Wario Master of Disguise coming to Virtual Console!

I'd rather have SM64DS instead of this. (why we haven't gotten that one yet is beyond me).

I know there's some people here who like it, but man, it's just very weak wario platformer compared to all the others. But I'm not gonna really complain all that much, it's $10 and worth at least a one time play through.

I have bad experiences with Wii U Virtual Console. Too much input lag. But perhaps that isn't the case for DS. On NES, it makes games nearly unplayable.

It is far from my favorite game but i don't think its bad. Wario is getting exposure so i'll take what i can get. Althought i will only really download for the sake of telling Nintendo we need more Wario. Hopefully more rereleases are to come.

Hopefully the players who download this as their first Wario game won't think that this is the standard for Wario platformers, because this game isn't just bad by Wario standards...It's bad in general.

I'm sorry to say I met a fella who was 'poisoned' by this game. I was working as a groundskeeper at a graveyard, and this bloke and I started yakking about good old games like DK Country, whilst leaning on our shovels (when we should have been working) heheh. ;)

Anyway, Wario entered the conversation and he told me he'd bought Master of Disguise for his son, and they thought it was dreadful. I tried to explain it was a blemish on an otherwise glorious series, but no. You could tell the damage had been done. He and his son had no enthusiasm to buy another Wario game.

Last edited:
Kind of weird that people would write off an entire series just because of one game. Imagine if they would've played King of the Swing or Jungle Climber and, while not bad games might not be everyone's cup of tea, wrote off the entire Donkey Kong series.

It's not weird when you think about it, they might think that's how all other games in the series plays out and don't wanna waste money, this is why all games around the world need demos. like, I wouldn't have gotten RH if it wasn't for the demo. :3

Kind of weird that people would write off an entire series just because of one game. Imagine if they would've played King of the Swing or Jungle Climber and, while not bad games might not be everyone's cup of tea, wrote off the entire Donkey Kong series.

I personally loved King of Swing and Jungle Climber. PAON tried to be faithful to the spirit of DK Country/Land in a time when that series was dead.

They weren't masterpieces or even follow-ups, just quirky spin-offs trying something new. At the very least, they were far more faithful to DK Country than Master of Disguise was to Wario Land. Not in gameplay, but all the classic enemies/K. Rool, Kong family, iconic items and barrel types etc. They're not perfect, but they're closer to Rare's old DK universe than Retro Studios' stuff is. That's what I miss more than anything. It was like revisiting Rare's old DK universe.

Last edited:
Sorry that was probably not the best example. What about Barrel Blast? I personally haven't played it but I know that game was not one of Paon's better efforts and was not well received.

Nah. Never played Barrel Blast either. I did consider buying it when I heard Paon made it, but after reading bad things I was turned off, since it came out during that period when a LOT of scrappy motion control games were flooding the Wii. I'm optimistic, so I'd still like to try it someday. It doesn't look too bad (Watch at 1:20 and 2:02 in this video. It might actually be a lot of fun!)

Last edited:
Back