ShoutBox Problems

tumblr_inline_n21bux3g7J1rl5dg1.png
Funny, most of our newer members rarely use the forum, they only use the ShoutBox. So I see how the Shoutbox is killing activity here on the forums. Good idea, but moving the shoutbox somewhere else isn't going to really work. I'm not sure how it will go, having it on another site I mean. On one hand, it could mean a bit more activity here so newer members are't very attached to it at first.

Let them learn about a chat box later, when they got comfy using the forum.

Sometimes you'd be surprised how much of an impact something so subtle as making something slightly more inconvenient have on people. My idea is that, if the ShoutBox were its own external thing, the inconvenience of having to go back and forth would make it less likely for things on the ShoutBox-successsor to spill over on the forums.

These forums won't grow until something Wario related gets annouced. all it's going to be is just talking about the same shit until Nintendo offically says something.
It's what happened to the Sonic forums during the Sonic Drought, and actually some members do come mainly for the shoutbox. (LuigiRocks and Dan come to mind.)
Sure there's the General Boards, but the Shoutbox allows for more personal talk between members, allowing actual relationships to develop, without it, the MK group that i've created would had not been as fun as it is.
or the little roleplaying games wouldn't had happened. because of one thing, Real time conversation. talking to people in the shoutbox is like talking to actual people. and you can't have that with profile posts or threads, and plus it'll be a neat thing to have during the Switch event or any live events, Using it for live chat and stuff. i know i'm gonna get a bunch of dislikes, Dumb, and disagree ratings for this, but i'm sticking to my guns, and i will fight for the shoutbox.

Would anyone else want to chime in as to what they think is causing this?

On a different note relating to possible solutions, I think the ShoutBox is too much trouble for the forums and as such I propose one possible solution. I know some people enjoy it and I would not want them to lose that privilege.
I also would like people to pay close attention to these parts of my OP. If you're for the ShoutBox then please try to develop a compromise.

@TB100 While that's all fine and good, the over-prominence of the ShoutBox has the added affect of hurting the community by excluding people who can't use the ShoutBox either due to work or an entirely different timezone. As such all the attention that can go into other boards that any person can see, all that attention goes to the ShoutBox which only helps a couple people and stagnates the community.

These forums won't grow until something Wario related gets annouced. all it's going to be is just talking about the same shit until Nintendo offically says something.
It's what happened to the Sonic forums during the Sonic Drought, and actually some members do come mainly for the shoutbox. (LuigiRocks and Dan come to mind.)
Sure there's the General Boards, but the Shoutbox allows for more personal talk between members, allowing actual relationships to develop, without it, the MK group that i've created would had not been as fun as it is.
or the little roleplaying games wouldn't had happened. because of one thing, Real time conversation. talking to people in the shoutbox is like talking to actual people. and you can't have that with profile posts or threads, and plus it'll be a neat thing to have during the Switch event or any live events, Using it for live chat and stuff. i know i'm gonna get a bunch of dislikes, Dumb, and disagree ratings for this, but i'm sticking to my guns, and i will fight for the shoutbox.
And you know what? I agree. Like I said before, there are some great people who I've met and developed friendships with because of the shoutbox. But it also causes loads of problems for the forums, mostly distracting members from actual discussion (you know, the whole point of the forum), creating rivalries, drama, fights, etc.

So I think the negatives outweigh the positives here. All my opinion, of course.

not really a serious idea, but why not charge a small bit of coins (like 2 per line) to post on the shoutbox, and then of course you can earn coins easy by contributing to the forums. of course it might not do much except upset a few people, so i dunno.

yeah, i think the shoutbox became too integral to the forums. it should be supplementing the forums, not stealing its thunder. though i still like the shoutbox. but just the fact that people are starting to get a little testy over it is concerning.

okay, I'm not online that often so I barely use the shoutbox and am therefore unaware of the problems it causes, but it's clear that some people don't want it removed. so I kind of have an idea. might sound dumb but hear me out. why not make it so that the shoutbox isn't available 24/7? like, for example, what if the shoutbox was only available on weekends? remove it during the week and put it back during weekends? or is that too much trouble? I don't know. because this way, people who use the shoutbox can still enjoy it and people who don't like it can enjoy using the forums without it getting in the way. yay or nay?

also, I agree that it should be moved to the bottom of the page rather than having it on top.

I almost feel like the ShoutBox has become its own distinct thing with its own distinct community somewhat separate from the rest of the WarioForums community. While I'm not suggesting people should leave or anything like that, I feel like it could hypothetically stand on its own and doesn't need the WarioForums rub. On the flip side, for the rest of the community, the ShoutBox is definitely not giving anything back.

It was just one of those things CM30 introduces out of nowhere. It might've been a past suggestion but I don't think anyone was ever really pushing for it.

Of course it would be Magma the one who's saying all of this. Seriously dude, this is unacceptable! The shoutbox is just as important as any other part of the forum. Ok, maybe the only thing I will agree somewhat with you on Magma, is the fact that maybe the rest of the forum is less active than it has been in the past. Who gives a fuck if that's how it is? If you don't like the change then maybe YOU are the one who shouldn't be here, simple as that. We don't want any negative shit or fighting going on, that doesn't solve anything whatsoever. And if there is fighting, bickering or other stupid shit going on in the shoutbox, I'll definitely put my helping hand in to solve or take care of it, no need to completely get rid of the shoutbox. What good would that do? I really want to know. The shoutbox is the sole way I talk to all of my friends here, and maybe some of you have a problem with that, I don't. I personally think your just taking this way out of context. You are NOT taking this one aspect of the forums away, NOBODY is. Leave the shoutbox alone and go take your useless bickering somewhere else. We don't want shit like that here. God damn, I've got enough personal life shit to worry about and now I come on to the forums to see this? What in the fuck is going on here? Seriously, this is not cool.

Now that I look back on this, ok maybe it was way overboard, I was just speaking my mind folks. Don't take this personally, my post here is just an opinion. Not meaning to pick on Magma specifically. This whole forum post is useless anyways.

Last edited:
i mean, on a big site, a chat thing would be good for isolating the so called noise and the more serious discussion. but were not a big site with a broad topic :p i really dont know.

Of course it would be Magma the one who's saying all of this. Seriously dude, this is unacceptable! The shoutbox is just as important as any other part of the forum. Ok, maybe the only thing I will agree somewhat with you on Magma, is the fact that maybe the rest of the forum is less active than it has been in the past. Who gives a fuck if that's how it is? If you don't like the change then maybe YOU are the one who shouldn't be here, simple as that. We don't want any negative shit or fighting going on, that doesn't solve anything whatsoever. And if there is fighting, bickering or other stupid shit going on in the shoutbox, I'll definitely put my helping hand in to solve or take care of it, no need to completely get rid of the shoutbox. What good would that do? I really want to know. The shoutbox is the sole way I talk to all of my friends here, and maybe some of you have a problem with that, I don't. I personally think your just taking this way out of context. You are NOT taking this one aspect of the forums away, NOBODY is. Leave the shoutbox alone and go take your useless bickering somewhere else. We don't want shit like that here. God damn, I've got enough personal life shit to worry about and now I come on to the forums to see this? What in the fuck is going on here? Seriously, this is not cool.
whoa nelly

09a-Annoyed-Sonic.png

Listen Weeg, you're awesome and all, but insulting and pointing fingers at someone is not the best way to handle this.

i personally dont think magma wants to start a fight. id like to keep the shoutbox, but we need to incentivise people to discuss things on the forums itself too

Sorry TB, I've just a lot of things going on and when I come on here to see THIS....I just can't hold it on. I'm sorry Magma, let's not start anything ok? The shoutbox is a good place to be. Nobody wants to see the shoutbox get taken away. It's part of the forum.

And you see, if you guys can't accept the fact that this is a FORUM and not a chat box, then maybe it should be YOU that should leave the FORUM. I really hate to be the one who has to say this and be the "bad guy", but it's not like any of you ever did much for this place to begin with. Most of the time it's just a shit posting mayhem and if you can't deal with the fact that people want this place to be like what it once was, a forum, then you should be the one leaving to another place. I hate being like this, but I'm not going to stand for this sort of stupidity because you guys can't handle not having a damn chat box.

Let me make it clear again that this is meant to be a discussion. I don't have any power or leverage over whether or not the ShoutBox gets removed. The health of the forums has long been one of my priorites. While ShoutBox users have been enjoying lots of vitality that hasn't been leaving much for other users who should not have to be left out. It's also been the source of a lot of problems involving tension that I have unwittingly demonstrated by even bringing this up in the first place.

Hex, no reason to start anything ok? I was just giving my own two cents on this whole topic....yeah ok it was a little overboard but I was just letting you all know what I think. As I said above, the shoutbox is just as important as anything else here on the forum. Why would you guys want to take it away?

Back