How did you get into the Wario series?

Azett

One of 9-Volt's many fans >:3
Alternative title: "When did you decide to worship the Great Wario?"

Dance Dance Revolution: Mario Mix had a song called "Starring Wario" which sounded really great and was one of my favorites, so I decided to give the source game (Wario World) a try. While picking it out to rent, I also saw a copy of WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Party Game$ and decided to pick that up as well to try out. I gave Wario World a spin for a few hours then switched to Mega Party Game$, which ended up being my favorite and pretty much corrupted me into the WW series. Namely Mona's set cracked me up a lot while 9-Volt's kept me coming back for more.

When I was nine years of age, I discovered Ashley through Google; I found her totally cute so decided to save the image under "A girl from a Wario game." ever since then, I was hooked on Ashley.

I found out about WarioWare later. Have you noticed a lot of Ashley fans aren't' Wario Fans? weird. Anyway, that is how I came to know WarioWare and play its games! Through Ashley,

I borrowed a WL4 cartridge from my friend. It took me some time before I purchased another Wario game, and that happened to be WarioWare: Touched! I don't know when exactly I first played it, but it was some few years after its release, I think.

A friend brought over his grey-brick gameboy with Wario Land 1 on it, which I really enjoyed back then, and wanted to trade my Super Mario Bros Deluxe for it. I didn't understand Wario's backstory at the time so I thought he was like a Jekyl-and-Hyde version of Mario Hmm:. Anyway, I didn't get my own Wario game til WL3, cuz my friend declined the offer.

Back when I first got my Game Boy Color and was at the game store picking out games, I asked if they had any Mario titles and the store owner said "We don't have any Mario, but we have Wario." I looked on the shelf and saw a few boxes of Wario Land 2-- it looked strange to me, like Mario but not. I asked who Wario was, and they explained "He's like Mario's evil twin."

So after a little consideration I decided to pick up WL2 and give it a chance, and I didn't regret it one bit.

Basically from Mario Party when I was a kid and upon hearing the majestic Sir Doh I Missed all the time made me curious as to who he was so eventually I ended up buying WL4. Enjoyed it so much it made me interested in older GB games as a whole and not just WL4, soon afterwards I ended up in old gaming stores buying WL2, and WL3 for cheap.

I have two copies of WL3

Last edited:
I tried Smash Brawl and I really liked it and I even got to know Wario a bit more, (I found about Wa in Mario Power Tennis when I was in first grade or something, same with Waluigi actually) found out that he had his own games, and decided to learn about him because he's a "fun goofball" and very lovable. After playing some Mario spinoff ds games I wanted to get WarioWare Touched. I liked it and then I played Wario Land 4 and then the gba Wares and got into the series. Boom.

Also, I have no copies. Just roms. And since I only have a tablet, which is too big for a gyro sensor to work correctly, I can't tilt in Twisted. I only have copies of Smooth Moves and Mega Party Games, growing up with just consoles, and still growing up.

Last edited:
  • Dumb
Reactions: 607
I guess it was with Wario Land 1, which I bought on a whim, enjoyed, got stuck in and then replayed a few years later.

Though Wario Land 4 was the game that really cemented my love for the series, since it was one I'd been highly anticipating and that I basically got addicted to right away.

I got Super Mario Land when I received my first Game Boy. Then I followed the series with SML2 and then Wario Land. Loved it so much I became a fan.

Mario Kart 64 was the first game I was introduced to Wario, didn't know he had a spinoffs until I visited themushroomkingdom.net

Oh god, does that website still exist? That brings back memories.

It sure does! And looks the same as ever. One website I used to visit a ton that isn't even around anymore and is barely viewable via the internet archives is Nintendoland. More specifically the Mario Mania portion.

mario mania.png

I'm so envious of people who had official production for their first try. In a good way.
Sadly, it wasn't the case for me. TL;DR Russia/USSR never had official Nintendo support until SNES, which ultimately failed due to insane prices compared to those for Genesis/Megadrive. They only returned at the end of Wii era.
There was A LOT of cheap knock-offs of NES with some crazy bootleg games and hacks. I had one NES-like monstrosity. And eventually, I've got a bootleg Wario Land II game, which was just a Kirby's Adventure hack with Wario sprites in it. Never really liked the game, but liked the character. In time I grew big enough to use the Internet and finally tried the actual Wario games.
Still don't get Kirby games. They just don't seem appealing to me in some way?

I'm so envious of people who had official production for their first try. In a good way.
Sadly, it wasn't the case for me. TL;DR Russia/USSR never had official Nintendo support until SNES, which ultimately failed due to insane prices compared to those for Genesis/Megadrive. They only returned at the end of Wii era.
There was A LOT of cheap knock-offs of NES with some crazy bootleg games and hacks. I had one NES-like monstrosity. And eventually, I've got a bootleg Wario Land II game, which was just a Kirby's Adventure hack with Wario sprites in it. Never really liked the game, but liked the character. In time I grew big enough to use the Internet and finally tried the actual Wario games.

Huh? I'm genuinely surprised to hear that Nintendo never officially released the NES in the USSR. You'd expect that a country with over 140 million people would be a great market for a video game company. Or did the USSR government not allow foreign campanies to sell their products?
And were there no officially-made game consoles as a substitute for Nintendo products? I know the Soviet Union had its own arcade games, so a Soviet-built video game console would not be too far off.

Huh? I'm genuinely surprised to hear that Nintendo never officially released the NES in the USSR. You'd expect that a country with over 140 million people would be a great market for a video game company. Or did the USSR government not allow foreign campanies to sell their products?
And were there no officially-made game consoles as a substitute for Nintendo products? I know the Soviet Union had its own arcade games, so a Soviet-built video game console would not be too far off.
They couldn't compete with the cheaper and more ubiquitous knock offs. Look up the "Dendy".

Last edited:
This Guy: Ωmegα Thε Squιd Mαn
Back, when I was super intrested in Gmod/SFM videos, He had lot of Wario Content. I found it funny. Also, Wario does a thing made my intrest in Wario too. Then I found, that he had two series of games. The end.
Maybe, because Kirby isnt much of a platformer, but fighting-like game with start-finish formula. Something, you experience in Brawls story mode and Smash run, but way easier.

Oh shoot I thought I replied to this. I'd like to ask, what exactly made Wario stick in your mind? I've seen that Kirby's Adventure hack before and it just seems amazing to me that that would allow Wario to stick in your mind for you to try actual Wario games.

• Agree
Oh shoot I thought I replied to this. I'd like to ask, what exactly made Wario stick in your mind? I've seen that Kirby's Adventure hack before and it just seems amazing to me that that would allow Wario to stick in your mind for you to try actual Wario games.
The character design at first. He was looking way meaner compared to other main heroes in games, and I always had a weak spot for such characters. After discovering his true self thanks to the powers of the Net, I started to like him even more.

Back