Game music that invokes certain feelings

Iced Land

This does work well for an icy setting most but any baren lonely landscape could work in my opinion, Maybe not a sandy desert, a gravel desert perhaps? Well in any case as repetitive and annoying as this song can get i think that works perfectly. Imagine for a second that you for whatever reason are wandering Antarctica and you don't see any people. Just snow for miles, no sense of direction, everything looks the same, it repeats, its annoying, you wanna go home, find shelter, get outta there. If it goes on ay longer you might lose your sanity. That's how the Iced Land song makes me feel.

I used to be scared of this song and it still kinda creeps me out. The feeling you describe is exactly why. Eerie, chilling, and unsetteling. It reminds me a bit of the Famous ¨Tubular Bells¨ which also uses a series of notes in a similar fashion. Talking about unsetteling tunes, this
gives me the chills. Again, a series of high-pitched notes. But the deep tuba notes and those pitch-bends make it sound even spookier. The result is a sad, dark and bonechilling tune that makes me also feel a bit depressed. And that feeling when you realise that this is actually based on the the overworld theme... :wurgh::wargh:

EarthBound Smiles and Tears

I go back and forth a lot on what my favorite song in gaming is and Smiles & Tears is a strong contender for the title, because of how much emotion it get's out of me, every single time.

It's always a shame when a game you like comes to it's end and EarthBound showing you those photos that were made over the course of the game really reminds you of how fond you have grown of this world and it's inhabitants and the joy they gave you all the way through.

The melody itself naturally helps too, it's peaceful and emotional, without even being uberly sad, it moreso gives off the feeling of ''Don't be sad it's over, be glad it happened at all.'', especially in combination with said photos and the ability to go pretty much everywhere in the game's world, before returning to Ness' home.

All of this combined really gives off the sense of this being a goodbye of sorts, which makes the mere act of finishing the game emotional in a very different way from how other games are and to me, that kind of stuff plays a big part in what makes the MOTHER series so brilliant and the music always played a crucial role in that.

Last edited:
Most games that have underwater stages tend to use music that is either soothing and calming (NSMB series), mysterious (Mystic Lake), tense (Lockjaw’s Locker), or sometimes something in between.

But some underwater themes are just straight-up depressing, and I think that Water World from DK Land III demonstrates this like no other. Just take a listen to it:

This is one of the reasons I sometimes prefer 8-bit over SNES: 8-bit somehow makes happy songs more happy, and sad ones even sadder.

May as well mention a few more songs here.

Firstly, the Pi'illo Castle theme (and its Dreamy version) from Mario & Luigi Dream Team also put me in a good mood. Perhaps because they're just so upbeat and happy, and make you feel like you're on a relaxing holiday in the tropics somewhere.

While the Cavi Cape theme from Bowser's Inside Story has this very specific melancholy feeling about it, and almost makes me depressed about whatever current situation I'm in when I hear it. Then again, I suspect that was the intention, it's often played in scenes with characters pondering their existence or what not.

Because some people don't have good internet or good devices and so having too many embedded videos slows things down too much for them.

Firstly, the Pi'illo Castle theme (and its Dreamy version) from Mario & Luigi Dream Team also put me in a good mood. Perhaps because they're just so upbeat and happy, and make you feel like you're on a relaxing holiday in the tropics somewhere.

Sounds so... 'Kirbyish'. Really like that kind of game music.
Talking about a holiday in the tropics, this
gives me the exact same feeling, more than any other tropical theme, save for maybe Ice Cream Island from Kirby's Adventure.

Yeah, it does to me as well.

However, you know what game's songs really make me feel like I'm on a tropical vacation?

Oh come on, you can probably guess that one. It starts with Super and ends with Sunshine.

Delfino Plaza, Bianco Hills, Ricco Harbour, Gelato Beach, Pinna Park, Sirena Beach, Noki Bay, Pianta Village

I don't think anyone can play this game without cheering up.

Another song that has a very holiday/day off/relaxing vibe to it would be the Boilerworks one from Luigi's Mansion 3. The setting its played in is anything but calm, but the banjo esque country music certainly has that feel to it.

One more thing: Parking Area - Dur-T Cafe from MOTHER 3 reminds me far too much of that one time when I was working (as a volunteer rather than a full-fledged employee, thank God) at the Fallas clothing store next to the Ingram Park Mall in San Antonio, where leftover clothing supplies from said mall (among other things that were all pretty worthless anyway IIRC) were sold at discount prices...

which admittedly sounds rather pleasant on paper, except for the fact that not only does this place have a ridiculously larger and better thrift store (a Texas Thrift Store, to be exact) only about one parking lot farther away from it than the aforementioned Ingram Park Mall is, but it also quite frankly is somehow even dirtier than the actual dirt outside it (or at least was that dirty the last time I checked).

To make a long story short: almost everything there was downright-horribly broken-down and/or organized ridiculously poorly, the floor was absolutely covered with dirt and dust, trash was littered in practically every possible place, the ceiling was rather notice-ably riddled with water damage to say the least, the bathroom featured toilets of which the insides of the bowls had pretty much been completely re-painted with hard water stains and whatnot, the ceiling vent in the place's entrance looked as if it had mold in it...and I'm pretty sure that I even found at least one or two cockroaches.

"Please don't come back here. You'll kick up the mold spores."

:warioewalt:

Lifeline-SMBU
Awe, power and a desperate quest - it's all there! This really makes me feel power.

Last of Us Main Theme
The emotion here. Man. An instant trip down (recent) memory lane. I don't cry at games, but this got close. The tune also really conveys the sadness and hope.
Also there's a didgeridoo in the background and I find that funny.

"Silent Light" from Chrono Trigger is basically how I felt after realizing how much I enjoy being trapped in my house/neighborhood due to COVID-19

I accidentally misread that title as "Silent Night" and thought it was going to be some Christmas theme. :shokorameh:
It does sound a bit "Christmassy" though, just not neccessarily in a happy way, and I guess that's why it makes you think of being trapped at home all day.

In the Face of Evil - Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number

Essentially the musical version of this:
1591191731800.png

Back