Guess where I was at tonight

So yeah, anywho, the concert was fun. Kinda different than I expected too. When the show first started, I was kinda staring a bit too much at the bassist, who Im a big fan of. And like at one point our eyes met, and he made kinda an awkward face, and it made me feel self conscious, so I spent the rest of the night trying to not look at him too much, which I kinda regret now :p

Also alot of the people there were taller than me, so it was hard to see around peoples heads. But it was still great! My friends and I really enjoyed the show!

I took a couple of pictures, but like the room was crowded, and people were always bumping into you, so like NONE of my pictures came out at all. And I took a few videos, but I had to zoom in so theyre blurry, and like I said about people bumping into me, so the camera is CRAZY wobbly. And my phonw didnt pick up the sound very well :( I may post them on youtube with like (LOW QUALITY) in the title so people dont complain so much, but I dunno if Im even gonna do that atm.

But other than that, the show waa great and they sounded amazing! I was even jumping up and down and singig along, which Id never do normally :p

It's time for the second edition of Big Thoughts with Big Ma(g)ma.

With nostalgia always being a powerful driving force and with us living in an era where it's pretty easy to find anything from the past, I wonder if we'll be living in an era of like constant revivals of past stuff. We've already been seeing like throwbacks to 80s and 90s and I just wonder how much this sort of stuff will accelerate. Not only that but there will also be people whose childhoods will coincidence with these like 80s and 90s revivals which is pretty crazy. Growing up in this current era and its fixation with past eras. Will our obsession with the past continue or will we eventually break into something different?

With nostalgia always being a powerful driving force and with us living in an era where it's pretty easy to find anything from the past, I wonder if we'll be living in an era of like constant revivals of past stuff. We've already been seeing like throwbacks to 80s and 90s and I just wonder how much this sort of stuff will accelerate. Not only that but there will also be people whose childhoods will coincidence with these like 80s and 90s revivals which is pretty crazy. Growing up in this current era and its fixation with past eras. Will our obsession with the past continue or will we eventually break into something different?

Humans have always had a certain fascination with the past and a longing for earlier times, mostly because of being somewhat dissatisfied with current trends of whatever period the person lives in. It's only the time period that is the subject of the nostalgic feelings that changes over time: In the Middle Ages and Renaissance, the Classical Age was the subject, in the Victorian Era, the Middle Ages were the nostalgia subject, and during the Great Depression, the late Victorian era and pre-WW1 20th century were on its turn what people looked back at. And in the 70's, it was the 50's. In the 90's, it was the Hippie Age.
And nowadays, the 80's are the main nostalgia source. (This is especially the case when it comes to video games. Just how many retro-styled video games have been made in the past 7 years or so?)
You see, in every period of history, people have looked at a certain previous period with a romanticised and optimistic view. However, because of the sheer quantity of media we have today, the nostalic ages tend to become more diverse and overlapping. This is a not a bad thing however, as it provides something to enjoy for everyone: Steampunk, Phantasy, classic Sci-Fi, etc. Of course, most of this is with a heavy dose of fantasy and fiction, but you can still recognise the time periods these genres and fandoms are based on.

Honestly, media that brings back the past isn't incompatible with media that tries something new or evolves its mediums. I mean, look at the gaming world right now. On the one hand, you could say Nintendo is obsessed with nostalgia, with every new game dripping with references to previous installments in the series and marketing galore focused on the old days and bringing back familiar faces and elements. Mario has certainly been bringing back every enemy, boss and character seen in the series for one thing.

(like the Koopalings, Boom Boom, Reznor, power ups like the Tanooki Suit and Racoon Leaf, Chargin' Chucks, the Angry Sun, Pauline, the Superball Flower etc).

Yet it still tries new things. Super Mario Odyssey is filled with new characters and ideas.

So the old and new can coexist.

Still, maybe you wanted completely new and original, not continuations of existing franchises (though the idea of old franchises continuing forever has basically been a thing for as long as art has existed).

In that case, that still happened. We've still got ARMS and Splatoon from Nintendo. And loads of other new franchises from other companies big and small. What point do you want examples for? Gravity Falls or Steven Universe or what not not? Five Nights at Freddy's? Minecraft? Maybe something like A Hat in Time?

We'll always see revivals, that's been a part of fiction forever. But we'll see new stuff that blows up and becomes its own world changing franchise with millions of fans too, just like we always have.

Oh I'm aware that people have always looked to the past nor am I saying that any of this is bad hence why I didn't post this in the Rant section. I'm just asking how you guys think all of this will progress since now it's all happening faster and more frequently than before due to technology.

If there's one thing that brings most languages together, it would be exclaiming "noooooo!!", especially in an online game where things are clunky and you get in a situation where it's hard to avoid the impending disaster you've come to expect is heading your way. (The longer it takes to escape, the longer the "nooo".) English, Spanish, Italian, and I expect French and Portuguese (as well not to mention many other languages which have probably adopted some English into their vernacular, like Japanese)

Yeah, pretty much.

Still, if Nintendo makes one for the Nintendo Switch, I'm sure everyone's interest will shoot right back up again. Especially if it's Wario Land 6 or what not...

it's crazy to think that we had passenger planes before we had refrigerators (iceboxes don't count). we could fucking fly before we could keep stuff cold indefinitely
bootlegwaa.png

it's crazy to think that we had passenger planes before we had refrigerators (iceboxes don't count). we could fucking fly before we could keep stuff cold indefinitely View attachment 11289

Well, there were industrial fridges from the 1890's onward, a whole decade before the first airplane flight in 1903. It's just that it took a long time before refridgerators were avaible for household use.

It's the same with electric lighting: the first electric lighting were arc lights that came into use in about the 1860's to illuminate factory halls, but since they were very bright and had a rather short lifetime, it wasn't until the introduction of the light bulb in the early 1880's that smaller buildings were being lit electrically, and electric lighting truly took off.

In practice, which do you respect more: when people wear their heart on their sleeve, or when they're so nonreactive to the point of being enigmatic :unsure:

Back