Shantae Thread

Pirate Queen's Quest drops August 29th!
Aww yeeah!
And of course, It's totally free to all of us who backed the game too!

IMG_2651.PNG

Now that Pirate Queen's Quest is about to be released, I'd like to reflect on a rather important aspect (for me at least) of the games: the music. We can all agree that the music of the Shantae games is super catchy, fitting and just great in general. (But with Jake Kaufman as composer, this is pratically a given.) There developers have a tendency (not that I'm against this or anything) to ¨recycle¨ existing music, like how the Squid Baron fight in HGH is the Royal Sewers tune from Pirate's Curse. Another clever use of this is what have become known as ¨Bolo's Theme¨ and ¨Sky's Theme.¨ Some players that are new to the series don't even know that these were originally the Scuttle Town and Water Town theme, respectively. But of course that doesn't mean that the newer games don't have good music. The opposite is true: both Pirate's Curse and Half-Genie Hero have some solid music, (But in my opinion the music in Pirate's Curse is overall slightly better) and I hope that Pirate Queen's Quest has some new music added to its campaign. Of all the music in HGH this one is my favourite:

It's creepy. But also catchy. It's creetchy. Gotta love that little piano drop at 1:46.

Of the music from the first game, this one

is one of the few that hasn't been covered yet, and I'm sure it would be awesome if they did. It's the perfect theme for when your're exploring a creepy abandoned mine. When I was in the Golem Mine on my first playtrough I got lost in there and the music slowly started to drive me insane. Whenever I hear those opening notes I still think ¨oh shit.¨ But despite that I would still be incredibly glad if they included it in a future game, like how they managed to make a really awesome remix out of the first labyrinth theme in Pirate's Curse. And the fact that those notes from about 0:33-0:35 often sounded distorted on the GBC is also a good reason for this.

And I'm also hoping for this one:

It sounds so relaxing. Like walking around late at night and watching the stars... This could be the perfect theme for a solo scene where Shantae is relaxing outside her lighthouse, if they ever decided to make such a thing.

And finally, this one from Risky's Revenge:

It is called ¨Buy Something¨ but I associate the theme more with the Chef Girl. It has a bit of a warm, welcoming feeling to it.
So, in a nutshell, these are the themes that I like so much that I would like to see them making a comeback. If you guys have any, feel free to share. Also, I hope I didn't crash you computer with all those videos. :shantdance7:

Reactions: 607
Now that I'm here anyway, I'd like to share a little anecdote of something remarkable that happened to me just the other day:
I was in the waiting room of the dentist, reading some rather boring magazines about living room furnishing. One of the articles was about how specific colours can be used to create a certain style, and it was written that ¨Arabic styles tend to make use of warm colours, like red, purple, brown, and gold.¨ Of course I wasn't very interested in all that, but when I was about to turn the page I was like ¨Wait, did they just mention the very colours of Shantae's colour sheme? :SHuh: I was really dazzled for a moment. Truly strange.

Now that I'm here anyway, I'd like to share a little anecdote of something remarkable that happened to me just the other day:
I was in the waiting room of the dentist, reading some rather boring magazines about living room furnishing. One of the articles was about how specific colours can be used to create a certain style, and it was written that ¨Arabic styles tend to make use of warm colours, like red, purple, brown, and gold.¨ Of course I wasn't very interested in all that, but when I was about to turn the page I was like ¨Wait, did they just mention the very colours of Shantae's colour sheme? :SHuh: I was really dazzled for a moment. Truly strange.
Why would that be strange? Of course, her colour scheme wasn't just randomly generated. Surely, it was carefully picked.

Why would that be strange? Of course, her colour scheme wasn't just randomly generated. Surely, it was carefully picked.

I just thought it to be a strange coincidence that out of so many colours, these exact four were mentioned. But of course the designers didn't choose the colours randomly, so you may be right.

Reactions: 607
Here are some more Shantae headcanons that I developed over time:

• Shantae is actually much stronger than you'd expect from someone her age and physical build. (Much like Twitch and Vinegar, who don't look strong at all, but are still capable of lifting the 200kg or so Ammo Baron) but she prefers her hairwhip and transformations in combat.
  • The reason we don't hear a sonic bang everytime Shantae whips her hair is because she keeps her hair so incredibly smooth and soft that the noise is reduced to only a slight ¨flick¨ sound.
  • Risky mutinied against the Pirate Master because of abuse (Whether it be physical, mental, or sexual) by the latter.
  • This one is a bit of a joke and not meant to be taken seriously, but I sometimes see the Ammonian Army as the Nazi's of Sequin Land, with the Ammo Baron as the Fuhrer who wants nothing but war and conquest, Twitch and Vinegar as the loyal and hard-working warriors who don't really have a grudge against their enemies and are only in for the action, and Barracuda Joe as the average soldier who doesn't want war and is only serving his duty as private.

Since Jaun Schwartz doesn't frequent the fourms here as much anymore, I'll go ahead and share this.
http://nintendoeverything.com/shant...irate-queens-quest-friends-mode-costume-mode/
Shantae fans, we have the news you’ve been waiting for! The lovely hair-whipping, belly dancing half-genie is coming to the Nintendo Switch™ in the physical Shantae: Half-Genie Hero Ultimate Edition! Get ready to feel the beat as you jump, fight, and transform through this exciting adventure!

And she won’t be alone!

The Shantae: Half-Genie Hero Ultimate Edition will include the Pirate Queen’s Quest! Slide into bodacious buccaneer Risky Boots’ stylish footwear as you traverse Sequin Land in a brand-new storyline as the Queen of the Seven Seas!

Not only that, the Ultimate Edition will come with “Friends Mode” and “Costume Mode”! In Friends Mode, Shantae’s pals Sky, Bolo, and Rottytops must survive Shantae’s Nightmare and save their friend from doom, while Costume Mode provides three new arcade-style adventures; Dash, slash, and teleport as Ninja Shantae, work on your tan as Beach Shantae, or alter the level around you ‘Mighty Switch Force’ style as Officer Shantae!

Stay tuned for more details, including the release date, or you can also follow WayForward on Twitter at @WayForward and like their Facebook page to get all the latest news! https://www.facebook.com/WayForward/

The Switch is getting a physical copy of Half Genie Hero complete with all the DLC & Costumes
This combined with the portablity of the Switch pretty much makes this the definite version of the game.

While there's no release date yet, it's certainly a sweet deal all around for those who hadn't played Shantae: Half Genie Hero

I'll definitely pick this one when I can.
as I've been showing a bigger interest in the series overall.

Since Jaun Schwartz doesn't frequent the fourms here as much anymore, I'll go ahead and share this.
http://nintendoeverything.com/shant...irate-queens-quest-friends-mode-costume-mode/

The Switch is getting a physical copy of Half Genie Hero complete with all the DLC & Costumes
This combined with the portablity of the Switch pretty much makes this the definite version of the game.

While there's no release date yet, it's certainly a sweet deal all around for those who hadn't played Shantae: Half Genie Hero

I'll definitely pick this one when I can.
as I've been showing a bigger interest in the series overall.

Thanks TB!
Yes, for all of you who have a Switch and have yet to play Half-Genie Hero, this is gonna be the way to do it. The complete game (all DLC, all costumes, etc.) in one beautiful physical copy that will look great on your shelf. I'm not even getting paid to say this.

I haven't been around much recently so this is old news but I'm sharing it here anyway, the second HGH DLC, Friends to the End, has been announced and it looks incredible. Of course this is the Sky, Bolo, and Rotty stuff, but it contains a few surprises as well.

Here's the Kickstarter update about it....

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero/posts/2034571

I suppose my favorite thing about this is that it takes place in the dark confines of Shants' subconscious, which of course means the ultimate foe will be none other than the villainous Nega-Shantae! I think we were all a little bummed to see her great comeback go unfunded in the original campaign, so for this to feature her in a main role is outstanding and really brings the hype.

The Shantae: Half-Genie Hero hype train just keeps on chuggin'.

wind waker nega shant.jpg

Thanks TB!
Yes, for all of you who have a Switch and have yet to play Half-Genie Hero, this is gonna be the way to do it. The complete game (all DLC, all costumes, etc.) in one beautiful physical copy that will look great on your shelf. I'm not even getting paid to say this.

I haven't been around much recently so this is old news but I'm sharing it here anyway, the second HGH DLC, Friends to the End, has been announced and it looks incredible. Of course this is the Sky, Bolo, and Rotty stuff, but it contains a few surprises as well.

Here's the Kickstarter update about it....

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero/posts/2034571

I suppose my favorite thing about this is that it takes place in the dark confines of Shants' subconscious, which of course means the ultimate foe will be none other than the villainous Nega-Shantae! I think we were all a little bummed to see her great comeback go unfunded in the original campaign, so for this to feature her in a main role is outstanding and really brings the hype.

The Shantae: Half-Genie Hero hype train just keeps on chuggin'.

View attachment 5722

I knew about this for a while, but still thanks for sharing. I'm convinced that this will be without any doubt an awesome finale to the game that I've been hyped about for well over a year now. I wonder what Shantae's mind looks like when visualised, and also how Sky, Bolo and Rottytops sound like. BTW: There hasn't been a release date announced, right?

here's our super hype voice cast:

cdbe1e3fb0ebd12197f02247fe37cd1c_original.png

af2d024c9101fe387538add0f4e089f1_original.png

db1b5d8ba77103d906c6ed2fb2517790_original.png

This is, of course, the first time any character besides Shant and Risky truly speak, and the first non-Cristina Vee characters the series has ever had (Meagan Glaser in RR not withstanding). I think the choices are great and I can't wait to hear what they've got.

No, there is no release date yet. With any luck we'll have it by Christmas. (Hyped for Half-Genie Hero the second year in a row. Based Shants)

Also, Happy Thanksgiving!
happy holidays 2 cuteness bell.png

Last edited:
here's our super hype voice cast:

cdbe1e3fb0ebd12197f02247fe37cd1c_original.png

af2d024c9101fe387538add0f4e089f1_original.png

db1b5d8ba77103d906c6ed2fb2517790_original.png
That's exactly what I mean! Think about it: the very first time we hear not only Shantae, but also her friends speaking. And it's not by Christina Vee this time. (I'm not saying she's bad, I am just excited to hear other voice actors.)
The new artwork for each of the characters also looks stunning, but that's not that much of a surprise.

That's exactly what I mean! Think about it: the very first time we hear not only Shantae, but also her friends speaking. And it's not by Christina Vee this time. (I'm not saying she's bad, I am just excited to hear other voice actors.)
The new artwork for each of the characters also looks stunning, but that's not that much of a surprise.

Great choices, too. I had a feeling Nathan had his hat in this and I couldn't be happier to see him do it. And that goes for the others, too. Cristina spoke briefly about the new voice cast a few months ago and was super giddy about it. You just know they had so much fun recording this stuff. That's something I'd love to be a fly on the wall for, y'know?

adorable shant with squid.png

Now that this thread has been brought back to live (guess the reason:^) ) I'd like to have some discussion about a subject that can be summarised in a few words but isn't that easy to explain:

Why do you like the Shantae series?

For me, there are plenty of reasons, so I will just mention the ones that are (according to me) the most important.

• Great character design. We can all agree that Wario Land and WarioWare have great characters, enemies, bosses etc. can we? But IMO, the character design of the Shantae games can easily rival that of the Wario series.
Just look at this:

A zombie girl? Interesting, but I've seen much weirder in other games. A giant cyclops with a floating army? A bit strange, but still, I've seen much stranger bosses in Wario Land. But a pendulum clock, a fishbowl and a lizard guy in an aviator suit?WATthehell: Can't get any wackier than that.

• In a similar way, the surroundings. There are many games with deserts, waterfalls, forests and whatnot. But you seldom see these as beautiful as in the Shantae games. ('Cept for maybe Kirby.)
  • And also the fact that there is -despite the 12+ ratings- no swearing in the games. I have to admit that I can be pretty foul-mouthed myself especially IRL, and while I generally don't mind swearing in games, I'm still a bit glad that it doesn't occur in this series. The Shantae games are mostly light-hearted games, so any swearing added would almost certainly end up as feeling forced and being a lame attempt to appeal to older audiences.
  • Last but not least, the main character; Shantae herself. One of the most important points in creating a successful franchise is a likeable protagonist. For example, we like Wario because he is well... Wario. He might be greedy, rude and not the nicest guy around, but as Wario fans, that's exactly what we like about him. And while Shantae is in personality a complete opposite of Wario, we Shantae fans like her too for being who she is. Like I said, whether your protagonist is nice and good-natured, or rough and a bit rude, as long as he or she is likable enough to be a good protagonist, the game will be much more enjoyable. And in both Wario and Shantae, that is exactly the case, that's for sure.
One more thing: the Shantae fanbase may not be very large, but it's one of the most loyal and dedicated, don't you agree?

Back