Guilty Pleasures

Another guilty pleasure of mine is baking and cooking. I'm not exactly what you'd call a ¨gastronomer¨, but I still like to do it nonetheless.

As I said, my skills aren't that great (if I can make pancakes or french toast on my own without burning anything, then that's quite the accomplishment for me), but what I make is always very nice and tasty according to my family and others. I also bake my own cake for my birthday parties, and everyone loves it, judging by the compliments I get, and the fact the the cake is always gone in no time.

Not something you would expect from a 21 year old male engineering student, I know.

Hilariously bad fanfiction, of all varieties; for example:

Insanely over-the-top "toxic masculinity" bullshit like Thirty H's (Harry Potter) and Thirty More H's (also Harry Potter)

Utterly demented fetish fics like Journey To The Central Nervous System Of Muriel (Courage TCD) and Motherly Fuckery (Undertale)

Nonsensical grammar catastrophes like Full-Life Consequences (Half-Life) and Legolas by Laura (LOTR)

Ridiculous teen-drama cliche-fests like My Immortal (Harry Potter) and Metroid High School (Metroid)

GOD-awful crossover shipping stories like Jesus and Hitler: A Romance (Holocaust/Bible) and The Buzz On How Maggie Got Fondled By Flecko (Rocko/Maggie), not to mention the Endgame-esque sequel that TBOHMGFBF later got in the form of TBOH Maggie Got Inside Her Psychiatrist's Head

Official products that play out like hilariously bad fanfictions for their own franchises, such as UmJammer Lammy and Zelda CD-i:

Last edited:
I'm embarrassingly really into Neopets.
Not the actual looking after the pet, more the economy.
Because that economy rocks!
It's alive, it fluctuates, the value of everything changes on a supply-and-demand basis and there's a literal stock market!

And the flash games aren't all that bad tbh.

chat with hot girls here I just can't stop doing it! with one girl I can chat for hours...we often discuss everything and even more. There is no any restriction and censorship if you know what I mean) great way to spend long lonely nights in lockdown.

Last edited:
I don't know how I would describe it but sometimes when I'm in a sad mood there's this part of me that treats it like a guilty pleasure and wants me to remain that way even though by the next day I'm usually fine.

I don't know how I would describe it but sometimes when I'm in a sad mood there's this part of me that treats it like a guilty pleasure and wants me to remain that way even though by the next day I'm usually fine.
Yeah, I feel like this too sometimes. It's probably because of some kind of self-pity, but there's indeed a certain pleasure in being sad. Not always of course, but it can certainly be this way. It's perfectly normal for humans to have a healthy level of self-empathy, so it's nothing to worry about, as long as you don't start to purposely sadden yourself to get this feeling.

On a similar note, this is also why we often like to watch sad drama movies or read sad stories: we want to emphatise with the suffering of the characters because we feel a subconscious desire to comfort them, and because of something that's called projection in psychology and philosopy, seeing these fictional characters being subjected to suffering, whether physical or emotional, makes us realise that we too feel sad and have a desire to be comforted, which we often don't get, so instead we try to seek comfort in wanting to help easing the suffering of fictional beings, and get gratitude for this in return, not not necessarily by the characters that we subconsciously assume to be real, by also by ourselves; a nice example of what's sometimes called egoistic altruism; being good to others to be rewared in return. This mechanism is so strong that it works even in the case of fiction, in which we know that it's ultimately all fake, and that the plots are often deliberately designed specifically to cater to this feeling.

I find Duke Nukem Forever to be really enjoyable because of the humor alone. In PC you can also hold 4 weapons as well which helps. I understand the flaws and complains, but I enjoy the stupid humor way too much. Also the story DLC was fantastic and way better than the game if you ask me. I wish they had released the second story DLC...

but I enjoy the stupid humor way too much.
Quick question, but what is your favourite kind of humour in video games?
Mine is self-referencing humour, which can be found in many games, especially indie series like Shovel Knight and Shantae, which usually have a high fandom repesentation in their developments in the form of fundraising, "submit your own character", "your face in-game" etc. and are fond of referencing this in-game ("Hey, you look familiar!"), though it can also be found in series like Donkey Kong Country, where the old, grumpy Cranky Kong makes all sorts of fourth wall-breaking complains, some of which about the games themselves.

Quick question, but what is your favourite kind of humour in video games?
Mine is self-referencing humour, which can be found in many games, especially indie series like Shovel Knight and Shantae, which usually have a high fandom repesentation in their developments in the form of fundraising, "submit your own character", "your face in-game" etc. and are fond of referencing this in-game ("Hey, you look familiar!"), though it can also be found in series like Donkey Kong Country, where the old, grumpy Cranky Kong makes all sorts of fourth wall-breaking complains, some of which about the games themselves.
Hm hard to say, a bit of everything? I just like how hard and "balls in" certain jokes can be from that game, it's stuff you wouldn't expect and Duke Nukem just doesn't give two single pieces of garlic going all in... at least for a game that tried to be mainstream. Not everything is a winner (throwing turds for example) but on average they are pretty fun. Although... now that I think about it, it's almost a decade old game, I don't know if I'd find it funny in mid 2021. I don't tend to laugh that much nowadays.

Sadly, I don't enjoy "making-references" humor. Back in the day it was rarely done and totally unexpected, but now it's extremely common, thrown into our mouths thanks to social media and many times it's "here's [reference] look!" which is not a joke: that's making a statement. Also I consider games pointing out the "jokes" to be bad humor, it's like explaining what the joke is. And if you have to explaining it, then it's just plain bad. In my opinion of course! By avoiding this whole pointing out, either you don't kill the joke or it's just a (neat) reference and nothing else. Nintendo tends to be pretty good at this, they don't push these references way too hard. Super Mario Odyssey makes a heck ton of references and they all flow so naturally without trying too hard, also... Uh, what was I writing about again? :wariosleep:

Also I consider games pointing out the "jokes" to be bad humor, it's like explaining what the joke is. And if you have to explaining it, then it's just plain bad.

True. There's nothing funny about ruining a joke by explaining it, though like I said in my recent post in the "Wario-related randomness" thread, some things can be funny on a meta level: they aren't funny per se, but there's something which still makes it (at least somewhat) funny, like how explaining a joke can in itself be a joke, for example if in a game the protagonist tells an NPC a joke, and the NPC doesn't get it even after a million times of explaining by the protagonist.
(Although it must be said that I don't actually know any instances of this myself.)

Last edited:
Back