Puyo Puyo

I apologize if I came off as if I was trying to complain about it, because I know there aint' much to say recently, I was actually just voicing my suprise since I didn't realize that I'd make a quadruple post with this, though in hinsight I do see that it comes across like something else.

I am not sure if this is a popular sentiment and it very well may be but while I mostly like the post-Compile Puyo artstyles, I found them to be rather lazy. Just so simple and it makes me feel the artstyle was picked for that reason when being compared to the artstyles used by Compile. More distinct? I would say so but I can't shake that feeling of laziness for the games from Fever 2- Puyo Puyo 7. One of the reasons for this is because on pixiv I've seen a lot of less experienced artists use this artstyle for non-Puyo projects. This feeling of it being an easy to use artstyle similar to Sonic fan-characters cheapens the feeling of the artstyle for me if that makes sense.
I do find the 20th Anniversary artstyle onward to be to my liking and I feel more forgiving towards that one.

I do sort of agree with that statement, actually. Sure, the post-Compile Puyo artstyles may look really cute and charmingly simple, but I also initially thought of them as somewhat lazily drawn, especially the spaghetti-limb stuff that I see prevalent in the Sonic series' artwork on the characters that seems to be a SEGA trademark at this point if you'd ask me. Still though, I appreciate art evolution like this alot.

As for new Compile-era character candidates, are there any noteeworthy ones? I was thinking that possibly Zombie could appear, or Harpy could make a playable debut at last, if I recall correctly that the only thing she had was a cameo in 7?

Zombie would be cool to have back, thought I don't see him making it, since he wasn't even in Quest. I'm expecting the roster to be mostly identical to the one in 20th.

In other news here is an interesting tidbit about Allie:
A little note on Allie's catchphrase: 愛し合っている is a valid Japanese for "to be in love with each other" and this is what she means (although her word choice is already a little off), but she actually says 愛し合う "to love each other", which is a common euphemism for "to make love".

Last edited:
The official site now has a character page:
http://puyo.sega.jp/PuyopuyoChronicle/character/index.html#10

Suketoudara confirmed, also the roster is going to include 24 characters plus 5 character who are exclusive to the new Skill Battle mode, the previous scan also confirms Dongurigaeru to be the first of these exclusives.

It begs the question who (if anyone) else is going to be demoted to a mode exclusive, my money is on Onion Pixy, though I'd also take Strange Klug as a Skill Battle only character, if it's the only way he's getting in.

Last edited:
Hey, warelander, is Puyo Puyo Chonicles an RPG style game? I know the past games were puzzles. I'll have to check the games out, though, I'm a total noob! xD

Here is somethin' neat:
http://bluejackg.tumblr.com/post/152254334416/hd-remake-of-puyo-puyos-title-screen-the

Yup, made by our very own @BlueJackG, figured I'd share it here as well, because his blog needs and deserves more love.

Also, this day marks the 25th Anniversary of Puyo Puyo, so happeh birthdeh colorful jellybean pop series.

Why did I not see this? Thank you for sharing, friend! :D

Hey, warelander, is Puyo Puyo Chonicles an RPG style game? I know the past games were puzzles. I'll have to check the games out, though, I'm a total noob! xD

Why did I not see this? Thank you for sharing, friend! :D

Your welcome dude!

And yeah, the game does have a RPG mode, this trailer should give you an basic idea of how it works, in case you are interested:

Last edited:
Your welcome dude!

And yeah, the game does have a RPG mode, this trailer should give you an basic idea of how it works, in case you are interested:

But is it a first to the series? That's quite interesting! So it's kind of a mix between the puzzle mode and RPG gameplay!
BTW, I like how you can see the ice puzzle like Pokémon had! xD

It's the first in a very long time, though the RPG modes in Puyo Puyo BOX and the Nazo Puyo spin off series predate it.

Generally speaking while it may not be the first to have an RPG mode or 3D polygonal visuals it IS however the first time Sega has done something like this with the series ever since they bought the remaining rights from Compile, so it still feels fresh regardless,

The biggest question is whether or not we are going to get a western release, I'd say anything is possible, especially since Sega has been emracing the franchise in the west a bit more in recent years and there has been a vocal and abnormally large amount of interest from western audiences, but at the same time past experiences have taught me a lesson or two.

So we will just have to wait and see.

The biggest question is whether or not we are going to get a western release, I'd say anything is possible, especially since Sega has been emracing the franchise in the west a bit more in recent years and there has been a vocal and abnormally large amount of interest from western audiences, but at the same time past experiences have tought me a lesson or two.

That's always the question... I sure hope it comes out overseas! Another puzzle game that didn't fully come out, outside of Japan, was Panel de Pon. It came out as Tetris attack (I think) and Pokémon Puzzle League. But they removed all original Panel de Pon characters. I only knew about the series because of hints in Smash Bros Brawl, like the flower staff and Lip's theme song.

Both series suffered from the reskinning practices of the past and it damaged their chances of being recognized on a more global scale by quite a lot.

Still, I'm holding hope that Chronicles could be the game changer that get's a chance and does at least well enough to convince Sega that there is an audience in the west.

And even if it doesn't happen I'm at least glad that the series is still having such a healthy life, even after almost three decades (especially if you take Madou Monogatari into account as well).

The official site now has a character page:
http://puyo.sega.jp/PuyopuyoChronicle/character/index.html#10

Suketoudara confirmed, also the roster is going to include 24 characters plus 5 character who are exclusive to the new Skill Battle mode, the previous scan also confirms Dongurigaeru to be the first of these exclusives.

It begs the question who (if anyone) else is going to be demoted to a mode exclusive, my money is on Onion Pixy, though I'd also take Strange Klug as a Skill Battle only character, if it's the only way he's getting in.
It'll be interesting to see if this means there will be a more definite character hierarchy now.

Souw, Sega 3D Classics Collection finally came out in Europe last friday, went to pick it up today and I'm suprised at how nice it is.

Obviously Tsu is the one game that's relevant in this thread and what can I say, it's arcade Tsu, so you get the nice visuals and audio of that version.

I have played Tsu millions of times before, especially with how many versions there are, but having an arcade perfect port on the go is nice, especially since it is on a system that I actually take with me much of the time, unlike the PSP.

What suprised me though, is just how nicely the game is emulated, really 1:1, I have heard people rave about how good the 3D Classics ports are, I'm just too used to lackluster Sega re-releases to a point where I wasn't sure how much I should believe it, but this just FEELS right, even the menus where you adjust difficulty, margin time,etc to your liking are so convenient, quick and smooth that ungh, it's wonderful.

Not gonna lie, I'm actually really happy to have this beyond the (admitingly shallow) surface level of supporting ANY western Puyo release (granted Power Drift intersted me too, but Puyo was still the main deal for me).

We now know almost the entire roster:
V4ihP9l.png

HOLY SHIT IT'S LAGNUS!!! As a Skill Battle only chara sure, but still HE'S BACK!!

Seriri and Harpy being back is awesome too obviously, but c'mon Lagnus!

Congrats on that, Warelander! I do wonder who the final character is, but we'll have to wait and see. From what I can slightly make out it seems to be a pony-tailed character or one with a braid, so from what I've been discussing and slightly speculating, my guess goes out to Doppelganger Arle.

My guess would go to Doppel as well, because of the what seems to be a pony-tail to the right as you mentioned, plus, the very round part to the left could easily be her Pierrot mask.

It could also be a new villain, though I personally hope it's Doppel.

Back