Mario Sports Series' Discussion

What's the best Mario Sports Series?

• Total voters
Changed up the title since general talk about the many series' (like we already had here) is more interesting and has more discussion potential then just ''favorite xy''.

Anyways I got the urge to play Mario Golf Advance Tour again and while I did mention them in passing I have to admit that I really love the GBC and GBA Tennis/Golf games. I can see why people would be turned off, since the Mario aspect does take a backseat, but I always really enjoyed how unorthodox they are, they just stand out among the other games, which is even more refreshing nowadays with how generic a lot of the newer Mario spin offs have become, with how much they try to emulate the plattformers in terms of conventions and artstyle these days.

It helps that much like their console counterparts, they have way more flavor and charm then one would ever imagine from these kind of games, including continuity between games, for handheld sport spin offs of a mascot plattformer franchise, that's already kind of amazing in it's own right. Transferring your high level characters to the console versions and wrecking all challenges with ease is also extremly satisfying and something I found incredibly novel back then, it's also one the only uses I ever got out of the Transfer Pak and GBA/GC Link Cable.

Also seing this on Deviantart was what gave me the idea to play Advance Tour again:
jzv7mw.jpg

http://doctorwalui.deviantart.com/art/ELLA-572757878

(Glad to see that people still remember the game for the record)

To give Mario Golf World Tour credit, I like how it tried to have a replacement for the RPG styled games (on top of the fantastic console style main modes even), it was very short and didn't have the same punch to it as the GC/GBA games, but I like that they at least tried and enjoyed what was there and I'd like to see them build on it in future games.

Seeing Golf, Tennis and Baseball as part of a collection of sports feels a little odd to me, but it seems like it will be fun, as long as the individual sports aren't too bare in mechanics and content.

Ok I didn't get a good look at it earlier but it seems to be Camelot. It'll be interesting to see their takes on soccer/football and baseball. Looks promising so far, hope Camelot can redeem themselves.

Rosalina and Daisy are depicted as double partners. Kewl. I wonder if they're double partners for the tournament mode?
XzpgsRCFnt_CFRl4E5Rm5tBrNqnm7PzNKsJgcsOs97ptVdy0eN6PUNErsRzT-vystxzxVKWp6A=w1366-h768-no

They compliment each other well, actually. like fire and ice *shoot*

Ok I didn't get a good look at it earlier but it seems to be Camelot. It'll be interesting to see their takes on soccer/football and baseball. Looks promising so far, hope Camelot can redeem themselves.

The style looks like it was made by Square Enix!

The horse sports minigame(if it even is one) reminds me of Mario Kart with horses not that it's a bad thing. Perhaps we'll be able to jump over obstacles to make it much more challenging as it seems pretty fun. Tennis bit just seems like what we've already gotten with a previous installment of the Mario Tennis series that turned out to be crappy, hopefully this would be better.

I'm actually a bit disappointed that it's not a console game since it looks like it'd be great for local multiplayer.

If it was on a console with multiplayer action that would have been really great since some of these sports games would seem to work well that way.

Though if it is Camelot who's making it I think they're doing this for the 3DS so they can reuse assets from their 2 3DS games.

Wouldn't think them reusing assets is too bad, considering it's a 3DS game it would definitely work. The gameplay also looks a lot more intuitive than the Mario/Sonic Olympic games as well. Baseball team reminds me of sluggers it's like combining a lot of Camelot's other Mario sports title into one game.

Seeing Golf, Tennis and Baseball as part of a collection of sports feels a little odd to me, but it seems like it will be fun, as long as the individual sports aren't too bare in mechanics and content.

Instead of Mario Kart 7, we'll have horse racing?

I hope Dr. Crygor's in this new sport game. Seeing Dr. Crygor play tennis and golf would just be awesome!
More like anyone from the Wario Universe.

Back