Puyo Puyo

Censored Gaming made a video detailing the Satan/Dark Prince naming history in localization:

I think he confused me as the one who found it, because he actually approached me on Twitter about it earlier today:
https://twitter.com/DanTomordy/status/820620208515727361

Still, always glad to help, if I'm asked about something, it's just a funny little thing that happened.

Oh wow, nice cameo appearance there, Ware.

Satan's name change does make sense, but that doesn't stop me from addressing him by his Japanese name out of being the most accustomed with it, since almost every Puyo fan who digs the series will most likely be more accustomed to that one too.

So I think the reason this series isn't popular outside Japan may have something to do with the fact that you need the mental precognition of some kind of fucking Dustin Hoffman rainman-savant in order to beat an "easy" level CPU. Seriously, how do actual human beings play this game? I'm going to keep trying though because I'm a bit of a masochist.

Turns out that Raffine has a new localized name:
C2JiM_4WEAAI_NU.jpg

Raffina does make sense, given that it's a direct transliteration of her japanese name, still, she will always be Raffine to me.

Upon some more snooping it seems Raffine might be ラフィン or Rafin in Japanese. So maybe it was meant to be Raffina all long? Rafin can also mean "laughin'" it seems and that does seem to be the more common translation... Hard to say if it her name is indeed meant to be the actual French word or a name derived from said word.

Last edited:
That's my assumption, I mean a transliteration is the most direct and accurate translation of anything that you can get, so Raffina would likely be the intented romanization, especially since it works as it is, unlike let's say, Aruru or Raganusu for instance.

Fever had some translation odditys when it comes to names as it is, like adding the Pixy in Onion Pixy out of nowhere (his japanese name is literally just Onion), the gloriously engrishy ''Prince of Ocean'' and the Rider/Riddel/Rita thing, so it's not too far fetched that Raffine was a similar case of there being some sort of error or odd change in romanization.

Last edited:
I feel like some romanized names may have originated during the localization process of the original Puyo Puyo Fever and kept for subsequent Japanese materials despite being wrong

I have another mystery and it is whether or not Arle and Satan's Chronicles models being derived in any way from the 3DS Hatsune Miku games.
8PVSRJK.jpg

It would certainly fit my previous theory of Chronicles' artstyle being influenced by this game.

It's certainly possible, I'm not sure whether or not the japanese Fever 1 had the romanizations in game, but I do know that Fever 2 did and that came out the same year as Fever 1's international release and the names are all the same, apart from changing ''Prince of Ocean'' to Ocean Prince. That in turn makes me wonder whether or not the Fever 2 characters were also settled in romanization like that.

As for the models I'm very certain that they were based off of the Project Diva alternate costume models, they are similar enough and I have a hard time believing that they didn't borrow assets whenever possible, since the SEGA Puyo games very obviously don't get the highest budgets, even if Chronicle was an improvement in that regard.

Something I just realized, in only a week did the english official Puyo twitter surpass the japanese one (around for almost three years) in followers, 1615 vs 1569, kinda funny that that's actually a thing.

On a different note I am still holding to my word of trying to get better at drawing, in fact my editing experiments recently gave me a bit more faith in my precison when working with a Laptop, so I figured I'd give digital drawing a shot:
attempt.JPG

And I am making good progress, given that I only just started, while it's still a bit rough I quickly came to appreciate how seemlessly you can tinker with any imperfections, especially since I have a very bad case of wanting certain things to be as accurate as can be.

And I am working with transparancy, because that's gonna be helpful for what I have planned.

Well, I still need to work on some rough patches, but for the most part it's done:
its okay i guess.png

I won't act like it's great and I will certainly work with more sophisticated coloring and finer linework in the fututre, but for a casual first attempt I'd say it's at least presentable.

Oh yeah and the choice of picture let me play with transparancy and layers, so there is even a practical reason behind it and not just a trashy one.

So it seems they sought out the Tetris license at least partially to be able to appeal to a wider audience. It's quite nice to see the Japan side to at least be sort of be concerned with non-Japanese fans.

CMV and I have been playing an online version of the game, its just the puzzle game itself, no story or characters. But Im definitely enjoying it : p Wanna pick up the gamecube version now, its apparently only 20$ for a brand new copy?

Turns out that Raffine has a new localized name:
C2JiM_4WEAAI_NU.jpg

Raffina does make sense, given that it's a direct transliteration of her japanese name, still, she will always be Raffine to me.

However you spell or pronounce her name it all feels the same to me, she the best one! Always choose her when playing these games sadly I've only ever tried emulating the games. With this new game coming up and if I can get a switch might check it out.

CMV and I have been playing an online version of the game, its just the puzzle game itself, no story or characters. But Im definitely enjoying it : p Wanna pick up the gamecube version now, its apparently only 20$ for a brand new copy?

Ahhh although I'm not totally new to this series ever since Magma introduced me to it, it is definitely a fun and unique puzzle game. That online one is also a good way to get used to it, still promised I'd play with Blanche on it anyways do enjoy will try to get that one too.

CMV and I have been playing an online version of the game

Yeah, and I must say, your puyo skills are quite lacking. You gotta take control of the puyo, don't let them control you. You need to think like the blobs. Drop like the blobs. Learn the ways of the puyo. But make no mistake, they know not what is best for them. You are a puyo shepherd, you must guide them to their proper cubbyholes. Only then will you attain true mastery over the gelatinous fiends. We've got a long way to go, but in time I think I can make something of you, kid.

Wanna pick up the gamecube version now, its apparently only 20$ for a brand new copy?

Yeah I bought it recently. It felt pretty surreal opening up a brand new sealed Gamecube game in 2017, let alone for such a cheap price.

I usually don't post about Puyo Quest, since I don't play it myself, but this did make me grin when I saw it today in the morning:
tumblr_okcit2MbPc1v39q72o1_1280.png

I only took em' 3 years, but Strange Klug finally has an alt!

To have a bit more of a constructive post, the Puyo Quest x Sonic Runners collab has entered it's second phase recently, with a Sonic themed story quest, so if you ever wanted to see Sanic translated into the Puyo artstyle:
Img222306_l.png

There yah go.

Back