Pizza Tower - A Wario Land-Inspired Game in Development

It's finally out and it's fun. My favorite part of the game were the boss battles. It's neat that this Peppino doesn't take damage like WL2&3, but there is a health system during the boss fights.

I like how this game leans a bit into having a creepy atmosphere. If Nintendo ever makes a new Wario Land game, I want them to create an unsettling feeling like WL3 and WL4 did.

What sets this game apart a lot from Wario Land games is how athletic and fast Peppino is. That's another thing a new Wario Land entry could benefit from, which is improving how Wario controls and moves. Pizza Tower and the Antonblast demo give a lot of freedom in the controls/physics. I think one of the best parts of VB: Wario Land is how Wario moves and how much space his shoulder charge jump can cover.

We might not be getting a new Wario Land game anytime soon, but it's a good time for Wario-Like games. I beat Pizza Tower, but I still see myself playing it. I'm most looking forward to Antonblast coming out in late 2023/early 2024. Shovel Knight Dig might get King Knight DLC. The dev of Duke Dashington is thinking about making a sequel. There's also a 2D puzzle platformer inspired by Wario Land called Woten DX.

Fnat-0uXoAEhDbz.jpg

I needed my Sonic fix and Sonic Frontiers didn't do it for me. However, Pizza Tower did and so much more. I am really impressed with this game on all levels. It's one thing to be a good Wario Land spiritual successor but this game knocked it out of the park. The game just feels really good to play. The art and style is perfect for the game. The music is amazing. I was initially concerned that this game was trying to do too many things but I think that actually works in this game's favor as it makes it possible to approach the game in various ways which feels rare for a 2D platformer.
goodnice.png

Back