A new project for WL4 ROM hacking and Level Editing

shinespeciall

shinespeciall@gmail.com
Coins
Coins
I have spent a lot of time in WL4(Wario land 4) Hacking and Level Editng and I love this game. I started from some hacking records by HelloTibi in ROMHacking.net and finally made something called (beta) WL4 multi-Editor, I have publish the project in github. ( shinespeciall/WarioLand4MultiEditor )

as you can see in the README.md file, according to what I have found in the ROM file, I was able to editting a lot of things in the game file and the demo software even can patch all the changes into the Source ROM file.
1.PNG

But because I made this demo WL4 Editor without the command of OOP, my VB6 program become a mess in the code and it's hard to add new functions into it, so it was abanished.

This time, after I have learn C in college course (also studied C++ by myself), It's time to set up my new Wario Land 4 Editor. (shinespeciall/WL4LevelEditor)
the new project is being made with Qt and I do hope I can make a better editor.

it will take a lot of time to do all the things including programming and ROM hacking by myself and i'm not very good at C++ programming, so I eagerly want some people who interested in this project join me to spare some works if you have ability in ROM hacking or C++ Qt programming. (perhaps its impolite but there did not have any suitable channel in the site's discord server, but you can find me in a newly created discord server for further information: here )

Of course, anyone who only interested in level making are also welcomed here, you can wait for the earlest message from my brand-new project.

Last edited:

CM30

Diamond City Mayor
Diamond City Leader
Coins
Coins
Gold Necklace Gold Earrings User Title Style Change Postbit Highlight (Pre-Defined) Post Shadow
Hmm, looks interesting. Always wanted to see more of a ROM hacking scene for Wario Land 4, and this looks like the first steps towards a full Lunar Magic style level editor that'll make this possible.

Keep up the good work @shinespeciall! Really interested in seeing where this goes next!

Dr. Mechano

a-gonna ween
Coins
Coins
I'm definitely interested in this too!

Thanks so much for taking the time develop this. I really hope the project continues to go well, and that you keep us in the loop as it updates. While I don't know much about the technical side of rom-hacking or the tools to do it, I would totally love to make my own levels in Wario Land 4 and play other peoples' hacks of the game as well. Looks very promising!

shinespeciall

shinespeciall@gmail.com
Coins
Coins
my discord server seems always kick out the new comer (only if i set roles for the new one person by person) and i don't know why, can anyone help me to solve this?

shinespeciall

shinespeciall@gmail.com
Coins
Coins
my discord server seems always kick out the new comer (only if i set roles for the new one person by person) and i don't know why, can anyone help me to solve this?
the problem is solved, you can use the invite link in the first post to get into my Discord server.
I usually program in the night (sometime before and at the American morning), I will update in this thread and on warioforum Discord server simultaneously when the fist release version is out.
my own Discord server have provided some advices in WL4 game hacking and emulator playing, you can also get in for further information.
@Dr. Mechano

Last edited:
Coins
Coins
I am personally very looking forward to see where this goes.
Wario Lands 1-3 all got level editors over the past years, but not much came out of them. Perhaps because they were very hard to use.

shinespeciall

shinespeciall@gmail.com
Coins
Coins
I am personally very looking forward to see where this goes.
Wario Lands 1-3 all got level editors over the past years, but not much came out of them. Perhaps because they were very hard to use.
Making editor is a big project, including the ROM hacking and programming, perhaps most of the developers will spend more time in ROM hacking than programming, and in any condition there are always a lot of things remain to be found in ROM. It cannot be very easy to insist on one reverse engineering, and the whole project is a harder task.
"Editor is hard to use" isn't against common sence, take "super mario maker" as an example, that game make the player concentrate more on object (in GBA we call it Sprites), and we will pay less attention on the other things, but in the game editor case, we should not only pay attention to Sprites, but also something like matching of Tiles in not only 1 but up to 4 layers (you should joint Tile one by one, it take a lot of time), Camera control setting, BGM changing, level testing, etc. They all cost time and increase the difficulty of Editor using. Sometimes we have to design a complicated GUI to give user as much chance as we can to edit everything we found.

CM30

Diamond City Mayor
Diamond City Leader
Coins
Coins
Gold Necklace Gold Earrings User Title Style Change Postbit Highlight (Pre-Defined) Post Shadow
Well, just gonna mention that this project will be mentioned on Gaming Reinvented at some point as well. Hopefully that'll bring some more attention to it.

dribbleandspitz

A voice floats on the waves, drifting away.
Coins
Coins
This is an incredible project and I wish you the best of luck in finishing it! Personally, I think Wario Land 4 had some of the best aesthetics in any 2D Platformer I've played, so being able to use its parts to create a new adventure would be a dream.

shinespeciall

shinespeciall@gmail.com
Coins
Coins
At first I won't make the new software to be an editor to directly edit the ROM file, but it will have the function of making a level (and patching the change into the ROM). If the source level data is a requirement, I will make another mini software to reach the demand.

TODO: There are still something need to be find out from the room, its a very hard work and if some fans of WL4 have the ability to help me I will be very happy. these things are "the render position of Sprites"(don't know the accurate start position) and "the background music playing method"(I only know I can change them by the ID I found in sappy.exe , a gba sounds extractor, but there are some other settings for sounds and music).

Last edited: