Your favorite "little things" in the Wario Land series

How in WL 4 the music slows down when you crouch and speeds up when you roll.

Now that I realise, the music in Wario Land 4 is really vivid overall: When you ground-pound it gets slightly distorted, each of Wario's transformations has effect on the music, and it even gets slightly softer in indoor areas.
And in Palm Tree Paradise, the caves even have a darker variant of the main theme.

Now that I realise, the music in Wario Land 4 is really vivid overall: When you ground-pound it gets slightly distorted, each of Wario's transformations has effect on the music, and it even gets slightly softer in indoor areas.
And in Palm Tree Paradise, the caves even have a darker variant of the main theme.

Yup, it's got a really dynamic soundtrack all around.

I really like the detail work in Land 1's Syrup Castle, there is a lot of subtle story telling there, like how the skull on top of the castle is constantly getting distorted, as a hint of something supernatural being at play (the Genie).

There's also how the further you go the more the levels start to be filled with bottomless pits and destroyed pillars in the background, it really drives home the point that Wario is wrecking the castle, to the point that by the final level he spends most of it leaping over pits, since so much is already destroyed.

Then there's also the neat looking window curtains that appear in the levels inside the castle, which could be seen as more stereotypically feminine and thus an earlier hint of Syrup actually being a woman.

I really like the detail work in Land 1's Syrup Castle, there is a lot of subtle story telling there, like how the skull on top of the castle is constantly getting distorted, as a hint of something supernatural being at play (the Genie).

There's also how the further you go the more the levels start to be filled with bottomless pits and destroyed pillars in the background, it really drives home the point that Wario is wrecking the castle, to the point that by the final level he spends most of it leaping over pits, since so much is already destroyed.

Then there's also the neat looking window curtains that appear in the levels inside the castle, which could be seen as more stereotypically feminine and thus an earlier hint of Syrup actually being a woman.

Huh, didn't think that distortion thing meant anything. Nice catch!

Same with the castle getting more destroyed as you progress. Interesting design choice on the developer's part.

Oh, here's another one. Really like the seagulls in Wario Land 2 and how they fly away/return when you stand on them. A very 'fun' twist on the whole 'disappearing platform' mechanic.

• Agree
Reactions: 607
But that doesn't have to mean anything. Bowser is also rather fond of curtains:

1:18

I was talking about the design:
hjbjkl.PNG

The neat casual look, with ribbons everywhere could be seen as stereotypically feminine.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 607
Honestly, I'm just impressed by the number of little background details in Wario Land 1's version of Syrup Castle, period. The skull symbols on the corners of the large windows are an especially nice touch.

The sound at 7:24

I think he also has a sound for picking up coins Wario drops too. Then again, that itself could be a nice little detail in the game, since most games with bandit mooks tend not to have them interact with other items the player drops in the world. The fact the captain actually tries to steal your money is a really neat touch that many games wouldn't have bothered with.

In Wario Land 4, when time runs out on the Hurry Up thing, the background turning into grayscale and those beeps, (not the low health beeps, the high pitched beeps) and the bell sounds that come up when you lose all coins

3:47
4:32

Spoopy.

It's entirely possible that I'm seeing connections where there actually aren't any, but it's fun to think about it that way.

Not sure if it's a legitimate connection, but it'd certainly be cool if these things were meant to be throwbacks to Mario & Wario and Wario's Woods respectively.

Back