What are the most well known things from the Wario series?

CM30

Diamond City Mayor
Diamond City Leader
Well, aside from Wario as a character, Ashley as a character and 9-Volt/18-Volt as characters?

What Wario Land elements are generally the most well known outside of the fanbase and why? What's our equivalent to Super Mario Bros' 1-1 or Sonic's Green Hill Zone?

What do you think?

Wario Land has always been a bit of a "sleeper" series and I think this reflects the nature of the games. There isn't much that really stands out in an iconic way but it all comes together to form a very pleasant gaming experience.

Wario Land has always been a bit of a "sleeper" series and I think this reflects the nature of the games. There isn't much that really stands out in an iconic way but it all comes together to form a very pleasant gaming experience.
Yeah, and add to this the fact that most enemy and boss designs in Wario Land and the others are beyond horrifying, even for Wario. And are always different every time and never seem to stick.

WarioWare, on the other hand, at least has a consistent stable of characters with every installment. That's why it can resonate with people better than Land can.

People aren't hating on Wario Land. It just...doesn't have that much that would qualify as "iconic" in any way.

Sadly, I don't think there's much that can stay with people who aren't fans of the games since most of what makes the games noteworthy are based on controls. I know you can say the same for games like Mario, but Wario Land doesn't have an appealing set of consistent characters nor anything else that would interest non-players.

However, my best guesses for recognisable elements would probably be the transformations, the shoulder bash, the treasure hunting/get rich motif and the inclusion of mini-games.

I feel like in a way, the Wario Land games are a bit like an in-joke; the appeal of a series centered on bad-Mario is probably lost to many. It's not really a geek-chic sort of series either since it's not an oft-celebrated one that makes up a large part of gaming history and culture; you could wear a badge of a Super Mushroom, Triforce or Pokeball and non-gamers would probably be able to tell that the item is in reference to a game, probably Nintendo if they're a bit more clued in. I don't think Wario has that same sort of imagery and anything you might attempt with that would probably warrant more explanation than it's worth.

Talking to someone who is aware of the games is a treat though, since it usually means having plenty to talk about.

Sadly, I don't think there's much that can stay with people who aren't fans of the games since most of what makes the games noteworthy are based on controls. I know you can say the same for games like Mario, but Wario Land doesn't have an appealing set of consistent characters nor anything else that would interest non-players.

However, my best guesses for recognisable elements would probably be the transformations, the shoulder bash, the treasure hunting/get rich motif and the inclusion of mini-games.

I feel like in a way, the Wario Land games are a bit like an in-joke; the appeal of a series centered on bad-Mario is probably lost to many. It's not really a geek-chic sort of series either since it's not an oft-celebrated one that makes up a large part of gaming history and culture; you could wear a badge of a Super Mushroom, Triforce or Pokeball and non-gamers would probably be able to tell that the item is in reference to a game, probably Nintendo if they're a bit more clued in. I don't think Wario has that same sort of imagery and anything you might attempt with that would probably warrant more explanation than it's worth.

Talking to someone who is aware of the games is a treat though, since it usually means having plenty to talk about.
And that's why I'm more of a WarioWare fan than Wario Land. I played the first WL and Wario World, but it stopped there.

Like 2D Metroid, it does seem to be in a pickle. No one at Nintendo is interested in making more of them, and they can't find other teams who are.

Honestly, it was a half-miracle that Good-Feel wanted to get on making a new one. We certainly weren't on track to get a new one for God knows how long otherwise.

As for iconic imagery, I really don't know. I guess aside from the characters you listed, best I can think of would be the two outfits for Wario from Wario Land and WarioWare, made more notable to those unfamiliar with the series by Smash Bros. The greed-based gameplay of Land or the fast-paced microgames of Ware are pretty notable, but maybe not quite as recognizable outside of fans of the series.

(And that being said, while I liked Super Metroid for what it was, I'm still more partial to Prime)

you could wear a badge of a Super Mushroom, Triforce or Pokeball and non-gamers would probably be able to tell that the item is in reference to a game, probably Nintendo if they're a bit more clued in. I don't think Wario has that same sort of imagery and anything you might attempt with that would probably warrant more explanation than it's worth.
Just Wario's "W". That's it. And maaaaaaybe the bomb from WarioWare.

Well of course not! Sheesh! Nothing is as iconic as Mario things and anything from Wario can't come close. Obviously.

We're just looking for things that are even just a tiny bit iconic right now.

Yes, that does hold true to the Wario series. But at the end of the day, it's still just those few things that seem to stick with the whole series.

Let's go over this a bit, iconic imagery for every main Nintendo franchise:

Mario: Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Toad, Yoshi, Pipes, ? Blocks, Super Mushroom, Fire Flower, Super Star, Goombas, Koopa Troopas, Piranha Plants
DK: Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, barrels, jungles
Zelda: Link, Zelda, Master Sword, Hylian Shield, Triforce
Metroid: Samus, Screw Attack, Ridley, Metroids
Kirby: Kirby, Waddle Dee, Meta Knight, King Dedede, Whispy Woods
Star Fox: Fox, Peppy, Slippy, Falco, Arwing
Pikmin: Original 3 Pikmin, Olimar, Bulborbs
Animal Crossing: Isabelle, Villagers, Tom Nook, K.K. Slider, towns
Splatoon: Inklings

That pretty much sums them up.

I think something is either iconic or it isn't. Obviously the scale varies but if something can't be considered an "icon", which is something easily recognizable, then it can't really be considered iconic.

Back