Wario's ironical daughter!
Diamond City Insider
Coins
User Title Style Change
Gold Crown
Gold Bracelets
Gold Necklace
Gold Earrings
Yeah, I don't consider that bad design, specially when the premise is to look for gold everywhere. Tbf that room isn't even the worst case, it's actually pretty easy to find when in that mindset tbh. I found it first try

Spearman

just playin through Wario Land
Coins
Yeah, I don't consider that bad design, specially when the premise is to look for gold everywhere.
One of my favorite aspects of the Wario games is definitely exploration and puzzles, and since Wario is a treasure hunter, it makes sense to include lots of fake walls with secret treasure and stuff.

also, that room from before? I've noticed that the developers liked to reuse that puzzle... although I will agree that this one is much easier to solve because it's later in the game and is easier to get the rock.

Durdge-o

John Grondor
Coins
User Name Style Change
Game BOI Advance - Pre-Sale Edition!
9-Volt Plush!
CD
I would understand the complaints about Level Design within the normal difficulty.
But S-Hard isn't fair, I thought that was the whole point?

Doodle Woods, The Big Board, Domino Row, Hotel Horror, Golden Passage...
These levels aren't designed well in terms of difficulty because it's an unlockable difficulty for those who have mastered the game.
They backhand the player for even trying, holding information away from the player that is required to progress that only those who knew the levels inside-out would be able to spot.

Palm Tree Paradise is literally enemy spam.
Wario Land 4 treats obvious and funneling level design as a crutch placed in by the devs to alleviate difficulty issues.
Not to mention the low starting health, cheap tricks (apple monkeys throwing shit during a strict timer to fuck you over), and out of place frog switches forcing you to play the whole level under a timer.

Koopaul

Yes. I'm that Koopaul.
Coins
Wario Land 4 hot takes? Okay. Out of all the Wario Lands this one has the worst use for coins.

Actually, is that really a hot take? Seems more like a fact.

Robin

Wario's ironical daughter!
Diamond City Insider
Coins
User Title Style Change
Gold Crown
Gold Bracelets
Gold Necklace
Gold Earrings
I'd say Wario Land 3 is worst.
Right, I want to ask the same question as to why, I'm just curious.

If I had to make a list on which game works best and how it's used, I'd go like this:

1 - Wario Land Shake It: You use coins to unlock worlds, so they become important for progression, plus they challenge you to collect them in order to get CDs back, which is awesome;
2 - Wario Land 2: Let's you use your coins to play minigames and unlock an extra stage. It also allows you to get the treasures if you want to get 100%;
3 - Wario Land 4: Allows you to play between 3 minigames and collect another currency to make bosses easier for you, each animation for what you can buy is pretty nice, so worth giving that a try. You also unlock the Karaoke in the Sound Room if you get a gold crown in each stage. This is also achieved by collecting coins, gives me a reason to go back and try;
4 - Wario Land 3: They're worth nothing, we're not talking about the Music Coins which give very underwhelming prize once you find them all. The only thing coins are used for is to play the infamous golf minigame and that's all there is;
5 - Wario Land and VB Wario Land: They work similar, both allow you to play one of 2 minigames at the end of stages, one for more money and another for lives. I don't recall if VB does this as well, but Wario Land SML3 counts the coins for the true ending. It's in last because it's pretty tame, no real prize for it (unless you consider getting the true ending a good enough prize).

And for non Wario Land titles:
Wario World uses coins to give you a continue and buy garlic to replenish health. Meh, not bad, they make them actively used in the game but not really that great either.
Wario Master of Disguise: Ummm, it's just a score counter, I guess? Give you a different title screen the more you have... Idk, it's not that great.

Koopaul

Yes. I'm that Koopaul.
Coins
Oh shoot I could have sworn in Wario Land 3 you could use coins to play a minigame that unlocked a final level just like Wario Land 2. I guess not. Yeah Wario Land 3 is the worst then. But I would still argue that 4 is not that good. You use them to play minigames similarly to WL2, but instead of giving you an immediate reward that will get you 100% of the game, it gives you frog coins. The frog coins are entirely optional and weaken the boss. Useful if you are playing Very Hard, but in Normal you have plenty of time to beat the boss so why go through the trouble of playing those minigames? And those minigames are tedious! You have to play them a bunch to get the good items!

I'd say Wario Land 1, 2, and Shake It made the best use of coins since they are needed to progress/ get the best ending.

Collecting money and treasure was always the big focus of these games, so if there was a new Wario land I'd like them to utilize coins in many different ways. To buy health like in Wario World. To play minigames that give you treasure like in Wario Land 2. To buy items that will help you beat the boss. And to open special doors similarly to Wario Land 1. That way you have even more incentive to collect as many coins and jewels as possible.

Just a Wario Fan

E-E-EXCELLENTE!!
Coins
Username Change
CD
Game BOI Advance - Pre-Sale Edition!
User Name Style Change
An Item
Oh shoot I could have sworn in Wario Land 3 you could use coins to play a minigame that unlocked a final level just like Wario Land 2. I guess not. Yeah Wario Land 3 is the worst then. But I would still argue that 4 is not that good. You use them to play minigames similarly to WL2, but instead of giving you an immediate reward that will get you 100% of the game, it gives you frog coins. The frog coins are entirely optional and weaken the boss. Useful if you are playing Very Hard, but in Normal you have plenty of time to beat the boss so why go through the trouble of playing those minigames? And those minigames are tedious! You have to play them a bunch to get the good items!

I'd say Wario Land 1, 2, and Shake It made the best use of coins since they are needed to progress/ get the best ending.

Collecting money and treasure was always the big focus of these games, so if there was a new Wario land I'd like them to utilize coins in many different ways. To buy health like in Wario World. To play minigames that give you treasure like in Wario Land 2. To buy items that will help you beat the boss. And to open special doors similarly to Wario Land 1. That way you have even more incentive to collect as many coins and jewels as possible.
The coin system in WL4 is good IMO, it's just that the minigames to earn them aren't that good. If you play them only for harvesting Frog Medals, I'd recommend playing The Wario Hop. The others are just not efficient enough to make the effort worthwhile.
And yes, the items can be useful to use against bosses when they are too hard, especially in Hard or S-Hard mode, and especially with the Golden Diva.