ShoutBox Problems

Okay insulting and calling people names is not how we should do this, it doesn't matter whatever we're against it or not, we should have a peaceful discussion or else it's gonna get locked.
So let's settle down. also Magma, i thought about your statement a little more and i understand it better now, you don't want to completely remove it, you just want to make it not such a big part of the forum like it currently is now,
Makes sense. but as i said before, and this is going to everyone (Especially to LuigiRocks and Hex Scout) insulting and and pointing fingers at anyone IS NOT ACCEPTABLE in any way shape or form so let's try to keep things mostly calm. or else this thread runs the risk of getting locked. with nothing being accomplished.

Last edited:
*sigh* Look the title was just a follow up to a similar thread I made before. My actual suggestion was to move the ShoutBox or somehow reduce the prominence of the ShoutBox. Yes the ShoutBox has been a very good thing, for you, but how about you try seeing it from the perspective of people who either don't enjoy the dynamic of a live chat or simply can't be there. There isn't much left for them is there. And also, by even bringing this issue up look at how much fighting has been happening.

I mean, yeah you are right Pigmask....its not like shoutbox was part of the forum to begin with but I know I am not the only one who really likes the shoutbox. Who all here has gotten tons of enjoyment from the shoutbox in the last month or so? Anyone can say otherwise. Yes, I'll agree it's not the main part of the forum, its still part of it. Its one of the "organs" of the forum, you get what I mean?

Please mind my language as I am not trying to be derogatory, but I almost feel like the ShoutBox is almost a sort of former-parasite as it has thrived off of what's left of the forums and is now its own thing as most of the newer members are here mostly just for the ShoutBox.

Magma, I apologize for my outburst. I'm sorry I reacted the way I did, I've got other things going on that I need to worry about...just seeing this whole thing start kinda set me off. So my bad, don't take what I said personally.

I mean, yeah you are right Pigmask....its not like shoutbox was part of the forum to begin with but I know I am not the only one who really likes the shoutbox. Who all here has gotten tons of enjoyment from the shoutbox in the last month or so? Anyone can say otherwise. Yes, I'll agree it's not the main part of the forum, its still part of it. Its one of the "organs" of the forum, you get what I mean?
Look, you're a great guy. I really do care about you. But this is the exact problem; new members who come only for the shoutbox and nothing else. You couldn't give a hoot less about the actual forums because that's not what you're interested in. But this is a forum, and it most certainly comes first over the shoutbox which you can't deny has only created tension for everyone and garnered too much attention. Not to mention many more people care about the well being of the forums than the shoutbox.

How do you solve this dilemma? Like Magma said, some sort of compromise would work, no removal necessary. Perhaps move it to it's own site or server, maybe use one of those popular chat room sites like Discord.

So that's what I have to say on the matter.

*sigh* Look the title was just a follow up to a similar thread I made before. My actual suggestion was to move the ShoutBox or somehow reduce the prominence of the ShoutBox. Yes the ShoutBox has been a very good thing, for you, but how about you try seeing it from the perspective of people who either don't enjoy the dynamic of a live chat or simply can't be there. There isn't much left for them is there. And also, by even bringing this issue up look at how much fighting has been happening.
Like i said before, calling your title *Remove the Shoutbox* is not really a good way to have a peaceful thread. because the title alone would cause massive confilct between people. even if the OP suggests otherwise, maybe Reduce the Shoutbox or Move the Shoutbox would had made things less confusing and cause less fighting overall.

Like i said before, calling your title *Remove the Shoutbox* is not really a good way to have a peaceful thread. because the title alone would cause massive confilct between people. even if the OP suggests otherwise, maybe Reduce the Shoutbox or Move the Shoutbox would had made things less confusing and cause less fighting overall.
Done and yes at what @Pigmask Colonel said.

With even bringing this issue up it's become obvious that the ShoutBox has essentially spawned a separate distinct though not mutually exclusive community from the rest of the forums.

Look, you're a great guy. I really do care about you. But this is the exact problem; new members who come only for the shoutbox and nothing else. You couldn't give a hoot less about the actual forums because that's not what you're interested in. But this is a forum, and it most certainly comes first over the shoutbox which you can't deny has only created tension for everyone and garnered too much attention. Not to mention many more people care about the well being of the forums than the shoutbox.

How do you solve this dilemma? Like Magma said, some sort of compromise would work, no removal necessary. Perhaps move it to it's own site or server, maybe use one of those popular chat room sites like Discord.

So that's what I have to say on the matter.

Wow, I really wasn't expecting this from you. We're such good friends man. Do you really think I'm only here because of the shoutbox? I've made 2 posts/discussions since I've joined. Yes, its not that much I know but I don't ONLY come here just for the shoutbox. That was a little harsh, wasn't it?

my hot takes

On activity: The shoutbox has been into the activity of the "Random" and "Social" thread, I suppose to an extent, but I don't see that as a problem. People are going to use a platform better suited for shitty small talk for shitty small talk and I see any suggestion to "move it to the bottom" or "make it less prominent" as aimless arm flailing that's not adressing anything worth adressing. And if your concern is the "appearance of activity" and the "long term health of the forum" lmao: people aren't signing on here for small talk over all the massively popular and mainstream avenues for online small talk.

Ultimately, if you want people to post on the forum, you have to make interesting long-form discussions that can't conformtably happen in a live setting. The people who "only sign up for the shoutbox and don't use the forum as God intended" aren't going to be coerced into posting in the forum- they're just going to not post. You can't force people to post.

On drama: There's been a lot of drama involving the box, and I understand none of it. But is the box causing drama, or is the immediacy of it accentuating existing disputes? My money's on the later

I 'member before the shoutbox started, I'd see the "goofy post" and "social thread" explode every 50 pages or so (what the hell was going on with that アシュリー person? lmao), or I'd see Magma and Metal make a profile post telling Kyon to stop sending meatpuppt after them or something. I didn't understand the drama explosions back then and I don't understand them now.

The shoutbox does have a pretty big disadvantage, and it's the lack of effective moderation tools. By CM30's own words, there's no moderation tool or add-ons for it, so the most obvious things to do when soemeone does something upsetting is to either ignore them until they leave or scream at them until they leave. Unfortunately, the denizen of Wario Forums have shown themselves to far prefer the later.

... but I see this is a pretty weak factor, considering the two moderators here have shown themselves reluctant to use their mud power and have let intra-personal drama escalate to insane degrees over long periods of time. I don,t see lack of moderating as that big of factor when there already isn' much moderatin' going on.

Ultimately, I think of all this is secondary: it's a people problem. It really does seem this joint has a lot of pressure cookers and easily bruised nerves, and if the tension between them don't erupt over a caty live chat post, they will over weeks, or months. And I don't have a satisfying answer to that.

From the perspective of someone who used the Shoutbox maybe four times tops and hasn't witnessed any of the drama apart from the hentai incident himself, I can say that even I have felt the effects of it, usually with users venting out their frustrations in profile posts. Back when that first happened I hoped it would be the exception, but instead it became the rule and seeing people break down or turn their backs towards the site because of that is all sorts of uncomfortable.

One part that has affected me and my stay here more directly is the rapid decrease in activity apart from Shoutbox chit chat. Even back when interest in Wario related dicussion started to decrease here you could still get a bit of a discussion going, not nearly as much as in the first two years here, but still good enough for me and those who weren't interested in that got what they wanted from the General Chat or General Gaming.
It was around November when I really started to feel changes here, with many members outright disappearing into the Shoutbox, the General Chat declining massivly and attempts at Wario discussion were essentially the equivalent of shouting against a wall. It was outright baffling how deserted this place could feel since then and it honestly took a lot of motivation out of me to try and come up with stuff to say, since it usually was a futile effort or at best short lived, hence why you mostly only see me in the Puyo Puyo thread nowadays. For the longest time I thought that all of that was hyperbole on my end, but these past days have done a lot to affirm me that that's not the case and I find that very worrying.

I won't say much about future directions, simply because I don't feel qualified to do so, but the fact that even I as someone who does not give a toss about the Shoutbox has felt and noticed the toxic effects it had on the site and community should say a lot.

Last edited:
I feel the shoutbox didn't help things any. If anything, it made what was already becoming, in my eyes, become even more of one.

The more I look around, the more I'm convinced it isn't just me. Heck, another forum I used to go on had its shoutbox temporarily removed because of such issues; the mods had to be convinced it was worth keeping around.

And even then, they put in rules basically designed to keep it somewhag organized. Dunno how effective it was, really.

I would like to continue this conversation at some point but for now it's best to let things cool down after people misinterpreted/blew out of proportion what I meant and approach this more calmly since this still isn't finished.

Back