Gaming trends you miss

Startup animations. I've know they've always existed, but for awhile, most consoles starting from the fifth generation up until the seventh generation had a really neat animation that's used for the startup.
And while they're pretty unecessary as a whole, they still look either really cool or really charming.
Seriously these look really cool, and it sucks that we hardly get these neat animations anymore.

Which one is your favorite?

Which one is your favorite?
The Playstation 2 is the most nostalgic due to me playing the PS2 a lot as a child. (Though admittadly it's a bit on the blandish side in my opinion.)
And the Xbox & the Playstation startups are both very epic for different reasons.
And the Dreamcast one is also really neat as well keeping with the mysterious theme that the Dreamcast had along with the animation being neat as whole.
But my personal favorite has to go to the Gamecube startup.
Okay it's not as epic or stand out ish as it's competitors but it's simplicity and cute animation really makes it a charming startup compared to the rest.
And the fact that depending on the circumstances you can get 3 startup sounds really adds to it's charm as well.

So overall
Gamecube>Dreamcast>Playstation>Xbox>Playstation 2

I think thats what I miss the most, cool console designs. I hate the sleek look they all have now.

Ya same, though Switch has the cool neon controllers so that's a step up.

Also I hate all the electronics they have on them now, like touch sensitive buttons over just the standard buttons, all that adds onto is easily broken consoles. Id rather just have the simple little plastic button.

Haha yeah, like, the PS4 has a weird motion sensor to turn on and eject discs and stuff, so sometimes when I walk in front of it it'll just eject the disc randomly. What a stupid design choice.

You know what else I miss? When Pokemon cartridges were uniquely colored.
upload_2017-3-13_19-45-35.jpeg

pokemonrubysapphire_022603_cartridges.jpg

Greatest Hits/Player's Choice/Platinum Hits-type releases seem to be going the way of the dodo. Now, I'm not saying every game deserved these; some truly crappy games got them simply because they sold well.

But some good games also sold well and got them as a result. And honestly, they did help to make some good games a little more common. They would sometimes even fix glitches found in earlier releases.

The closest thing I've seen to anything like that in the modern era was the Nintendo Selects-type releases, and even then, those tend to come out a few years after the initial releases.

I know not everyone is fond of them; for some people, it's original releases or bust. But for people like me who buy games to play them, some of my favorite games were made a bit easier to find this way.

Translucent cartridges and consoles. They were quite a thing in the late 90's/early 2000's at least it seems to me. The GameBoy had some limited edition translucent models and the Gameboy Color made the translucent cartridges a standard. I have a purple translucent GBC.

here's an obscure one: Games packaged with short prequel comic books.

Acclaim was especially big on this since they bought a comic book company (they did that for Turok, Turok 2, Iron Man/X-O Manowar and other games I think)), but other games had that too. Ones I own include one of the Sam Pyjam games and Mace Griffin: Bounty Hunter. To this day I'm amused and amazed anyone deemed it worthwhile to make a prequel comic to MACE GRIFFIN: BOUNTY HUNTER, but it's neat all the same.

~Certain gaming magazine, especially ones that offer free demo discs and other cool stuff.
~Colorful manual booklets.
~Gaming tip hotlines. (Even if the internet renders it virtually useless now.)
~Corny commercials. (Well... there is still some of those.)

here's an obscure one: Games packaged with short prequel comic books.

Acclaim was especially big on this since they bought a comic book company (they did that for Turok, Turok 2, Iron Man/X-O Manowar and other games I think)), but other games had that too. Ones I own include one of the Sam Pyjam games and Mace Griffin: Bounty Hunter. To this day I'm amused and amazed anyone deemed it worthwhile to make a prequel comic to MACE GRIFFIN: BOUNTY HUNTER, but it's neat all the same.

I remember Drill Dozer had one of those... in fact, I still have it.

EURpfPk.jpg

Last edited:
I really really miss demos : ( And though I never had one of my own ever (except for I think with Metroid Prime 2), I loved those videos of upcoming games. Ive seen some yt videos of actual vhs tapes of like the N64 and junk, I miss that kinda stuff.

With everything being online now, its not really a big deal at all : p Its so easy to find anything now.

Oh and someone brought up manuals, I also always really liked seeing advertisements for other games on the back of manuals staring at you when you opened a game. I remember Tales of Symphonia having one for Baten Kaitos, and Baten Kaiots having one for Tales of Symphonia, haha I always really liked that : p

Back