obligatory "What vidcons are you playing????" thread

Let me tell you a shitty, boring story. About games. About feels.

I begged my parents to get an original xbox in 2004. Mechassault and halo blew up my stupid kid mind, and I wanted the biggest, shiniest toy. And so they did.

It came with a double disc of tetris worlds and star wars: the clone wars

This stupid game:

27D6we4.jpg

I expected star wars to be the predictable licensed trash but when I played it I LOVED it. It wasn't a very deep game. Nor was it very well produced. But what it had is JEDI not doing jedi shit but inexplicably driving VEHICLES and shooting SHIT at BIG ROBOTS. Little me lapped that up.

But after like a year, the disc went bad. The clone wars half didn't go past the initial loading screen. I tried a ton of cleaning and scratch-repair solutions but nothing brought it back to life. No longer would I control Mace Windu in really shitty and simplistic lightsaber sequences nor would I get to hear the worst voice actor for Obi-Wan. Ever.

Then the xbox died and i didn't bother to replace it until two weeks ago. I heard the revision for my new Xbox model had a better and more reliable disc drive, so I inserted the game in and *it fucking worked*.

And thus, after many years, I'm able to reexperience a cornerstone of my childhood. Not a generation-defining act, or a beloved cartoon that stands up to an adult mind, but a mediocre Star Wars prequels tie-in. And being a mature, intelligent individual... I figured that was worth expressing.

16085_front.jpg

holy shit, this game is awesome.

Battle Engine Aquila is a transforming mech combat game, with a Twist™. Each mission depict massive combined arm battles, and the focus is not on taking out immediate threat, but rather eliminating key enemy units and production facilities in a way that allows your side to get the advantage. The concept is that you're basically playing as an unit in an invisible RTS game, and it's awesome.

Only Lair came close to replicating Battle Engine Aquila's massive battlefields, and while I loved it, it was a deeply flawed game in many ways. Truly one of a kind.

Conker's Bad Fur Day. I certainly knew about it, did research on it, even, but I never played it until Rare Replay.

Didn't even borrow my cousin's copy of the N64 version, though I never asked. I'm sure if I asked, she would have let me borrow it. Don't need to now, of course, since I have my own copy now.

It's been loads and loads of fun. I keep going further and further, and I'm loving it.

Haven't been playing many games lately but I have been playing the new Shovel Knight DLC, Plague of Shadows. It's alright but playing as Plague Knight does take some getting used to.

i have completed

16329_front.jpg

turok evolution tells the story of a world of chaos

a world where poorly-timed scripted events gib the player with no understanding or forewarning of the doom that befell them

a world where the mere action of climbing or stepping down ladders is a permanent life and death struggle

a world where poorly-implemented flight combat sequences have caused much pterodactyls to splatter on poorly-textured cliffsides

a world where poorly-compresed audio clips render incomprehensible the tale of one-dimensional characters going through an incoherent series of event

a world where the final boss is a cyborg cowboy riding a fire-breathing t-rex

(I still liked it!)

13718_front.jpg

Downforce is a ps2-exclusive arcade racing game that's extremely obscure, which is kinda unfortunate because it's actually really good. The premise of the game is that a group of rogue F1 pilots have formed a new racing league allowing for more advanced technology and tracks in urban environements.

I don't have much to say since it's a simple racing game with no obvious "hook" or amusing anecdote to it (beside an amusingly stupid typo on the back cover I guess), but it's a fun, bullshit-free game with good presentation and cool car design (I particularly like the look of the UK car). Don't let the Titus logo fool you!

i have completed

16329_front.jpg

turok evolution tells the story of a world of chaos

a world where poorly-timed scripted events gib the player with no understanding or forewarning of the doom that befell them

a world where the mere action of climbing or stepping down ladders is a permanent life and death struggle

a world where poorly-implemented flight combat sequences have caused much pterodactyls to splatter on poorly-textured cliffsides

a world where poorly-compresed audio clips render incomprehensible the tale of one-dimensional characters going through an incoherent series of event

a world where the final boss is a cyborg cowboy riding a fire-breathing t-rex

(I still liked it!)

Whoa, how did you beat this game? I couldnt even come close to beating it ; _ ; And did you play it on xbox? I played it for Gamecube, and it was great, but I tried it for ps2 as well, and it was just awful : p

I grew up with turok on N64, so I got this game, and was excited to try it, and I really liked it. I thought the graphics were pretty, and it had the same feeling from the N64 games, big long levels with lots to explore, and less focus on constant shooting of bad guys : p I really enjoyed this game a ton :3

Turok is like the only FPS game I really enjoy, I have a big soft spot for Turok ; p

And lately I have been playing Wario Land 4, Im currently at the boss fight in the ruby passage, and I have completed the other 3 passages (CatBat was the best boss : p) I have been playing Shadowman for N64 for Halloween :3 Its an open world adventure RPG for 64, its really great too. Its scary, it takes place in the world of the dead, and it really captures that feeling.

Ive been playing around in Skies of Arcadia for gamecube as well, I really love that game a ton, its a great feel good JRPG, its generally simple compared to other JRPGs (which is a good thing), but it has alot to do, with lots of sidequests. I really enjoy the game a bunch :3

Whoa, how did you beat this game?

I enabled auto-aim ._. even then, some of the flight combat sequences later in the game are ridiculous.

----

13405_front.jpg

Airforce Delta Storm is an Ace Combat clone and one of the Xbox's launch game. i'm currently recording videos of it.

AFDS big gimmick is its map system. Rather thank taking you on a linear sequence of missions as in most flight games, you move your plane world map filled with generic battlegrounds and friendly airbases, which you can land in to purchase new planes and start contracts for storyline and optional missions at your leisure. Several missions require you to chase enemy planes across the maps, and exploring it may reveal hidden friendly airbases with hidden planes and even secret missions. Sounds cool in theory, but...

The map is littered with spots representing short, generic easy missions, some spots are permanently yours while other regenerate after several ingame turns, and the later type are usually placed in the paths you need to take the most. Doing these get old really fast. Another problem is that the game loves to reuse content - several missions are identical to earlier ones, only with different weather effect and skybox, but the same enemies and objectives. One mission late in the game is cloned *three* times.

Still, it's a pretty fun game. The plane roster is awesome (Yak-141? Chinese Jets? The Lavi?), it's very content heavy even without all the filler, and the visuals are excellent for a 2001 game. My opinion of the game went considerably up after completing it and being allowed to do the actual fun stuff in free mission mode without the crud getting in the way.

Glowsquid, you talk alot about air battle games, have you ever played Crimson Skies for dreamcast? I never got the chance to play it myself, but I watched my brother play it, and it looked really neat.

I played the two Rouge Squadrons for N64 as well. Im sure youve played them before, too : p But they were alot of fun. The first one was much better though.

Speaking of air battle games, I used to play an over head view air chopper game, you piloted a battle helicopter in like some asian country, it wa alot of fun. Id like to know what game that is....

I got Crimson Skies HRTR (xbox) this summer and completed it, as I rented it when I was like, 10, and it made an huge impression on me at that time. It really is a fantastic game. I also tried to play the original PC game, but framerate was awful and the fix commonly circulated online didn't work.

The first one was much better though.

The first RS is my favourite between it and Rogue Leader (first GC one). I've yet to play Rebel Strike though.

Speaking of air battle games, I used to play an over head view air chopper game, you piloted a battle helicopter in like some asian country, it wa alot of fun. Id like to know what game that is....

What system? sounds like desert strike.

I got Crimson Skies HRTR (xbox) this summer and completed it, as I rented it when I was like, 10, and it made an huge impression on me at that time. It really is a fantastic game. I also tried to play the original PC game, but framerate was awful and the fix commonly circulated online didn't work.

The first RS is my favourite between it and Rogue Leader (first GC one). I've yet to play Rebel Strike though.

What system? sounds like desert strike.

Oh, haha I was under the intention that Crimson Skies was a Dreamcast exclusive : p
So, with that, Skies of Arcadia, Shadowman and Soul Eater, ysou can get any good Dreamcast game on the other systems >.> And I really liked it too, the graphics looked good for that era, and it didnt seem too overly complicated, you cold actally see all your foes on the screen (thats a big isse I have with air battle games), and it looked fun.

And yeah, I actually spent a huge amount of time playing the same levels over and over again in the first RS game : p It was great. I played one of the two gamecube RS games, cant remember the name, but it was the one where you left the ship and could run around in like a 3rd person shooter kinda thing. I dont remember it much, but I think it was a bit too complicated for me....

And haha, doi, I thought I put the system there : p We used to play it for Sega Saturn, and I really liked it alot.
Btw, Saturn was great, I would buy another one again if I could.

crimson skies wasn't ever released for the dreamcast, lol. you might be hinking of Iron Aces or Propeller Arena.

And haha, doi, I thought I put the system there : p We used to play it for Sega Saturn, and I really liked it alot.
Btw, Saturn was great, I would buy another one again if I could.

then it's probably Soviet Strike

if it's not, then the other helicopter games on the saturn are:

*Black Fire
*Black Dawn
*Thunderstrike 2: Operation Firestorm
*Twin Cobra II (vertical shmup)

crimson skies wasn't ever released for the dreamcast, lol. you might be hinking of Iron Aces or Propeller Arena.
then it's probably Soviet Strike
if it's not, then the other helicopter games on the saturn are:
*Black Fire
*Black Dawn
*Thunderstrike 2: Operation Firestorm
*Twin Cobra II (vertical shmup)

What? Are you serious? I like remember having a discussion with my brother about how he wanted a Dreamcast to get Crimson Skies and everything. Gah, I could have sworn that had happened :/
Ah well. Haha Ill have to ask him what game that was next time I see him, cuz apparently Im mixing up memories here : p

And yeah! Soviet Strike is way familiar. I will look that up soonish. I remember really liking that game along with Virtua Fighter and some Daytona racing game, haha. I had alot of fun with the Sega Saturn growing up. Would like to find another.

are you sure you aren't confusing it with Skies of Arcadia, lol

Hahaha : p You do fly in SoA, Im sure I could totally possibly be mixing them up : p
Would not totally be surprised if I did :/

Oh, I just found on wiki though, that there was like a sequel for xbox. Thats crazy though, cuz I remember him playing it at around the same time as Soul Reaver (I cant totally seem to remember that games name), I dont actually remember him playing it on xbox, he only ever played Morrowind, Fable and Star Wars KOTR on his xbox. Haha how weird, he must have played them around the same time.

I'm addicted to Zelda: Triforce Heroes right now @_@

Once I get bored of it I'm gonna get around to playing Fragile Dreams for wii and then replaying Zelda alttp at some point. Once I'm done with all that, Xenoblade X will probably be out.

Back