Wario Master of Disguise coming to Virtual Console!

Unfortunately for me, I was an unlucky soul who picked up Barrel Blast soon after release...

Quite an awful game.

The idea is interesting, but the motion controls are very iffy. Has a mind of it's own, yeah? Plus there is no online mode, although I suppose that doesn't matter a whole lot now, what with the servers being shut down for Wii and DS. To top it off, there are only a handful of unique race tracks, being reused and edited slightly throughout the game, acting as "different" tracks (think of Super Mario Kart), which is unacceptable in this day and age. At least you can play as all the classic characters...

EXCEPT FOR KIDDY AND CHUNKY WHAT DO PEOPLE HAVE AGAINST THEM EEEEEEEE

Unfortunately for me, I was an unlucky soul who picked up Barrel Blast soon after release...

Quite an awful game.

The idea is interesting, but the motion controls are very iffy. Has a mind of it's own, yeah? Plus there is no online mode, although I suppose that doesn't matter a whole lot now, what with the servers being shut down for Wii and DS. To top it off, there are only a handful of unique race tracks, being reused and edited slightly throughout the game, acting as "different" tracks (think of Super Mario Kart), which is unacceptable in this day and age. At least you can play as all the classic characters...

EXCEPT FOR KIDDY AND CHUNKY WHAT DO PEOPLE HAVE AGAINST THEM EEEEEEEE

Thanks, P. Colonel. I wanted to hear your opinion on the game, being a fellow classic Rare/DK fan. You'll cringe or chuckle at this, but I actually ordered Barrel Blast last night after finding it cheap in mint condition. It's called "Donkey Kong: Jet Race" in Australia/Europe, which is a lousy, generic name compared to "Barrel Blast".

I thought the game would be a good investment despite its flaws (I wish it supported GameCube controllers). Call it an act of desperation from a starving old fan. Heheh. I'll take what I can get in this age of Kremling/DK Island extinction. *Cries* Does anyone know why Retro Studios completely redesigned DK's iconic island/world?

Thanks, P. Colonel. I wanted to hear your opinion on the game, being a fellow classic Rare/DK fan. You'll cringe or chuckle at this, but I actually ordered Barrel Blast last night after finding it cheap in mint condition. It's called "Donkey Kong: Jet Race" in Australia/Europe, which is a lousy, generic name compared to "Barrel Blast".
Well, I hope you can find enjoyment in the game. Besides, its most certainly not the worst Wii game I've ever played. It has some upsides and is still just as charming as you'd expect a DK game to be!

I thought the game would be a good investment despite its flaws (I wish it supported GameCube controllers). Call it an act of desperation from a starving old fan. Heheh. I'll take what I can get in this age of Kremling/DK Island extinction. *Cries* Does anyone know why Retro Studios completely redesigned DK's iconic island/world?
I don't think it's so bad...I mean, sure, the lack of Kremlings and K. Rool AND WHY IS CRANKY KRANG HOPPING AROUND INSTEAD OF MY BELOVED KIDDY KONG EEEEEE is certainly a bummer, but the essence of DKC is still there. You have Donkey, Diddy, and Dixie; why no Kiddy Kong WHY JUST WHY CRI the classic DK characters. The same atmosphere and style is present too! Even the great challenge of the original trilogy is intact! My hat goes off to Retro for simply keeping the same feel as the original games. Trust me, it could have turned out a lot worse.

Much, much worse...

banjo_logo_nutsandbolts.jpg

Back