tahutoa:

• Waa

Votes: 11 61.1%
  • Naa

Votes: 7 38.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Not bad, but something about the notes clash. I'm not knowledgeable enough yet to tell how, it could either be the Mode for the two songs go against each other. The chorus and the bridge probably sound the best with this in mind, but even then there are still a couple places where they don't quite mesh. It's certainly a good idea. As for ways to improve it, I'd suggest mapping out all the chords for both Kraid and P.U.K., then make adjustments to Kraid's notation so the counterpoint still works.
Just from hearing it, it sounds like the progressions will end up being different chords that happen to use a lot of the same notes (like how an A minor 7 chord uses the same notes as a C6 chord (ACEG & CEGA, respectively), but the notes that are different will throw things out of wack.

Hey man, I don't really know you too well or who you are or what this thread is for, but i like your music!

what this thread is for
It used to be an isolation chamber for containing my rampant autism, because I couldn't shut up and it was pissing people off. Now that I've cooled down considerably, the kind of activity seen is both less frequent & less volatile. My thread is kind of like the formation of a rock-based planet in this regard. Also like the beginnings of a planet, besides being part of its history, the first several pages of posts don't really have any substance and aren't much to look at.
Hey man, I don't really know you too well or who you are
I am tawhotoi. I am known for giving WL4 soundfont covers some amount of relevance after I was dissatisfied with the lack of said waarrangements in the world. Before I threw my hat into the ring I think the number of waarangements fitting this description was probably less than 20. As a side effect of increasing this number to over 300, I kind of semi-typecast myself into this role of "Epic Wario Man."
One of my tracks I was really tempted to delete for a while a couple years ago because its sheer popularity dwarfed how much I actually cared for it. however unlike a number of first-generation Undertale remix artists I refused to let that bother me. I still kind of resent the notion, but there isn't much point to that anymore because it's unlikely to change. I am the "Epic Wario Man" because that's what I've done and will continue to do. It's one of the sound sets I adore using the most.

PLUS. 5 people come to mind that have come forth to tell me how they are doing or want to do the same thing: MarioSpore, Xander Martin, Shawnster1, and most recently EnriCooler on SoundCloud. The first one is now on an equal skill level to me with instrumentation, and the last one showed the same amount of promise MS did before him, and I before him. It makes a mole proud. Soooo, in other words there's no reason for me to regret my role as Wario Man (especially since for the most part I still hold the majority share in this market, ack ack ack :penguinbeer:)
In addition to Wario stuff, I'm also the guy who made the SuperSponge soundfont.
I've also done .sf2's for Mario Party 2, 3D Maze Man, Insaniquarium Deluxe, & Best Friends (the PC freeware game that SpongeBob 3D Obstacle Odyssey was lifted from), to name most of them. It's kind of annoying that I can't think of anything else I might be notorious for that doesn't also involve Wario ,:T, but whatever.
do you see why i had to be contained in this thread. i used to go off on text wall tangents like this all the time. and usually on the front page, because i selfishly wanted people to engage with my dumb surface-level thoughts. It's reaally embarrassing in hindsight arjeharahjrg. also as you can see i still have a problem with oversharing with total strangers. sry bou' da'.
but i like your music!
: ))) thanks!! :8bitwariodance:

So recently I regained some interest in watching videos about NES audio, and also decided to listen to the entire OSTs of all Shantae games, both because of nostalgia, though it actually ended up with me realising just how much my life has deteriorated over the past six years. This made me think: some of the soundchip techniques mentioned in these videos also seem to occur in the OST of Shantae, at least I think so.

I have no special programme or anything else to assist me except for a decent pair of ears and slow-down mode of Youtube's video player, so I'm far from sure about these, but if you want to provide commentary on the following, it would be appreciated.

Does the "plucky" sound effect (attacking with a certain duty cycle, then rapidly switching to another) that's explained in this

video also occur in the main lead of the Credits theme from the first Shantae game?
Here's the music I'm talking about, from about 39 seconds in:

It definitely has a sound that's meant to represent a string instrument being plucked -though I don't know which one- and when slowed down to 0.25x I can definitely hear the individual notes having two components, but whether this is a true example of the abovely mentioned effect, I'm not sure.

Another interesting effect that might be present in the game's OST, in the first Dungeon theme, is the single-channel echo, as explained here:

Now we've already discussed this effect when I presumed it occurred in Hot Head Bop and Hornet Hole from Donkey Kong Land 2, and Museum from Game & Watch Gallery 3, in which you were able confirm the effect's existence in these three tracks, but I'm a lot less certain about the Dungeon track from Shantae having it, so please take a listen for yourself. I'm referring to the loop of notes that starts right at the beginning and coninues from there:

This one is arguably the hardest to determine with just one's bare hearing, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were actually true.

Now that we're at it anyway, is the "plucky" sound effect also featured in this 8-bit cover of the Yoshi's Island Castle theme? (It's 0:36 I'm referring to)

And do you have an idea as to why the NES' smallest time unit in audio is 1/60 second instead of, say, 1/24 second (the length of a single frame) or 1/64 second (would be more logical from a programming POV, as powers of 8 reqire less memory)

Back