarter.

Either way, thoughts on the game? Anyone else want to play it when it's released?

I have optimism for it. I hope to play it when it comes out eventually, especially since I've been waiting for Banjo-Threeie since childhood (and no, Nuts & Bolts doesn't count as Threeie, though it's a decent game in its own right).

But I fear what may happen after the Kickstarter. Look at the mess with Mighty No. 9. I still want to play it, but the community managers...

Yeah, I have reasons to be worried.

I'm very excited for this. Gonna be a great game. I'm really happy that they are taking inspiration from Donkey Kong Country as well. The minecarts will probably be very DKC-esque and i'm ultra excited that they are taking ideas from retro's DKC with the indefinite rolling gimmick. David Wise's new track sounds like it was ripped from Tropical Freeze as well which is an ok in my book.

I don't like 3D platformers, but I wish Playtonic and its backers good luck regardless.

But I fear what may happen after the Kickstarter. Look at the mess with Mighty No. 9.

I don't get (well, I do, but figure of speech) people championing Keiji Inafune when he was responsible for problematic trends at Capcom (shuttering Clover, outsourcing to western devs - I loved the 2009 Bionic Commando, but not many people did : p) and every project he was involved in post Capcom were mediocre at best.

I'm considering buying a Wii U for this game.
I was too, but then I realised it'll also be on non-Steam pc (I understood that right, right?), so I can get that instead. I'm worried my equipment and specs aren't up to par, though, and I don't want to have to play on 10 fps.

Back