[Fan Content] Super Wario Land [Fan-game]

So, got any idea what the HUD will be like? The beta video one is obviously a bit of a placeholder, at least I'm assuming it is.
Haven't started on the HUD yet, yeah.

I'm hoping that Wario's abilaties stay close to what they were in the Wario Land games.
Seeing Wario simply jump on enemies, without a ground pound, to kill them, feels pretty weird, even kind of out of character... Wario is known for Shoulder Bashing, Ground Pounding and Lifting enemies, he's not Jump Man...
We're trying to make it as fluid as possible. Adding many kill-methods is one step towards that. I understand that it's not very Wario-like, but it's just more accessible. Throwing enemies before killing them can get annoying.

And if you really think that having to ground pound enemies to kill them would be too cumbersome, you could potentially have the ground pound work as it did with Bull Wario in the first game, where it doesn't change his momentum and starts up the moment you press down, so that you would still have full aerial control while being able to choose between stunning and killing an enemy. I personally don't think a fast-falling downwards ground pound would be awkward for the purpose, but if you think so, this is another option.

Yeah, the Ground Pound, as well as Shoulder Bash and Lifting Enemies was what gave Wario personality, made the games different from Mario, made them something new.

Not only that, but with these mechanics Wario can jump on enemies to stun them, which we are all very much used to doing, as well as jumping of enemies to get a height boost, which is always fun.

It looks like a flash game I'd have played when I was seven. As much as it gives me good memories the game looks like any other Mario based Fan-game I've seen.

I could compared it to the game "Super Mario 63" on an old website I used to go on, as I recall it was a pretty fun game. So, despite how weird the game looks, maybe it'll play out great. Wait and see I guess.

It looks like a flash game I'd have played when I was seven. As much as it gives me good memories the game looks like any other Mario based Fan-game I've seen.

I could compared it to the game "Super Mario 63" on an old website I used to go on, as I recall it was a pretty fun game. So, despite how weird the game looks, maybe it'll play out great. Wait and see I guess.

Keep in mind it's an early tech demo with no real HUD, no level design, no level tileset and no background. The actual one will look a lot more polished and interesting.

Exactly what CM30 said. Considering we made most of the stuff in those video in like 2-3 weeks, it's fine. Still needs polishing and the level used in the little prototype thing isn't actually in the final game.

Dang, you beat me to the Wario Fan Game Party D: Oh well, it looks great, so I wish you all luck!
Also, do you have anything to say about power-ups or the likes? As those are pretty important as well.

As for the Ground Pound, Shoulder Bash, Picking up Enemies shenanigans, I agree. Wario Land has always been a slower paced game (with things like puzzles, no run button, etc.) Were you to take away those elements, this game wouldn't be a Wario Land Game, it would be more of a "Super Wario Bros." game, being like a Mario Bros. game (Fast Paced) in a Wario Skin.

Here's a random idea I came up with this morning.

You guys should have a few throwback levels, being nods to the memorable level in the classic Wario Land games.

The levels would be remakes of the origional levels, having upgraded graphics, high quality remakes of the origional levels music, and perhaps the design of the levels could be changed a bit to fit with the gameplay of your game (wl2 treasure minigame, wl3 keys/chests/music coins could be replaced with whatever collectables you will have in your game, maybe some enemies being changed).

I would really enjoy seeing a few nostalgic levels somewhere in the game

Examples of possible throwback levels:
Throwback Garden = Return The Hen To Her Nest
Throwback Express = Stop That Train! (In Town version)
Throwback Forest = Out Of The Woods (at night)
Throwback Village = The Peaceful Village (at day)

I really like this idea! We actually had something similar planned, but it wasn't related to Wario Land. Interesting.

You guys really should consider this.
Althought, as much as I would love to see a bunch of throwbacks, it's best not to overdo it, and with a number of normal levels being around 12, like you sayd, I'd say the best number of throwbacks would be 2. Having 4 out of 16 levels (25% of the game) being throwbacks is a bit to much.
But if the number of normal levels grows, perhaps a few more throwback levels could be added.

Back