Shantae Thread

That feel when you were supposed to be playing Half-Genie Hero by now...

walk_in_the_forest_by_omegasunburst-d6mnavq.jpg

Found this short documentary, or whatever its called about Shantae. While I have my doubt about some of what he says, it certaily changed my view on her.

N.B. Did some of you know this: When you select Shantae in the 3DS Virtual Console, push and hold start. The game will be playable in GBC resolution,
complete with a purple Gameboy Color around it.

I was on board with this guy until he suggested genie magic was an inherently "bad" thing -- the final battle of Pirate's Curse makes it clear there are distinct "light" and "dark" forms of magic. As far as Nega-Shantae goes, her evil can be easily explained by her being a mindless servant of Risky.

Too bad the return of Nega-Shantae stretch goal for HGH didn't get funded, this is an interesting topic to explore further

Last edited:
Wow imagine a male character with a design like that that'd be so awesome
I'll message Wayforward about it!

Matt Bozon spoke about that briefly in an interview for Half-Genie Hero, said it was a possibility.

shantae-half-genie-hero-key-art-shantae-risky-boots.png

Wait a minute... Huhwaht?: Risky Boots doesn't wear boots anymore?

Holy fuck I didn't even notice. I'm sure there's a plot reason for it...

Amazon Canada has changed their listing for Shantae: Half-Genie Hero to December and it looks like that's official. They're also sending out emails to customers with the same info. Here in the states, Amazon still shows the release date as Nov. 1st.

A lady like Shantae is worth waiting for. Looks like this is the home stretch.

lean wit it shant wit it.jpg

She's lucky she's so damn cute.

Attachments

• DELAYED.png
    DELAYED.png
    106.3 KB · Views: 449
Last edited:
I'm sure there's a plot reason for it...

This got me thinking... Could it be possible that Risky Boots is a half-Genie, just like Shantae?

I say this because I was reading the manual for the first game (you can download it in PDF format for free) and in it was this: ¨Like many half-Genies, Shantae has a few magical quirks¨
However, ¨many¨ is not the same as ¨all¨. So there are also half-Genies without magical powers? My theory is that Risky Boots resorted to piracy and joined the Pirate Master's crew because she has no powers.

But that's just a theory.

This got me thinking... Could it be possible that Risky Boots is a half-Genie, just like Shantae?

I say this because I was reading the manual for the first game (you can download it in PDF format for free) and in it was this: ¨Like many half-Genies, Shantae has a few magical quirks¨
However, ¨many¨ is not the same as ¨all¨. So there are also half-Genies without magical powers? My theory is that Risky Boots resorted to piracy and joined the Pirate Master's crew because she has no powers.

But that's just a theory.

And an interesting one. Risky's origin is a constant topic of speculation--some even think Risky herself is Shantae's mother (due mainly to her comment to Shants at the end of Pirate's Curse). While I highly doubt that, the prospect of her having a genie origin is a lot more believable. Pirate's Curse gave us a a lot of character development and shed light on many characters' backstories, No doubt HGH will get us at least a little closer to getting the big picture.

1456105425033.png

M. Bozon didnt respond to my message yet smh

Shit. Well, he's a busy guy right now. They're in the home-stretch for Half-Genie Hero so I could imagine it's utter chaos over at WayForward. If you get nothing you may want to try again after the game drops, when things are far less hectic.

He's really a cool, nice guy.

I hope they bring the dance parlor back. If not in HGH, than at some point in the future. That was awesome, and adorable. Everything about the dancing mechanic is, really. Glad to see it make a return (as much as I love the pirate gear). It's her thing! It makes her happy!

And we want her to be happy, cause we love her.

Just a reminder, Shantae and the Pirate's Curse has just been re-released in physical form for 3DS. The highlight of this version (besides it being a physical game you can proudly display on your shelf right next to the empty space reserved for the Shantae amiibo) is the fact that it includes an extended version of Shantae NAB!, which was, of course, Shantae's big debut in WarioWare.

If you haven't played it yet, this looks to be the definitive version. You owe it to yourself to play one of the most delightful games ever made. It's considered by many to be the best Shantae game, and in a lot of ways it is.

For those of us who have played it, well, looks like we're playing it again. Gotta get warmed up for Half-Genie Hero anyway.

spc_001.png

Last edited:
This is awesome

You can turn on the English subtitles, they are (thank heavens) not auto-generated.

Yes, I just watched this the other day! It was delightful. So cute.

It seems to have reinvigorated Matt into wanting to do an animated series again as well, if twitter is any indication. I've said it before and I'll say it again, not many video game series would work as a TV show, but Shantae would absolutely be perfect for it. (and not just because it's my favorite, lol.)

Just as long as Cristina Vee does her voice!

1460080674590.png

Back