Appreciation and Discussion Thread for the Ware characters (outside of Ashley)

tumblr_inline_osbwa92Uht1sa6d1h_1280.png

A little something that I requested.

Orbulon. :orbulon:

I find his story endearing. Kind of arrogant, impulsive, but super-smart alien who originally had the intention of conquering the Earth, crashlanded instead (presumably from a planet with crappy technology?) But, being at that disadvantage allowed him to gradually begin making friends with the residents of Diamond City. By Smooth Moves, he's posting on the bulletin board about how his goal has changed from conquering the Earth to protecting it. And how he tries so hard to learn English... :cry: I don't know. His character has a sort of innocence about him, & I wish he got more attention in the games & in fanlore.

I've also always really loved Dribble & Spitz. :dribble::spitz: Dynamic taxi cab duo! They play off of each other really well & have great banter.

Orbulon. :orbulon:

I find his story endearing. Kind of arrogant, impulsive, but super-smart alien who originally had the intention of conquering the Earth, crashlanded instead (presumably from a planet with crappy technology?) But, being at that disadvantage allowed him to gradually begin making friends with the residents of Diamond City. By Smooth Moves, he's posting on the bulletin board about how his goal has changed from conquering the Earth to protecting it. And how he tries so hard to learn English... :cry: I don't know. His character has a sort of innocence about him, & I wish he got more attention in the games & in fanlore.

I've also always really loved Dribble & Spitz. :dribble::spitz: Dynamic taxi cab duo! They play off of each other really well & have great banter.

I also really like Orbulon. His story is indeed kinda heartwarming when you think about it. And Dribble & Spitz are also one of my favourite. There's something about how they drive around in their ¨trusty cab¨ all day long, encountering the strangest of things (often of the supernatural kind) during their job, and how are not only colleagues but also best friends.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Liz
I friggin looooooooove Orbulon.

:'D!! Hello, fellow Orbulon fan! I love your avatar, lol d:D

Imagine if [Orbulon] was the popular one, with uncultured weirdos as fans, while Ash-- nevermind.

I never really understood Ashley's hype tbh? IMO she's an interesting character, but all the WarioWare characters are in their own way. I'm just as curious about Dribble & Spitz's first meeting as I am about Ashley's love-hate relationship with her own isolation, as I am about Penny's parents/Dr. Crygor's kid... etc.

Not only that, but reading Orbulon's diaries, it's strange that he isn't at least a little more well-liked with how popular Ashley is. They both appear to cope with lots of feelings of loneliness & alienation (pun intended after the fact), despite one being desperate to preserve those feelings and the other being desperate to escape them. So I'm surprised that with how popular Ashley is that Orbulon is more of a "background" character in WW -- or even that their initial meeting wasn't expanded upon, as I think their relationship could have been cool to explore. But maybe I'm weighing Ashley's story too heavily in her popularity...

:'D!! Hello, fellow Orbulon fan! I love your avatar, lol d:D

I never really understood Ashley's hype tbh? IMO she's an interesting character, but all the WarioWare characters are in their own way. I'm just as curious about Dribble & Spitz's first meeting as I am about Ashley's love-hate relationship with her own isolation, as I am about Penny's parents/Dr. Crygor's kid... etc.

Not only that, but reading Orbulon's diaries, it's strange that he isn't at least a little more well-liked with how popular Ashley is. They both appear to cope with lots of feelings of loneliness & alienation (pun intended after the fact), despite one being desperate to preserve those feelings and the other being desperate to escape them. So I'm surprised that with how popular Ashley is that Orbulon is more of a "background" character in WW -- or even that their initial meeting wasn't expanded upon, as I think their relationship could have been cool to explore. But maybe I'm weighing Ashley's story too heavily in her popularity...
I like Ashley(though there was a time when I didn't but that's not a story for now...) but the trope combination of a cute magical girl with a mean streak/is tsundere/is actually evil/wants friends etc.(Ashley's characterization is actually pretty inconsistent) is easily appealing to the majority of the internet's demographic.

They both appear to cope with lots of feelings of loneliness & alienation (pun intended after the fact), despite one being desperate to preserve those feelings and the other being desperate to escape them.

That's actually pretty deep for such a lighthearted series. Never thought about them in this way.

I was wondering, if Penny grows up, will she become a Dr. like her grandpa too?
Well she has stated on her Smooth Moves blog that she wants to be a great scientist like him
When she grows up (As well as a singer)
将来はおじいちゃんみたいに立派な科学者になりたいなあ!
(でも密かに歌手になりたいって夢もあるんです)
In the future I want to be a fine scientist like Grandpa! (But there are dreams that I want to quietly become a singer)

And considering she idolizes her grandfather a ton, plus her being just as intelligent and skilled as him on top of that, I can easily see her continuing his legacy once she grows up and he retires and/or passes on.

The other question has to be, if Penny is Crygor's granddaughter, who or where is the grandmother, i.e. Crygor's wife?
That's a good question actually.
My theory is that she's probably either the one taking care of Penny while Dr Crygor's doing his thing (Though that raises questions regarding the whereabouts of Penny's parents.) Or she simply passed on a long time ago (That or they simply broke up or divorced shortly after one of Penny's parents were born)

Though those are just theories
It is interesting to think about who or where Penny and Dr Crygor's family are. (Especially Penny's parents)

Last edited:
That's a good question....
My theory is that she's probably either the one taking care of Penny while Dr Crygor's doing his thing (Though that probably raises questions regarding the whereabouts of Penny's parents.) Or she simply passed on a long time ago.

Well... on the wiki it says he's "one hundred and three years old" (though no source is provided) ...so he probably simply outlived his wife while he's still kicking due to his cybernetic enhancements.

I could imagine a tragic backstory where he frantically tries to finish his cybernetics, to keep them both alive, but before he can finish them his wife passes away due to her age, so he can only use them on himself. But his guilt over his delayed progress drives him a little bit demented... which is why he is the way he is today.

...maybe not quite the kind of backstory you'd wanna hear in a whacky little Wario game...

Well... on the wiki it says he's "one hundred and three years old" (though no source is provided) ...so he probably simply outlived his wife while he's still kicking due to his cybernetic enhancements.

I could imagine a tragic backstory where he frantically tries to finish his cybernetics, to keep them both alive, but before he can finish them his wife passes away due to her age, so he can only use them on himself. But his guilt over his delayed progress drives him a little bit demented... which is why he is the way he is today.

...maybe not quite the kind of backstory you'd wanna hear in a whacky little Wario game...

This would make such an interesting backstory in a serious work tho...

Orbulon and Dr. Crygor. Or as I sometimes call them, Porky and Poopy.

Because Orby seems to like pigs. He even has a pig spaceship.
And because of Crygs' story in the first Ware.

• Agree
Back