Is Wario the Japanese translation of a stereotypical American?

Apples or donuts to get Fat Wario?

• Waffles

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Apples

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donuts

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters

Bubba

Currently trying unlock stuff in Joy Mech Fight
No offence but that is what I'm thinking over. At least in a comical manner that tries not to be offensive. He's short and overweight. He likes to ride in his motorcycle and car. He's greedy, he eats a lot, he's not very bright. He eats garlic but only to parody Mario. He lifts weights/exercises in his spare time. He watches television and reads the newspaper (even in Master of Disguise but I'm sort of talking about his diary in the WL4 manual). His cartoon humor can sort of be called American cartoon humor right? Like Tom and Jerry?

Heck even Warioware is this way. You got Jimmy T. the fitness freak, Dribble and Spitz the car mechanics, Orbulon the alien sightings by the US government, 8-Volt and 16-Volt the retro game fans (8-Volt even playing games at night when is mom is after him is a stereotype)... Heck Wario owns a business to make money because he's greedy.

And the music? Rock music in WL4. Silly cartoon music in the older games. Quirky music in recent games.

Last edited:
No offence but that is what I'm thinking over. At least in a comical manner that tries not to be offensive. He's short and overweight. He likes to ride in his motorcycle and car. He's greedy, he eats a lot, he's not very bright. He eats garlic but only to parody Mario. He lifts weights/exercises in his spare time. He watches television and reads the newspaper (even in Master of Disguise but I'm sort of talking about his diary in the WL4 manual). His cartoon humor can sort of be called American cartoon humor right? Like Tom and Jerry?

Heck even Warioware is this way. You got Jimmy T. the fitness freak, Dribble and Spitz the car mechanics, Orbulon the alien sightings by the US government, 8-Volt and 16-Volt the retro game fans (8-Volt even playing games at night when is mom is after him is a stereotype)... Heck Wario owns a business to make money because he's greedy.

And the music? Rock music in WL4. Silly cartoon music in the older games. Quirky music in recent games.
Oh wow. It's so fitting! You could make a game theory about that :p

I'm more concerned about the "not very bright" thing. When was that ever portrayed? He seems to have a pretty good head on his shoulders to me, especially when it comes to making money. I mean he does run his own business, after all.

Impatient yes (though not really as much as you'd expect), but other than that he just acts like a normal guy who's learning about something new for the first time.

I mean he understands everything he's being taught about game design and he's able to communicate in an articulate manner. Nothing there suggests he has below average intelligence.

Impatient yes (though not really as much as you'd expect), but other than that he just acts like a normal guy who's learning about something new for the first time.

I mean he understands everything he's being taught about game design and he's able to communicate in an articulate manner. Nothing there suggests he has below average intelligence.

Action instructions? That's a little confusing, because most people use AI as the term for artificial intelligence. But apart from that, it's actually quite a good tutorial, I think!

Well Wario must not be very bright to use his hat as a handkerchief and doesn't know the white on his hat is bird poop as told in the Wario Land 4 manual. And I think his big head reflects his big ego (for example, when saying Wa all the time). And keep in mind the way to make the games in DIY was designed to be so easy even Wario can do it. Sure he can drive and eat and get treasure but he never really needed to use his mind much.

Well Wario must not be very bright to use his hat as a handkerchief and doesn't know the white on his hat is bird poop as told in the Wario Land 4 manual. And I think his big head reflects his big ego (for example, when saying Wa all the time). And keep in mind the way to make the games in DIY was designed to be so easy even Wario can do it. Sure he can drive and eat and get treasure but he never really needed to use his mind much.
Some cd's in Wario Land 4 though... Try to get them without using your mind much! :eek:

Wario's nowhere near dumb. Dumb people can't make games, run a video game company or manage to keep getting their friends to work on their projects for free.

He just has no time for stupid tutorials.

Wario's nowhere near dumb. Dumb people can't make games, run a video game company or manage to keep getting their friends to work on their projects for free.

He just has no time for stupid tutorials.
Sure he can be smart but in that case he is lazy. His games in DIY aren't even finished and it's a little thing. Does Wario not have any artistic ability? Dr. Crygor probably made all the things Wario gets a profit out of. They aren't even long games either. Just "short stories" with simple objectives.

Wario probably doesn't see much value in "art" or "creative expression" in and of themselves, but he's shown himself quite capable of creative thinking when it comes to things he actually cares about (chiefly, making money).

It's odd you cited the Wario Land 4 manual, because Wario's diary entry and his running commentary throughout the manual (btw, I just love how Wario can basically act as the Cranky Kong for his own manual) portray him as possibly the most articulate and self-aware character in the entire Mario universe.

Last edited:
Sure he can be smart but in that case he is lazy. His games in DIY aren't even finished and it's a little thing. Does Wario not have any artistic ability? Dr. Crygor probably made all the things Wario gets a profit out of. They aren't even long games either. Just "short stories" with simple objectives.

Smart and lazy is definitely a thing. Indeed, someone would say many of the smartest people around are lazy or unmotivated...

Silly and unsupported idea invented from Smash Bros fans when Brawl played up Wario gross side while downplaying his strength.

Also I'm surprised no one has called Samraui Goroh, the Japanese portrayal of the American portrayal of a stereotypical Japanese.

Silly and unsupported idea invented from Smash Bros fans when Brawl played up Wario gross side while downplaying his strength.

Also I'm surprised no one has called Samraui Goroh, the Japanese portrayal of the American portrayal of a stereotypical Japanese.

What do you mean by that? I've not really played F-Zero, so I don't know much about his personality...

Back