Mario Sports Series' Discussion

What's the best Mario Sports Series?

• Total voters

warelander

Some random guy online
Since Wario has a big presence in these games it's only fitting to ask the question, which ones are the most liked ones here?

My favorite of the Mario Sport series' is Golf, for being very consistend in quality and all of Camelot's offerings (save for Mobile Golf, which I never played) rank extremly high for me, among the Mario spin offs of their respective systems, NES Tournament Golf is also a nice game and while I never played Mobile Golf I give it probs for including Foreman Spike.

Tennis used to rival Golf as my favorite sports series and still adore the N64, GBC, GC and GBA games, it's just that Tennis Open was really bland for me and Ultra Smash is just straight up laughable, I can only hope that the series finds it's way back on track again.

The Strikers series is also great, Charged is a bit too balls to the walls insane when comes to unlocking everything, but it's easily the most energetic Mario sports game, which makes the multiplayer a blast, couple that with Strikers having a very distinct artstyle and tone from any other Mario series and a ton of personality and you have a true winner, in my eyes.

I have yet to play Super Sluggers, but I liked Superstar Baseball a ton.

Sport Mix is decent in my eyes, all four sports are pretty basic and not very deep, but they are still a good time in multiplayer, I'd actually like to see a standalone Eshop sequel for Dodgeball, that was always my favorite of the four sports.

Hoop 3-on-3 is a mixed bag for me, the soundtrack is great and it has interesting ideas, but it can also be really irritating at times.

With Mario & Sonic I felt like the first game was just living off the crossover novelty, with very few other interesting things to it. The second game was a lot better in my eyes and I liked that one quite a bunch, while 2012 was essentially the first game again, but better in every area. After that the series just became uninteresting and repetetive to me, the Dream Events and remixes are still something to look forward to, but that's not enough for me to make any difference.

Does mario kart count as a sports game? well go karting maybe, maybe not?
Personally had the most fun with the golf games, they've always been so relaxing especially the one on N64 and Toadstool Tour. Having very fun stages as well as chill music definitely earns some major points. Swear after playing the N64 mario golf with both family and friends toad highlands is forever stuck in my head.

I added Kart to the poll, personally I don't really count it among the ''regular'' sports, but those who do can now vote/change their vote for it.

I added Kart to the poll, personally I don't really count it among the ''regular'' sports, but those who do can now vote/change their vote for it.
Damn, I kind of wanted to hear more about the other sports series since they don't get as much attention as Kart.

Speaking of these sports games and on the topic of mario golf I never understood why it included real people and then we never saw them again for the sequels.
Like who are these people?

maple.jpg

Speaking of these sports games and on the topic of mario golf I never understood why it included real people and then we never saw them again for the sequels.
Like who are these people?

View attachment 1337
I always took it as Camelot trying to be like the NES sports games that Mario was involved in, which had human characters that you never saw anywhere else in the Marioverse.

Not sure how accurate this idea is, but Camelot did have a knack for adding references to these NES titles, such as Mario being the referee in Mario Tennis 64, just like he was in ''Tennis'' for NES/Game Boy, so I wouldn't be shocked if there was some truth to my assumption.

That actually makes sense though I've never played any NES sports title games aside from track and field. Some of the character design for the real people sort of clash with the mario characters not that it's a particularly bad thing, it doesn't really fit. It's refreshing to see new characters and not just add in a bunch of babies or metal/alloy versions of other characters.

I actually have a soft spot for the human oddballs in these games, I get why not everyone would, but I'd take them over even more Baby/Metal/Dry clones any day of the millenium.

I actually have a soft spot for the human oddballs in these games, I get why not everyone would, but I'd take them over even more Baby/Metal/Dry clones any day of the millenium.

As weird as they may seem it'd be better to include some one like plum or maple rather than these other recolors.

Well, Super Mario Sunshine kind of set him up as a major 'character' in the ending. Where it hinted that Il Piantissimo became the new Shadow Mario:

Findmagicbrush.png

That lasted... all of one spinoff.

Mii's replaced the real world characters? Not sure how to feel about that maybe it's my nostalgia wanting them to come back, perhaps in the future if at all.

Mii's replaced the real world characters? Not sure how to feel about that maybe it's my nostalgia wanting them to come back, perhaps in the future if at all.
According to Camelot's developers, Nintendo themselves have the last word when adding characters.

Camelot has always had a hand at making sports games with Nintendo since it's more of a partnership both sides need to agree who and who wouldn't be right for their game whether it be golf, tennis, and so on.

Well, I suppose I should make a proper posts on this thread. I don't really have a favorite but I'll give my comments on each series.

Mario Golf has always been consistently enjoyable at least going with the main series starting with the N64 one. They've all been consistently well done and enjoyable.

I loved the tennis series up until the 3DS one where it started getting bland and I hate how that series was chosen to be the "rushed holiday filler" with Ultra Smash.

Strikers is also pretty great. While some people may like the personality of the game I found it a tad too edgy. The musical choices for some characters is rather bizarre as well.

I've only played Superstar Baseball for the baseball series which I enjoyed even if batting is absolutely aggravating.

Haven't played any of the strange Square Enix crossovers.

I wish the Mario & Sonic series would stop.

I don't really want to say anything about Mario Kart.

Back