Wario Land 3; My Thoughts on the Game!

Personally I like Wario Land 3 more then two. I feel like this game took the whole "Can't die" idea from Wario Land 2 and really improved upon it. I found the bosses more interesting then the ones in two and Rudy the Clown was a good attempt at creating another enemy for Wario to face(sadly Nintendo seemes to have forgotten about poor Rudy after Dr. Mario 64)

Plus this game give us Vampire Wario though I wish that more had been done with him since other then his bat form his other form is useless.

Personally I like Wario Land 3 more then two. I feel like this game took the whole "Can't die" idea from Wario Land 2 and really improved upon it. I found the bosses more interesting then the ones in two and Rudy the Clown was a good attempt at creating another enemy for Wario to face(sadly Nintendo seemes to have forgotten about poor Rudy after Dr. Mario 64)

Plus this game give us Vampire Wario though I wish that more had been done with him since other then his bat form his other form is useless.
His other form is fun though. I like that you can change, as opposed to Wario Land 4's just being bat.

Land 3 is my favorite of the entire Wario platforming series. I loved the concept of opening new places in each level as you got more treasures, the day/night system was really cool and added more flavor to each location, and I especially liked that Wario was (almost) invincible, and getting hit didn't even make you lose coins. I like to get hit by enemies on purpose because it's funny, and the idea of Wario being so strong that he doesn't take any damage from enemies makes me think that his only opponent is his greed. :p

Reactions: 607
I liked Wario Land 3, but not as much as 2. Mostly because of the whole "Bag of Spilling" thing where abilities were lost in the beginning, which would have made sense had the previous game not had those abilities from the very start. Heck, I remember trying to use those abilities, only to find that he had to regain them.

That said, it's still a good game, and it has many moments of greatness. The level designs are wonderful, and the final boss was quite challenging.

However, if someone were to ask me whether to play 2 or 3 first, I'd say play 3 first, then 2, mostly so that their reflexes aren't screwed with quite as much.

Yeah, the golf mini game was a curious choice as far as game design is concerned. Doesn't really seem to fit in any of the levels or settings.

So yeah, returned to this game for a bit a few days or so ago. Some updates:

Have now beaten all the normal bosses, meaning I'm about to fight Rudy the Clown for the first time. Not sure whether I should beat him now and then return for the extra treasures/100% ending later, or get the treasures now and just fight him once for 100% completion.

The idea of the penultimate boss being in the first level was an interesting one. Who'd ever think that Out of the Woods was going to hold the last music box?

On another note, I somehow completely forgot to get the blue key before fighting the spider boss, so I had to go back and get it. Fortunately, he doesn't respawn when you do this, which is useful enough. Weirdly, I recall some of the other bosses (I think the Hammer Doll) respawning if you didn't get the treasure chest, so it's strange how this one doesn't...

The levels I played were (apart from the boss level):

Castle of Illusions
Above the Clouds
The West/East Crater
I think the Cave of Flames

So my thoughts on them? Well, the guy who said the spike maze in Castle of Illusions was annoying... yeah, you were right. What an obnoxious section of the game, what with the loose owl controls and what not. For the music coin, I said 'screw it' and just use the 3DS save state like feature on the thing. Not wasting time on something that's basically both optional and requires being 100% precise with no mistakes whatsoever.

There were also some annoying jumping sections in one of the crater levels. Again, these were obnoxious, because they felt so, so out of place for a Wario Land game. Look at this stuff:

TWC4.PNG

You can't die, but... this isn't Mario. Precision jumps is not something I particularly welcome in the Wario Land series. Especially not ones so pixel perfect you'd only expect them in a ROM hack.

Above the Clouds... well, I conquered it. But I don't like the design much. The puzzle where you have to keep going between two rooms accessed by doors on different sides of the level... wasn't really that fun, and felt like padding to me. Like a springboard or p switch 'puzzle' in a Mario ROM hack. It's not hard, just repetitive.

Oh, and the door to the left... that's really badly positioned to be honest. If you come out said door, you're forced to make a leap of faith down to a platform that may or may not be solid when you reach it. That's not really good design in my opinion, even if it doesn't cause you to die for obvious reasons.

And Castle of Illusions... well, that was a fun level bar the aforementioned spike maze section. A tad more confusing that I'd expect (if only because I forgot to drop down to the right to reach the bit with a Snow Bear and some breakable blocks), but fun. Name reminds me of that Mickey Mouse game on the Mega Drive, although I doubt it's intentional.

The game doesn't have post-completion gameplay (it defaults to the last save before Rudy), if that's any help.

I know, but I recall reading a guide somewhere that said if you beat Rudy without all treasures, you can't face him again til you have them. Is that enough reason to fight him twice, or not?

1) if you don't fight Rudy, you won't be able to use the temple to find out where to go
2) When a boss is killed, it does not respawn until you exit the level. Your memory must have been foggy
3) Those jumps in the crater were an interesting challange to me. As long as you duck jump, it's really not that hard

1) if you don't fight Rudy, you won't be able to use the temple to find out where to go
2) When a boss is killed, it does not respawn until you exit the level. Your memory must have been foggy
3) Those jumps in the crater were an interesting challange to me. As long as you duck jump, it's really not that hard

Thanks for clearing these up.

1. This probably isn't a big deal then, since hearing where to go at the temple is... well, not 100% necessary.

2. Thanks for this. Probably got confused when I entered a level again and returned to a boss room to look for a secret or something.

3. They still seem a bit out of place in a series where platforming mechanics are often thin on the ground. Probably cause that and a few other sections were the only cases where Wario Land 3 actually played like a platformer.

It's funny just how much of a difference knowing that the temple tells you where to go can make. The first time I played the game I was completely reliant on a walkthrough to not lose track of everything and get completely lost, and eventually I lost my place and lost interest. Then I stumbled upon the temple just by random chance and the rest of the game was a breeze. It should really be more clear about the advice mechanic.

3. They still seem a bit out of place in a series where platforming mechanics are often thin on the ground. Probably cause that and a few other sections were the only cases where Wario Land 3 actually played like a platformer.

Eh, the sections where you have to time a bunch of jumps and turnarounds while running on fire are as platformy as anything, and those pop up pretty often. And the climbing segments.

It's funny just how much of a difference knowing that the temple tells you where to go can make. The first time I played the game I was completely reliant on a walkthrough to not lose track of everything and get completely lost, and eventually I lost my place and lost interest. Then I stumbled upon the temple just by random chance and the rest of the game was a breeze. It should really be more clear about the advice mechanic.

That's a good point. Although to some people, figuring stuff out blindly is almost the point. Like in an old classic we all know and (might) love:

Back