Share your latest acquisitions!

Carrot, I can't think of an interesting poll.

• Yes.

• No.

• Perhaps?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Guys. While searching for this thread using Wario Forums's and Google's search functions, I finally saw that I typo'ed the title ('acquistions'). Why did no one report it? D:

That said, I went to another market last Sunday, this time in Heerenveen: my parental town! I took my 13-year old brother with me, and he bought Super Mario Land 2 with part of his birthday money. :)
My goals for the day were a Mario classic for DS - I had New Super Mario Bros. and Mario Kart DS in mind, preferably the former - and interesting, cheaper games for Game Boy systems.
And I was very successful!
Oe7uJhZ.jpg

I actually got New Super Mario Bros. for much cheaper than expected: when I came across the first copy I saw at this market, I looked at the price tag and read €45. I was rather surprised, which the seller noticed, and he asked me what was up. I told him that it said €45, while it's regularly €25. "Oh sorry, I don't use price tags, as I prefer talking with people". Turns out it was an old price tag, left over from when it was originally sold. :P He explained he based the price on how nice he thought people were, and apparently he considered me nice enough, as he offered me it for only €15. :sgrin:
When my brother and I left the market, we gave him our lottery tickets (there's often a lottery at the end at these events, to make people stay longer), which confused him a little, but when he realised it was only good as it gave him a higher chance to win he called after us to say thanks. :P
UNO and Brother Bear we found in one of the organiser's stalls, which all had a 20% discount and were right at the beginning of the market. That's clever, but I feel like I should maybe rather have waited a bit and buy off individual sellers, as now we didn't even look through half of the stands, as we got what we wanted fairly quickly, and it was quite a large event (although not as large as the one in Zwolle Weario and I went to last year...).
I found The Lion King at a stand where everything was €5; I guess the guy didn't want to bother pricing things. :P But I thought it was a good price, and The Lion King is a great game on SNES, so I thought it'd be fun to have it on Game Boy, also because I know the movie and soundtrack rather well.

Now for the reviews: New Super Mario Bros. is great, of course. I have beat World 1 so far, and am not 100%ing it right away. I am going for the star coins, but if I miss any, I don't mind. I might try to get into world 3 and 7 right away, though. It still seems strange to make the regular route skip entire worlds. :SHuh:
Brother Bear: developed by Vicarious Visions. I know them from Over The Hedge, which is a great GBA game (but I have yet to find and buy it, as the one I've got is bootleg). So far this one is very nice as well, although not as remarkable as Over The Hedge. :) I don't know the movie itself, although my two best male high school friends both love it.
UNO: it works well, and there are some customisation options available. Some of the rules are different from what I'm used to, though, and they are not configurable (the one that bothers me most is that you can't counter a +2 with another +2 or a +4 with another +4...). The animations are good, and fortunately you can turn them off, as they take the speed out of gameplay. The music is unfortunately mediocre. But hey, I wasn't expecting this to be a great game: I bought it because I thought it was unique, and indeed it is, as it seems to be the only UNO video game ever released.
The Lion King: disappointing. xD Simba's animations were nicely ported, and the music is good, but that's about it. The gameplay is very finicky, and in the first level there are already strange tiling issues. If the SNES version wasn't hard enough for you: this one certainly should be. :P But although it doesn't play great, I will probably continue playing it now and then, as it is a nice challenge, and the game does seem to be consistent. That is, some jumps won't work, but if you remember that they don't work, and find another place to jump that does work, that place will work every time. So it's a lot of trial & error, but it is playable.

Well... that took much, much longer to write than intended... but it was kind of fun, I hope you enjoyed as well. :)

Guys. While searching for this thread using Wario Forums's and Google's search functions, I finally saw that I typo'ed the title ('acquistions'). Why did no one report it? D:

That said, I went to another market last Sunday, this time in Heerenveen: my parental town! I took my 13-year old brother with me, and he bought Super Mario Land 2 with part of his birthday money. :)
My goals for the day were a Mario classic for DS - I had New Super Mario Bros. and Mario Kart DS in mind, preferably the former - and interesting, cheaper games for Game Boy systems.
And I was very successful!
Oe7uJhZ.jpg

I actually got New Super Mario Bros. for much cheaper than expected: when I came across the first copy I saw at this market, I looked at the price tag and read €45. I was rather surprised, which the seller noticed, and he asked me what was up. I told him that it said €45, while it's regularly €25. "Oh sorry, I don't use price tags, as I prefer talking with people". Turns out it was an old price tag, left over from when it was originally sold. :P He explained he based the price on how nice he thought people were, and apparently he considered me nice enough, as he offered me it for only €15. :sgrin:
When my brother and I left the market, we gave him our lottery tickets (there's often a lottery at the end at these events, to make people stay longer), which confused him a little, but when he realised it was only good as it gave him a higher chance to win he called after us to say thanks. :P
UNO and Brother Bear we found in one of the organiser's stalls, which all had a 20% discount and were right at the beginning of the market. That's clever, but I feel like I should maybe rather have waited a bit and buy off individual sellers, as now we didn't even look through half of the stands, as we got what we wanted fairly quickly, and it was quite a large event (although not as large as the one in Zwolle Weario and I went to last year...).
I found The Lion King at a stand where everything was €5; I guess the guy didn't want to bother pricing things. :P But I thought it was a good price, and The Lion King is a great game on SNES, so I thought it'd be fun to have it on Game Boy, also because I know the movie and soundtrack rather well.

Now for the reviews: New Super Mario Bros. is great, of course. I have beat World 1 so far, and am not 100%ing it right away. I am going for the star coins, but if I miss any, I don't mind. I might try to get into world 3 and 7 right away, though. It still seems strange to make the regular route skip entire worlds. :SHuh:
Brother Bear: developed by Vicarious Visions. I know them from Over The Hedge, which is a great GBA game (but I have yet to find and buy it, as the one I've got is bootleg). So far this one is very nice as well, although not as remarkable as Over The Hedge. :) I don't know the movie itself, although my two best male high school friends both love it.
UNO: it works well, and there are some customisation options available. Some of the rules are different from what I'm used to, though, and they are not configurable (the one that bothers me most is that you can't counter a +2 with another +2 or a +4 with another +4...). The animations are good, and fortunately you can turn them off, as they take the speed out of gameplay. The music is unfortunately mediocre. But hey, I wasn't expecting this to be a great game: I bought it because I thought it was unique, and indeed it is, as it seems to be the only UNO video game ever released.
The Lion King: disappointing. xD Simba's animations were nicely ported, and the music is good, but that's about it. The gameplay is very finicky, and in the first level there are already strange tiling issues. If the SNES version wasn't hard enough for you: this one certainly should be. :P But although it doesn't play great, I will probably continue playing it now and then, as it is a nice challenge, and the game does seem to be consistent. That is, some jumps won't work, but if you remember that they don't work, and find another place to jump that does work, that place will work every time. So it's a lot of trial & error, but it is playable.

Well... that took much, much longer to write than intended... but it was kind of fun, I hope you enjoyed as well. :)

Nice games to add to your collection. NSMB is a very good game, although it may be a bit too easy compared to the Wii sequel.
I didn't know UNO had a game for the Gameboy Color.
Mario Kart DS is also a must-have for Mario Kart fans. It was the MK game I grew up with, and at the time was unbeatable at.

By the way, I didn't notice the typo at all, nor do I think other people did. ¨Acquisition¨ isn't exactly a word that your hear a lot. I really hate writing words with cq in them, as I almost always spell them wrong, and there's really not need for that c in such words. I remember writing an essay about Macquarie Island once, and I had to correct almost every instance of that name in the text. Talk about frustrating.

• Haha
Reactions: 607
Nice games to add to your collection. NSMB is a very good game, although it may be a bit too easy compared to the Wii sequel.
I didn't know UNO had a game for the Gameboy Color.
Mario Kart DS is also a must-have for Mario Kart fans. It was the MK game I grew up with, and at the time was unbeatable at.

By the way, I didn't notice the typo at all, nor do I think other people did. ¨Acquisition¨ isn't exactly a word that your hear a lot. I really hate writing words with cq in them, as I almost always spell them wrong, and there's really not need for that c in such words. I remember writing an essay about Macquarie Island once, and I had to correct almost every instance of that name in the text. Talk about frustrating.
Thanks for the comments on the games!
Maybe you should've just left it as Maquarie and just doing a Find and Replace at the end. ;) Although I do recognise having to continually correct something and not wanting to leave it for later... when I wrote about Oliver Twist, I kept typing 'Mr Brownlog' instead of 'Mr Brownlow'. It was funny, but also became quite tiring when I kept having to correct it. :P

Thanks for the comments on the games!
Maybe you should've just left it as Maquarie and just doing a Find and Replace at the end. ;) Although I do recognise having to continually correct something and not wanting to leave it for later... when I wrote about Oliver Twist, I kept typing 'Mr Brownlog' instead of 'Mr Brownlow'. It was funny, but also became quite tiring when I kept having to correct it. :P

Yeah, in hindsight, I just should've chosen another island. Maybe Campbell Island. I still have a picture of it as wallpaper.

When the family was together for Christmas, I got the rest of my uncle's GBA games. When he gave them to me before, he was missing 5. It looks like I didn't take a picture, and I don't feel like taking one now, but they are: Mario Vs. Donkey Kong, Donald Duck Advance, Rayman 10th Anniversary Edition, Tom and Jerry's Infernal Escape and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

I got MediEvil 2 (need to go scouting for a manual+jewel case at some point), Legendary Stafy on the DS, and Gold, as some of you may know, as well as a black cart copy of II, and uhhh that color mod for Mario Land 2 that features Luigi.
I also got Tak 2 the Staff of Dreams on GBA (I wanted to see if it was as terrible as I remember. TBH, it actually seems okay, but it's very clear that the developers made a game out of how much they could do with as sparsely documented a mission briefing as possible), and Lights Camera Pants for GBA as well (this one I remember quite fondly, actually, although I disliked that it looped back to the first mission after you beat the game).

I actually got a ton of games this xmas too.

I got hybrid heaven and wwf no mercy for n64, two copies of tales of vesperia (accident) for 360, tales of the abyss for ps2, and red dead redemption, fallout 3, and risen for 360.

I recently bought myself an orange GameCube, since that was my "dream console." And it's even more beautiful in person. I gotta get a picture of it to post here.
AWWWW don't make me drool like that nigga :salivating:

In the future, when my SP with the finicky power switch+LED finally keels over, I'm thinkin' about gettin' me an orange AGB-001 that's modded to have a backlight, and eventually, an orange GameCube to go with it, similar to yourself.
I can just see it now... myself playing Waaaaaario World... forgetting where the Mirror Mansion cyan treasure is again...

That reminds me of some trivia I discovered the other day. BRB, gonna post that in that thread.

AWWWW don't make me drool like that nigga :salivating:

In the future, when my SP with the finicky power switch+LED finally keels over, I'm thinkin' about gettin' me an orange AGB-001 that's modded to have a backlight, and eventually, an orange GameCube to go with it, similar to yourself.
I can just see it now... myself playing Waaaaaario World... forgetting where the Mirror Mansion cyan treasure is again...

That reminds me of some trivia I discovered the other day. BRB, gonna post that in that thread.
Do it! That will look really cool! It's a really beautiful shade of orange, and I wish they'd use it more today.

IMG_0040.JPG

When it comes to the Switch I'm currently dedicated to picking up games I'm interested in, but didn't get at launch, made it convenient when I happened to see TWEWY at my local electronics store, when I initially wasn't even thinking of picking up a game today at first.

I picked up a game the other day called bladestorm: the hundred year war for 360 for cheap. I saw the name and thought it was gonna be some shovel ware game, like the name is kinda lame : p Then I saw the subtitle and realized it was about France and England.

Its hard to explain the gameplay, its kinda like dynasty warriors, except your character does not attack. You pick a unit to lead and depending on the troop type, have a few different special attacks you can use. And the gameplay revolves around leading your unit to capture enemy bases/defending your own bases.

Anywho, its super fun. Im really enjoying it. I like that youre an independent mercenary too, so that you can choose which side to fight on whenever you want.

But yeah, its really fun. I wish I knew of other games like this.

So I got two very unique games this week...

If you are subscribed to insaneintherainmusic, you'll know what introduced me to this game. ;)

GMi5ORp.jpg

It's really fun!! For the first two days after getting it I was at my parental home, so I played with my brother and sister, which was very enjoyable. But it's a really fun game on your own too! There are dozens of songs, and I could spend half an hour playing just one, rerecording each part until I'm happy with it. There are also lessons included, which actually teach you about different musical styles! I'd totally recommend this game to anyone who has a Wii, is into music and doesn't mind motion controls. ;) It's very cheap on eBay, at least in Europe.

Then the other 'game' I got is actually not available in Europe, so it was a bit hard for me to get it... I was going for a 2-in-1 cartridge at first, but every time it appeared on eBay it was too expensive with sending fees as large as the price itself on top of it. So then I got this one, which is more common!
aSyhvQV.jpg

I was also introduced to this series by a YouTuber, but this time from my recommended section instead of my subscriptions. In case you didn't know about it: it is what it looks like, the Shark Tale movie on GBA! (there's also Shrek, and some tv shows)
ah1j0it.jpg

It actually works really well, I watched the first 15 minutes yesterday and actually quite got into the movie! The framerate is very low, which is a problem on action scenes, but there aren't that many. The image quality is actually pretty good, and the sound quality is very good. The music doesn't come across very well, but the voices are quite clear.
Here's a photo of when I first turned it on and accidentally used the 'chapter select' function, which transported me to one of the best parts in the movie. :sgrin:
oXOHlcO.jpg

So yeah, cool stuff!
Come Sunday there is a retro video game fair/market in Apeldoorn, the Netherlands, whither I will be going.
@Psaiko/@356 might also be coming. :sgrin:

Back