Can you remember the first time you saw Wario in a game?

Boris Carloft's Car Loft

strange chameleon man 3000
The title says it all, really.

I remember hearing about him for the first time from Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3. I begged my Mom to get it, but she said I had to wait until my next birthday. Well, she ended up forgetting about the game and got me Mario Kart 64, along with a N64 instead. I remember seeing Wario for the first time and choosing him immediately (because I remembered hearing about his game and was excited to get to play as him finally). I never hardly played as anyone else.

So, what was your first Wario sighting?

Last edited:
Probably when I first played Wario Land II at my cousin's. Then I borrowed it and it was the first game I ever played extensively on my own. =u=
That was the time I became a Wario fan. :3

Reactions: 607
WL4. My brother was into the Mario Advance series and we have probably all the main GBA titles besides SMW. I have to admit that box art was pretty awesome.

Wow, where did you get them?
At a store, don't remember which one. >.< Funny because I know for a fact SMBDX was gotten at Target. Perhaps Gamestop? I'm from the US so it's not hard to find places to get games.

At a store, don't remember which one. >.< Funny because I know for a fact SMBDX was gotten at Target. Perhaps Gamestop? I'm from the US so it's not hard to find places to get games.
It's not that easy here I think :/ Oh well, at least I wasn't born in Russia :rolleyes:

Don't mind me resurrecting this thread...

I distinctively remember seeing the cover art for SML3: Wario Land, possibly in a games catalogue or from one of those posters pack in with other GB games. I have a real fondness for the original Mario artwork and so I used to spent a lot of time looking at the art work and imagining what it'd be like to play the game.

On second thoughts, I remember my best friend's brother letting me have a go of Wario Blast and wondering who this Wario character is. Wario Woods, Wario Blast, and Wario Land all came out of nowhere at about the same time.

This was my first exposure to Wario (it's actually extremely nostalgic seeing it again after all these years):

I was never able to remember the name of the game, but for many years I remembered this commercial and the fact that Mario had a game in which he fought an evil counterpart named Wario. I thought the idea was awesome and I always wanted to play it. Sadly, I would not play it for many years to come, since I never had access to a Gameboy growing up.

My first actual exposure to Wario in a video game was in Mario Kart 64. I remember being quite surprised at how bulky he was, since I'd always assumed his proportions would be the same as Mario's.

What I still don't understand was how the hell they got Wario in Mario Kart 64. Mario Kart is an EAD-made franchise, so how did they go about getting him into it?

That's a good question. It's rather amazing that Wario managed to get into SM64 considering how he was made by a different team and hadn't yet appeared in that many games. I guess it must have been due to his popularity.

That's a good question. It's rather amazing that Wario managed to get into SM64 considering how he was made by a different team and hadn't yet appeared in that many games. I guess it must have been due to his popularity.
Do you really mean super mario 64 here, or is that supposed to be mario kart 64?

I think it was when I played the original Wario Land where you played as him. I think.

My memory's pretty fuzzy when it comes to really early in my childhood, so of course this may be inaccurate.

It would have to have been Mario Kart 64 for me shortly followed by Wario Land 3. He was my favourite racer when I was a kid, so I decided I'd learn more about him and his game series. I was definitely not disappointed.

In a bar, drinking beer, and I asked "Are you enjoying your beer, sir?", and he replied "Sure am! But if I want to continue working at Nintendo, I better stop! They hate it! I have an ideia, though! I'll start eating a garlic each time want a beer!". And so it went, since the Japanese version of Wario Land 2, Wario stopped drinking beer...

Now for real: I first saw Wario in Super Mario Land 2, as the final boss. To me, Wario was always the bad guy from the Mario series, since I never new Bowser before that. I think I saw Bowser the first time in Super Mario Kart, and got the game after I got Super Mario Land 2. I became a fan of the character in Wario Land 3, and today, Wario is, to me, the equivalent of Mario for the players in the NES/SNES era.

Don't know where else to put this. Thought about making my own thread, but my bad explaining skills hampered it, so I figure I'd just put it here.

I think I may have given my little nephew his first exposure to Wario. He wanted to watch whatever game I was playing, so I booted up Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3 on my 2DS. He seemed rather amused by what was going on in the game.

Just wanted to post that while it was still in my mind.

Back