The Mega Man series

A problem I have with adaptations of these sorts is that it has more of a fanfiction feel with all these new original characters and choices that don't necessarily add anything to the story and just feel like they were done for the sake of it or because the writer can(like Dr. Light having a love interest).

A problem I have with adaptations of these sorts is that it has more of a fanfiction feel with all these new original characters and choices that don't necessarily add anything to the story and just feel like they were done for the sake of it or because the writer can(like Dr. Light having a love interest).
I can't speak much about Archie's side of things but I give Ariga more slack in that regard because the content of his stories holds up better than Archie.

Ariga respins the classic series game stories to fit a large story without needing to add new characters or irrelevant fluff. He strictly works within the canon of the classic series and doesn't need a new OC to spice things up. Archie adds new characters, has fanboysim wet dream crossovers with Sonic the Hedgehog, and the writing is subpar that only shines strong when they throw in an unexpected gag found in the western side of media.

I'm familiar with both to a degree and I can say that maybe it's just preference but I find that approach of reinvisioning a series to fit a narrative better as you've said to be a much better approach than well, most of what you've described already. Aside from working better with the story it all feels more cohesive.

I'm going to be a devil's advocate and say Mega Man 1 is my favorite game in the series. 2 is excellent but I find it extremely overrated by the internet. Powered Up is also another favorite of mine, both for the content of the game and the bad voice acting.

I've only had the chance to play X 1-3 and Battle Network 1-3. They're good games as well, but the classic series holds a special place in my heart.

3's and 4's soundtracks are fantastic. 5 is also one of my favorites. I haven't had the chance to play the Game Boy ones sadly.

I'm going to be a devil's advocate and say Mega Man 1 is my favorite game in the series. 2 is excellent but I find it extremely overrated by the internet. Powered Up is also another favorite of mine, both for the content of the game and the bad voice acting.

I've only had the chance to play X 1-3 and Battle Network 1-3. They're good games as well, but the classic series holds a special place in my heart.

Megaman 1 was like the daddy to the entire series even if many people don't care for it I'm happy some one appreciates that game that started it all. MM2 did well to materialize and worked on what kind of problems MM1 had. Powered Up is a fun little remake of the first ones and it was cool that you got to play as rms themselves in that game.

If you ever get a chance and this can go out for anyone interested in this franchise as well should definitely try out some of the other series like MMZ, personally liked MMZ2 and MMZ4. X series if you should definitely try out MMX4~X6 fantastic music especially Rainy Turtloids' theme in MMX6

Of the classic series my favorites are 3 and 4 and I also love love love IV and V on the GB.

3 and 4 definitely big favs here, really love the more mellow tone mm4's music had especially the Cossack and Wily stages in them.

Other fav games in the franchises would be again as mentioned MM3,4 as well as MM8

Battle Network1 and 2, Megaman X1, X4, and X5. Definitely liked playing MMZX Advent.

I've played all the GB classic games. Wily's Revenge is average, II was pretty bad, III is solid, IV is probably my favorite of the bunch, V is also really good.
Three tracks from IV that I really like

You know it's quite interesting to hear that Tokusatsu was one of the big inspirations to Megaman. Infact a lot of Megaman villains and Megaman himself remind me of characters from said era. Especially the Darkmen in MM5 who pretty much act and look similarly to another Tokusatsu Villain named Hakaider from Android Kikaider.

MM5DarkManGroup.png
Hakaider_Squad.jpg

There's also some other references thrown here and there through out the series from various super hero related things from Japan not just Tokusatsu. Things like Casshern another android who fights to keep peace by going after other renegade robots also has qualities that Megaman as a character and the series holds dear as well as robotic dog companions.

RushMM7.jpg
cashern-tvc2.jpg

Some of these are also mentioned in the article but can't stress them enough since Megaman was sort of the reason I became a fan of all of these old shows especially Kamen Rider and Android Kikaider both of which were made by Shotaro Ishinomori who also created Zelda comics for Nintendo.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=6650

Casshern is also another series very similar to Megaman I'll give a link out for all who's interested.

http://myanimelist.net/anime/4810/Shinzou_Ningen_Casshern?q=casshern

Last edited:

I never looked into all of the influences that made Mega Man what it is, but I always found it weird that people really only listed Astro Boy as an influence and nothing else.

It seems like a lot of people like to sweep the topic of Mega Man's creation under the rug, kind of like how Inafune is credited as the creator when Kitamura already had the concepts created and is one of many collaborators for the creation. It's a shame because this interview really gives the series even more depth.

I never looked into all of the influences that made Mega Man what it is, but I always found it weird that people really only listed Astro Boy as an influence and nothing else.

It seems like a lot of people like to sweep the topic of Mega Man's creation under the rug, kind of like how Inafune is credited as the creator when Kitamura already had the concepts created and is one of many collaborators for the creation. It's a shame because this interview really gives the series even more depth.

One thing I could say as to why people only credit Astro Boy is because how anime and even now is more of a niche thing. Certainly the whole genre of Tokusatsu, Metal Heroes, and Anime especially during the time of Astro Boy which people were obsessed over space or robot related things such as Gundam, Tetsujin-28, Ultraman, Kamen Rider, etc.

While Astro Boy may have some connections with Megaman as both are robotic kids or children trying to both live in a world of peace while maintaining just in the world I would say personality wise Megaman/Rockman is more Jiro from Android Kikaider and from a stand point X too shares similarities with him as well, I'll leave a link to him here.

http://myanimelist.net/character/4124/Jiro

It is definitely unfortunate that Kitamura isn't heavily as talked as he should be considering this indepth interview you posted was a fantastic read, Megaman is one of the two series I hold dear to me as it was one of my biggest gaming influence growing up alongside Castlevania.

Here is another very influencial mangaka at the time as well who has made a mecha series(http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=1100) which also inspired many other things and even in games. His name is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go_Nagai

At the time as well Mecha series were gaining popularity at the time with it's futuristic look on space and machinery as well, although a bit of extra trivia but there is even a reference to Mazinger Z in Megaman specifically the boss in Megaman 6 called Metonger Z.

Last edited:
I was a Genesis kid growing up and didn't get the chance to experience Mega Man then, but the older I get the more I appreciate it and wish I could've played it when I was younger. Even just playing other series around that the time 1-6 were being released there really wasn't anything like Mega Man out there. Given the knowledge you've provided I can see why even clearer now.

I'll have to look into what you've linked more extensively. It'll be interesting to see what parts inspired Mega Man while other parts were left out.

We were slaves to the Sonic curse in my house.

I've always wanted to make a serious attempt at Wily Wars. The transition from NES to the Genesis for the games was decent Iirc.

Back