Shantae Thread

Yeah that's nice and all, but IMO non-cutified Squid Baron is already cute enough.

Here's to my all-time favourite fourth wall-breaking video game squid!

He's a loveable scamp isn't he?

1472931441238.jpg

if not a bit of a pain in the ass

well...she's got her reasons. The first time he ever met her he pulled a 'dine and dash' on her and generally continues to to be a thorn in her hip.

HOWEVER she does seem to care for his well being too, on more than one occasion.

cause she's Shant and she's got a big ol' heart.

1451047590521.jpg

Although here's a deleted alternate scene of that encounter, where she gets really mean:

Yes, that's so true. They have some kind of love-hate relationship, a bit like Shantae also has with Twitch and Vinegar; they fight each other, but they aren't sworn enemies. The Squid Baron may be a bit eccentric, doesn't mean any harm. In fact, Squid Baron is the only of the Barons that is not a true enemy of Shantae. The Squid Baron helped Shantae in Risky's Revenge, and Shantae tried to cheer up a dispirited Squid Baron in Pirate's Curse, proving that, in the end, they really care for each other.

And the winner is... [drum roll] Rottytops!
TBH I already expected this, but I'm actually surprised that Bolo isn't the least voted character. Apparently, he is more popular than I thought him to be.

And the winner is... [drum roll] Rottytops!
TBH I already expected this, but I'm actually surprised that Bolo isn't the least voted character. Apparently, he is more popular than I thought him to be.

It was obviously gonna be Risky or Rotty.

and I'm kinda surprised, too. Bolo generally doesn't place high on these things....

but he's endearing, in his own way. The series certainly wouldn't be the same without him.

1460949946195.png

After more than a year, it will come to an end. Let that sink in for a moment. :wah:
Can I start looking forward to an entirely new installment? Too bad, I already do! :shantrun:

Last edited:
After more than a year, it will come to an end. Let that sink in for a moment. :wah:
Can I start looking forward to an entirely new installment? Too bad, I already do! :shantrun:

Indeed...the past few years we've had the great pleasure of continuously anticipating a new Shantae game (or DLC) on the horizon. Now we've gotta sit back and wait for the next all-new installment.

I'll take ShaeShae any way I can get her, and a new game in the style of the previous ones would of course be wonderful, but another part of me really, really wants a full 3D Shantae platformer. There's been something of a comeback for 3D platformers recently, thanks to Super Mario Odyssey, A Hat in Time, Yooka-Laylee and others. Shants' adventures in the 3rd dimension would certainly be something to behold.

But either way, we'll see. Shantae is more popular now than she's ever been, so a new game is all but guaranteed (feels nice to say that! We know that hasn't always been the case.)
:shantspin:
the_world_of_shantae_by_inkwell_pony-d6okpzs.jpg

but another part of me really, really wants a full 3D Shantae platformer.

A full 3-D platformer will be awesome, but personally I'm more hoping that, someday, WayForward will make a completely remastered version of a game that sadly never even saw the light of day: Shantae: Risky Revolution.
Sure, the days of the GBA have long been gone, and some of its plot has been ¨recycled¨ into Risky's Revenge, but I think there's still enough left, like those dungeons based on the four seasons or the 4-player battle, to make an interesting game out of it. But upgrading the graphics to 3D or HD may be what keeps them form doing it.

I won't be getting it.

I don't get this. Did you type what you wanted to say?

Yeah. What's confusing? "all but guaranteed" means "very nearly, or almost guaranteed". It's an expression.

That feels nice to say, because, due to her relative obscurity, we haven't always been guaranteed a new Shantae title. Now, because she is much more popular, we are far more likely to get one.

Seems pretty straightforward to me m8.
HGHthink.png

You may know of my original stance on getting the game on Switch. And I still think it's not worth getting a Switch over if you have something else to play the game on...but my stance has lightened somewhat, and for one reason.

The Switch cartdrige has the DLC pre-loaded, right? Say the Wii U or PSN servers go down one day, and go down for good, this ensures the DLC will have some lease on life after they go down.

Well, plus, I own a Switch. I'm not going to make getting this a priority, oh no. I have the game on PS4, so it's not something to be in a hurry to snag. But I might get it down the line if I feel I can afford it and I find nothing else of interest.

That feels nice to say, because, due to her relative obscurity, we haven't always been guaranteed a new Shantae title. Now, because she is much more popular, we are far more likely to get one.

That's what I've been thinking too. You see, not that long ago, say a few years back when Pirate's Curse wasn't released yet, the Shantae series was still pretty obscure, and its future uncertain. But now it is more popular than ever. We even got merch for crying out loud. And what to think of all those guest appearances she's had in other games?

I don't get this. Did you type what you wanted to say?

Have to admit, I didn't get it when I first read it either. :Sheadsmack:

Am I the only one who thinks it's rather depressing seeing how brutally Risky's healthy respect of Shantae in the ending of Pirate's Curse was shattered in 1/2 Genie Hero? Of course, it was to be expected that Risky wouldn't give up the pirate's life (she even said that herself in the end of Pirate's Curse). But damn, her evilness in HGH has to be a new lowest point; now she even has no problems with destroying the Genie Realm and consequently murdering one of Shantae's most loved persons, and one of the few remaining relatives she still has. Luckily for Shantae she was able to prevent her from doing this, but only just.

Until now I've always considered Risky to be the Shantae series equivalent of Captain Syrup, but after I had this realisation, I no longer do.

Am I the only one who thinks it's rather depressing seeing how brutally Risky's healthy respect of Shantae in the ending of Pirate's Curse was shattered in 1/2 Genie Hero? Of course, it was to be expected that Risky wouldn't give up the pirate's life (she even said that herself in the end of Pirate's Curse). But damn, her evilness in HGH has to be a new lowest point; now she even has no problems with destroying the Genie Realm and consequently murdering one of Shantae's most loved persons, and one of the few remaining relatives she still has. Luckily for Shantae she was able to prevent her from doing this, but only just.

Until now I've always considered Risky to be the Shantae series equivalent of Captain Syrup, but after I had this realisation, I no longer do.

Nope. She's still the same Risky. She told Shant that at the time. Just because she allied with a lesser enemy to destroy a greater one, and therefore professed a bit of respect for her for it, doesn't mean she won't come back to destroy that same enemy at first available opportunity. She may possess a bit of honor, but an enemy is an enemy to someone like Risky, and there's no reason to believe she won't come back worse than ever. And sure enough, she did.

Personally, I'm glad for it. Some people seemed to think that Risky was now some sort of "good guy" or "edgy anti-hero" following Pirate's Curse, which was lame. She's the villain, and they didn't pull their punches on reinforcing that in Half-Genie Hero.

bestest_buddies_by_howlsinthedistance-dasiqmb.png

Some people seemed to think that Risky was now some sort of "good guy" or "edgy anti-hero" following Pirate's Curse, which was lame. She's the villain

Maybe I may sound like one of these too, but I'm not like these people: I never expected Risky to become a good guy or even an anti-villain. She has always been evil, and will probably always be. But what I did expect though, was that Risky would be a more respectful villain from Pirate's Curse onward. A bit like Bowser: the arch-enemy of the protagonist in red, but never actually wanting to kill his enemy, even when he is able to. But instead she seemed (to me at least) to have crossed what TV Tropes would call a Moral Event Horizon. There's a bit of irony in how, in Risky's Revenge, Shantae says that putting her friends against each other is low and sick. Little does she know what Risky will commit far worse atrocities, to her and others, in the future.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MoralEventHorizon

Some people seemed to think that
Believe me, that's not even the most stupid thing people thought about Risky Boots. Apparently there are people out there who think that Risky has some kind of romantical or sexual interest in Shantae. Yes, really. Because threating to rip you apart, attacking your hometown, kidnapping your uncle, turning your friends against each other, stealing your magic powers, making an evil clone of your very soul and attempting to kill your family is a sign of true love, right?
Seriously, I haven't heard that much BS since that one Gaijin Goombah vid. seriously?:
upload_2018-1-12_23-31-17.jpeg

Maybe I may sound like one of these too, but I'm not like these people: I never expected Risky to become a good guy or even an anti-villain. She has always been evil, and will probably always be. But what I did expect though, was that Risky would be a more respectful villain from Pirate's Curse onward. A bit like Bowser: the arch-enemy of the protagonist in red, but never actually wanting to kill his enemy, even when he is able to. But instead she seemed (to me at least) to have crossed what TV Tropes would call a Moral Event Horizon. There's a bit of irony in how, in Risky's Revenge, Shantae says that putting her friends against each other is low and sick. Little does she know what Risky will commit far worse atrocities, to her and others, in the future.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MoralEventHorizon

Believe me, that's not even the most stupid thing people thought about Risky Boots. Apparently there are people out there who think that Risky has some kind of romantical or sexual interest in Shantae. Yes, really. Because threating to rip you apart, attacking your hometown, kidnapping your uncle, turning your friends against each other, stealing your magic powers, making an evil clone of your very soul and attempting to kill your family is a sign of true love, right?
Seriously, I haven't heard that much BS since that one Gaijin Goombah vid. seriously?:
View attachment 6079

I love Shantae, it's my favorite series and she's my favorite character. But because of garbage like this and other stupid shit I am not a part of any sort of Shantae "fandom" or "community" outside of Wayforward's own backer forum. Well, and this very thread I suppose.
Shantae is a special thing to me and I don't need it tainted by weirdos and idiots.

fuck Gaijin Goomba.

fx_cine_shantae_pose_4.png

Back