What's the status of the Rhythm Heaven series anyway?

CM30

Diamond City Mayor
Diamond City Leader
Coins
User Name Style Change
Postbit Highlight (Pre-Defined)
Gold Necklace
Gold Earrings
User Title Style Change
It seems pretty quiet here, and I don't recall Nintendo ever announcing a new one in a while now.

So is it dead? Or is it just a series we'll have to wait a bit longer to see a new game get announced in?

The 3rd Wario Brother

Worlds greatest treasure hunter.
Diamond City Insider
Coins
As we've seen with other Nintendo series, nothing really dies. Much like Metroid, Kid Icarus, Wario Land, etc. I think the series is just in hibernation and it'll be back one of these days. Maybe even a new game for the Switch, you never know.

Glowsquid

Mental midget
Diamond City Leader
Coins
Profile Music
A while ago there was some dumbass rumour by destructoid it was "dead". In response eurogamer asked yoshio sakamoto about it and his response was

I wanted to ask you about Rhythm Heaven, another game series you've worked on. There was a recent report there would be no more Rhythm Heaven - is this true?

Yoshio Sakamoto: We generally don't comment on those kind of rumours, but I don't remember us ever saying it was over. Generally speaking, if there's an oppurtunity, a motivation, a need, we consider all opportunities and leave the door open. That's all I can say.

So you wouldn't say it was dead?

Yoshio Sakamoto: No, it's not dead.