Just what was up with Wario's facial animations in World?

warelander

Some random guy online
The title speaks for itself and for those who don't know what I mean just watch the ending (1:42) :

(You can also see it very well when walking towards the camera in the hubworld)

For what it's worth I was laughing myself stupid when I first saw it and I can imagine it being an attempt to replicate the more deranged Wario faces, that you occasionally see in in japanese advertisement, but just what is the reason behind it?

Maybe it's suppose to be his reaction in slow motion or something. It does look hilarious. Kinda reminds me of Sonic Adventure DX.

It is in slow motion, but the odd thing is just how his face moves like it's made out of pudding or something along the lines of that.

0:33 in the video Wario has no visible neck it's like he's the next Rayman.

wat.png

Reactions: 607
Maybe it's suppose to be his reaction in slow motion or something. It does look hilarious. Kinda reminds me of Sonic Adventure DX.

I was trying to put my finger on it, but yes. This is what it reminds me of. Sonic Adventure's ridiculous facial animations.

They look a little better on Wario...but that's not saying much

I always thought Wario World had a weird, rough look. Things look clayish and the shading doesn't help.

The environmental lighting and particle effects were spectacular. Some areas still look great today (certain sections of Horror Manor and Wonky Circus), plus freeze-framing effects like the piledriver in an enemy crowd. Very flash. But the cut-scene animations really needed a lick of paint. They looked awkward in 2003!

In the opening, Wario's laugh animation always made me cringe when other people were in the room. It looks like a cheesy animatronic you'd find at a carnival, especially with the laughter recording playing in the background.
wario-world-6.jpg
warioworld01.jpg

Oh gosh, but Wario's animations in this game were so cool! I like bouncy animations, and that stache wiggle and wobbly nose are so comedic! xD

I noticed in Smash 4 that Waroo can have some really odd facial expressions. His slow walk animation has him make this really awkward face.

I noticed in Smash 4 that Waroo can have some really odd facial expressions. His slow walk animation has him make this really awkward face.

Oh yes, he does! And in a lot of his attacks too! I like those animations more than the Wii version!

The environmental lighting and particle effects were spectacular. Some areas still look great today (certain sections of Horror Manor and Wonky Circus), plus freeze-framing effects like the piledriver in an enemy crowd. Very flash. But the cut-scene animations really needed a lick of paint. They looked awkward in 2003!

In the opening, Wario's laugh animation always made me cringe when other people were in the room. It looks like a cheesy animatronic you'd find at a carnival, especially with the laughter recording playing in the background.
wario-world-6.jpg
warioworld01.jpg
I think I need to take a closer look again but yeah Wario looking awkward is one of the things I remember most visually about this game.

Oh gosh, but Wario's animations in this game were so cool! I like bouncy animations, and that stache wiggle and wobbly nose are so comedic! xD

Yeah, I love the in-game animations. I just think most of the cut-scene animations were sloppy and out of sync with the voice acting. Mainly the laughing on his throne and the "I'M-A NUMBER ONE!" animation used in the boss cutscenes. However, I absolutely love his gasp right before the end credits.

I always wondered what was going on in his head..
48xKSHC.gif
I simply adore this animation. It portrays Wario's seething rage perfectly. His castle was just destroyed, his treasure turned into vast hoards of moronic monsters....
He's so pissed off that his whole face is twitching and contorting with rage. :mad:

I honestly assume the dev team at Treasure had some fun toying around with his facial model, and they either deliberately left that in as a easy alternative to actually have to animate Wario looking amazed/surprised, or it was a error. I always thought the dev team ran out of time or funds to fully flesh out this game it's full potential, so I think this weird bit might be slight evidence to it.

Nevertheless, it's still funny, and the ending screenshot depicting how much of his estate Wario actually gets back at the end sort of reminds me of Luigi's Mansion's ending screenshots of the estate Luigi affords depending on how much cash he collected at the end.

Back