A holiday post. How fitting!

Luigi "Ghostbuster" Rocks

Diamond City Leader
Figured I would start a post with a proper holiday theme in mind. So let me know what is your favorite snow/ice themed world/level/area in a video game. There's not a limit here so you can pick from any game, non-Nintendo games can be included here.
My personal choice has to be Freezeezy Peak from Banjo Kazooie...there's just something magical about this snow level. It has the perfect holiday feeling to it. The music, the horribly placed snowmen, the snow falling, bone-chilling ice water, and the enormous Christmas tree that you can actually explore on the inside! Perfect ideal world for the winter/holiday season. Let me know what your favorites are guys! I'm curious to see the responses.

Sherbet Land in Mario Kart Double Dash and Mario Kart 8 always gives me that Winter and Christmas feeling regardless of what time of the year it is. It's one of my favorite tracks in the game. N64 Rainbow Road in Mario Kart 8 gives me that feeling too.
Super Mario Galaxy 2 had that snow level and the music gave the feeling it was just the new year or something.

Edit: Oh yeah! The snow level in Wario Land Shake It! That level has one of the best songs.

Last edited:
  • I'll start with a Wario one, my personal favorite in the series: 40 Below Fridge :40belowbrr:
  • Frostbite Island from the Shantae series. The music is the coolest ;) ever for an ice-themed area.
  • Ice land from SMB 3. The very first world in a Mario game that is entirely about ice & snow.
    120px-Iced_Land.jpg
  • DK Pass from Mario Kart DS. Again, it is the music that gets me.

Not one for Christmas type stuff, but there are some things I like. Now ice levels are something I don't really like much, but I Think the snowy mountain from Jak and Daxter has got to be a favorite of mine. Now I really love the collect-a-thon that is Jak and Daxter and its snowy mountain feels very nice to play on and to explore, and let's not forget that music!

I have been thinking on this alot lately : p

And I have a good one, Erromon and Lonely Mountian in Aidyn Chronicles: The First Mage for N64. Both because they make me think of Christmas, and also because I got the game on Christmas in 2005, haha : p

Aidyn Chronicles  erromon 1.jpg
Aidyn Chronicles  erromon 3.jpg
Aidyn Chronicles  lonely mountain.jpg
Aidyn Chronicles yeraza 2.jpg
Aidyn Chronicles yeraza.jpg

This is my "Christmas game", haha.
Also, the ice cavern in LoZ: OoT : p

For the most part, its winter scenes in N64 games that make me think most of Christmas. Maybe its because I grew up with the console as a kid. But, also, colorful happy games were still popular back then, I think thats a part of it too. I mean, it seems like drab, grey and boring world designs are whats in right now, so theres much less magic to video games. Maybe its a mix of the two : p

Some Crash Bandicoot music, too?

I really like the Crash Team Racing hub music, and here's the Glacier section:

And here's the theme for the Blizzard Bluff race track from the same game:

Here's three freezing favourites of mine! (Say that 10 times fast and you win a toffee) First on the menu is the desolate, lonely theme from the final area of Equinox, a very obscure SNES adventure from 1993. Second is a sad but soothing childhood favourite from the classic GB title, Donkey Kong Land 2. And lastly, the cold and chaotic theme of Bad Mr. Frosty's stage in my all-time favourite fighting game, ClayFighter 63 1/3. Sadly, the audio quality on these is rather poor/weak compared to the original hardware.

WARNING: I use spoiler tags because too many video links 'snow' down the page for phone users. (A shout-out to MonaWare)

Equinox - Solstice II [SNES] - Ice Palace

Donkey Kong Land 2 [GB] - Arctic Abyss

ClayFighter 63 1/3 [N64] - Freezing Fortress

Last edited:
a sad but soothing childhood favourite

That Equinox game has really good music, I need to look that game up soon.

And speaking of "sad" Christmas songs, Ive been thinking of that lately, too : p I actually have one that Ive been listening to all week thinking about Xmas, but its not from a video game though : p But, I do have one from a game that makes me think of the same kinda things-

That Equinox game has really good music, I need to look that game up soon.

And speaking of "sad" Christmas songs, Ive been thinking of that lately, too : p I actually have one that Ive been listening to all week thinking about Xmas, but its not from a video game though : p But, I do have one from a game that makes me think of the same kinda things-

That track of yours is the kind of thing I play in the background while writing sombre stuff. I do my best creative writing on cold winter nights with sad wintry music. Heheh.

Anyway, Equinox IS in my top 5 all-time favourites, but I can't recommend it, Mona. Remember when you talked about how games should put the fun factor before the challenge? Well, Equinox is as old-world as you can get. The polar opposite of hand-holding in every way. The soundtrack is a work of art, and the game is magical and otherworldly, but it's not user-friendly at all. It's one of those extinct game breeds from yesteryear that would never be released today.

I think the magazine ad described it best...

upload_2016-12-23_3-0-14.png

Last edited:
That first one (Ristar) is pretty and relaxing, but other than that everything Magma posted is energetic and rocking, haha : p

Really says alot about how he feels about Christmas : p

Oh, and I didnt post any music myself (besides the thing Angler made me think of) so heres two tracks from Aidyn Chronicles that make me think of Christmas-

Aidyn Chronicles had some psychadelic music, haha : p

Back