[DEAD] Wario Land 3 Hack Project

Developers:
  1. Drenn - creator of The Editor
  2. wariolandgoldpiramid (me) - Director, Research&Analysis, Gameplay Design, Playtesting.
  3. 607 - Director, Programming, Music Composing (?)
  4. nayrran - Research&Analysis, Playtesting
  5. JoKeR - Level Design, Gameplay Design, Playtesting
  6. Exeggutor - Playtesting
  7. ShyGuyXXL - Graphics, Level Design, Gameplay Design, Programming
  8. 356 - Level Design, Gameplay Design, Research&Analysis, Programming,
  9. Bobo - Graphics
  10. Waschpenner - Level Design, Gameplay Design, Programming, Graphics
  11. K3fka - ROM, RAM, ASM
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Drenn's Wario Land 3 Editor:
Get it here

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wario Land 3 Hack Folder on Google Drive:
Send a PM to 607 to get acsess

Development has not officialy started yet.
We are in the planning stages.

What if we all make a development team, and create a big, full, official hack of Wario Land 3?
I think that if we all work together, we can make an amazing game that's just as good, if not better, than the origional.

And I'm very serious about this project. I really want this to happen, and I'm encouraging anyone who is interested to join the development team

Well, I have these thoughts in my head, but when putting them on print... I'm not really sure if I can write this page well, but I'll try my best...

So...

What do we need?

Base: The editor

UPDATE:
Drenn is joining us, and will continue working on the editor.
We also made progress in learning "Programming", as well as Graphics Editing

We also have an object database now, so the blue boxes problem has been solved.

And we got some practice with it's usage, so things have improved since we started.

Developing:

1) Programmers. Those who will learn the editor, and put, implement our designed content into the game. That's a very importhant job. The editor, like i sayd, is pretty hard to use. It's not Lunar Magic. So it will take some time to learn how to use it. And using it to actually create the levels can be difficult. It will need time, skill, patience... It will be hard work, so we need people who will be willing to do it

But of course, programming comes later. Before we can put things into the hack, we need to design them

2) Level designers. These people will need to design the levels that will be in the game. This includes the visuals, graphics, tilesets, and the general map of the levels. The locations and areas of the keys, chests, music coins, and stuff like that.
Designing things means working on paper, or in a graphic program. The levels need to be interesting, good to look at, fun to explore, etc... So the level designers would need to work on that

3) Gameplay designers. These designers will need to design the gameplay. This means: the obstacles that will get in Wario's way to the treasures, the puzzles that he will have to solve, etc...
I already designed 4 puzzles, you can see them here.
And I'm sure i can design more. This is deffinetly something I'm interested in working on.

4) Researchers. These people need to do reseach of the Wario Land 3 game. What i mean is: analyze the levels.
Look at J. J. W. Mezun's analysis of the Wario Land 3 levels at the website Wario Land Land.
And analyze the levels ourselves. We need to understand what was good, and what was bad about the origional game levels, in terms of visual deaign, and in terms of gameplay.
Here are a few examples i read on the site.
Puzzles where you need to jump on miltiple enemyes to climb up are a bit overused in the game, espacialy in Cave Of Flames. So have less of those.
Cave of Flames is the worst level in visual design, because all the rooms look the same. Perhaps we can add some more tilesets. Also, the warp beans that destroy the enemy only appear in Cave of Flames. We could put morw of them in other levels of the hack.
To many caves that all look the same. We could design some more cave tilesets, and also have more outdoor areas in the levels.
Another things that need researching is the flow of the game, the order in which you collect the treasures. We would need to make it thr same in our game, andlater than sure no treadure is unlocked earlier or later than it's suppose to.

Also, here is a little bit of my analysis. It's not really analys, more like small observations. But still, it's info that can help us design
The Vast Plain
Tower Of Revival
Desert Ruins

5) Perhaps we can have artists who will design custom graphics, and then edit the graphics of the origional game

6) Playtesters. Those will test our game. While developing the game, we can all test the created levels. See if the levels are nice to look at. To hard or to easy. And so on.
But it would also be nice if we could have some out of house playtesters. Well, those will mostly come into the play when the game would be finished...

EDIT:
7) Music composers. I didn't think of this at first, but it would be nice if we could add our own music into the game. Some details in posts below

Well, that's all I can think of at the moment.
Is anyone interested in this?
If we are to make this, it would need to be a coleborative process. I dont know how many people would be needed, how big the team would need to be.
As of right now, we are a very small community. This project might be to ambitous for us. I dont know for sure. But it would certainly help to gather a larger anount of fans here, get ad many Wario fans ad we can to join or community.

And then... Who knows? We might be able to do this.

So...
Is anyone interested?

Last edited:
Thank you for making the thread!
I would definitely want to take a part in this, and I think I could find some time (I don't have as much spare spare time as many of you probably do though).
I could be a programmer. I know it's not easy, but I'm sure if I would look more into it I would be able to use the editor and other information about the game on the internet to create proper levels, especially with help of other programmers.
Another thing I can do is something I don't think you mentioned, music.
I'm a composer, and I really hope we will be able to do something to change the music in the game. If it's possible, I would like to try to make music for the game.

Thank you for making the thread!
I would definitely want to take a part in this, and I think I could find some time (I don't have as much spare spare time as many of you probably do though).
I could be a programmer. I know it's not easy, but I'm sure if I would look more into it I would be able to use the editor and other information about the game on the internet to create proper levels, especially with help of other programmers.
Another thing I can do is something I don't think you mentioned, music.
I'm a composer, and I really hope we will be able to do something to change the music in the game. If it's possible, I would like to try to make music for the game.

I didn't even think about custom music. It should be possible, but we would need to do some research on that.
So what do i think of putting custom music in the game? Yes, it's a great idea, and would certainly make our game better. Especialy if we actually compose our own music, and not import any music from other games.
This isn't a SMW hack, where importing music from any nintendo game can work. This game is origional, and it deserves special care.
The thing is, i dont want new music to completly replace the origional game music. What we should do is keep the best music we like, and replace the music that isn't as good.
For example: the origional game had a decent Title Screen music. However, if we put custom music on the title screen (plus custom graphics for the name of the game), it will show the player, right of the bat, that we are serious with the game.
Music such as Treasure Gallery/Best Times, Forest Of Fear, Warped Void isn't the best in the game, and theoreticly can be replaced (IMHO).
Sometimes, multiple levels have the same music. In cases like this, we can keep the origional music in one level, and replace it with custom music in another level
  • Peaceful Village and Town In Chaos (day version, night version)
  • Big Bridge, Bank of the Wild River, Steep Canyon
  • Colosal Hole, Cave Of Flames
  • Desert Ruins, Tower Of Revival
  • Pool of Rain and Stagnant Swamp (day version, night version)
  • Tidal Coast, Sea Turtle Rocks, Beneath the Waves
  • Vast Plain, Grasslands (day version, night version)
  • Volcano's Base, Castle of Illusions (day version, night version)
  • West and East Craters
And that's already enought space (theoreticly) for 15 new songs

I didn't even think about custom music. It should be possible, but we would need to do some research on that.
So what do i think of putting custom music in the game? Yes, it's a great idea, and would certainly make our game better. Especialy if we actually compose our own music, and not import any music from other games.
This isn't a SMW hack, where importing music from any nintendo game can work. This game is origional, and it deserves special care.
The thing is, i dont want new music to completly replace the origional game music. What we should do is keep the best music we like, and replace the music that isn't as good.
For example: the origional game had a decent Title Screen music. However, if we put custom music on the title screen (plus custom graphics for the name of the game), it will show the player, right of the bat, that we are serious with the game.
Music such as Treasure Gallery/Best Times, Forest Of Fear, Warped Void isn't the best in the game, and theoreticly can be replaced (IMHO).
Sometimes, multiple levels have the same music. In cases like this, we can keep the origional music in one level, and replace it with custom music in another level
  • Peaceful Village and Town In Chaos (day version, night version)
  • Big Bridge, Bank of the Wild River, Steep Canyon
  • Colosal Hole, Cave Of Flames
  • Desert Ruins, Tower Of Revival
  • Pool of Rain and Stagnant Swamp (day version, night version)
  • Tidal Coast, Sea Turtle Rocks, Beneath the Waves
  • Vast Plain, Grasslands (day version, night version)
  • Volcano's Base, Castle of Illusions (day version, night version)
  • West and East Craters
And that's already enought space (theoreticly) for 15 new songs
Hm, there's a chance it won't be possible to use more songs than are used in the original game. Like, it's possible that we can actually change the existing pieces, but it's much tougher to add more pieces in, and tell the level to use a new piece.
Also, what do you think of remixes/improvisations on some themes? Like, having these 3 things:
1.Original music, preferably sounding wario-y.
2.Remixes/improvisations inspired by the original music, used in the same levels.
3a.Exactly the same music as in Wario Land 3.
3b.Potentially music from Wario Land II or one. I mean, I hope we'll also make at least one level a reference to an other game in the series.
Edit: Added 3b.
Those 3 are ordered from what should be most used to what should be least used in my opinion.

I need some time to look into that editor soon, I'm getting all excited :/

Hm, there's a chance it won't be possible to use more songs than are used in the original game. Like, it's possible that we can actually change the existing pieces, but it's much tougher to add more pieces in, and tell the level to use a new piece.
Also, what do you think of remixes/improvisations on some themes? Like, having these 3 things:
1.Original music, preferably sounding wario-y.
2.Remixes/improvisations inspired by the original music, used in the same levels.
3a.Exactly the same music as in Wario Land 3.
3b.Potentially music from Wario Land II or one. I mean, I hope we'll also make at least one level a reference to an other game in the series.
Edit: Added 3b.
Those 3 are ordered from what should be most used to what should be least used in my opinion.

I need some time to look into that editor soon, I'm getting all excited :/

There's just a difference in styles betwen 1/2 vs 3. I can't ezplain it, but i feel like 1/2 music is meant to be liniar level music, and 3 muaic is meant to be non-linear exploration music. And to me, i can't picture wario land 1/2 music in 3 or vise versa...

I played around a bit with the editor and it's awesome! I mean, it isn't fully functional, but the most important features are there!
Nice :)
I recommend you try creating some custom credits.
I tryed experimenting with the credits editor, but the editor just does whatever it wants with the color of the letters

If you wish to contribute, we can always find a job for you :)
Perhaps you can be do Reserach&Analysis of the origional, or design the puzzles.
Or, at the very least, you can be a playtester

I'm very grateful, thank you very much. :)
Maybe designing levels (especially hard ones) would be great to me since I have some ideas about it.

Reactions: 607
I looked at it and I think we can use it, it isn't 100% convenient but we can use it to get all the people that worked on it mentioned I think.
NFvAkrH.png

Also, I created a little proof of concept video, because I'm really excited about what this editor all can do :)
Showing the ability to rearrange blocks and items(with items I mean enemies and in this case the fire)
Change the behaviour of blocks (yay for spiky slopes :p)
And changing textures.
And that all in like 30 minutes of playing around with it. I know it's only proof of concept, but still, pretty cool, huh? :D
Edit: The lag is not caused by the changes by the way, but by my emulator settings and fraps running.

I looked at it and I think we can use it, it isn't 100% convenient but we can use it to get all the people that worked on it mentioned I think.
NFvAkrH.png

Also, I created a little proof of concept video, because I'm really excited about what this editor all can do :)
Showing the ability to rearrange blocks and items(with items I mean enemies and in this case the fire)
Change the behaviour of blocks (yay for spiky slopes :p)
And changing textures.
And that all in like 30 minutes of playing around with it. I know it's only proof of concept, but still, pretty cool, huh? :D
Edit: The lag is not caused by the changes by the way, but by my emulator settings and fraps running.

Those Spikey Slopes are funny, but probably not something we should put in the game :p
And is the credits editor really so hard to use? I mean, there are tools there for changing the color, but... are they usable?

Those Spikey Slopes are funny, but probably not something we should put in the game :p
And is the credits editor really so hard to use? I mean, there are tools there for changing the color, but... are they usable?
The credits editor is definitely well usable. The only problem is that you would do best to replace the new names with the old names, so the colours are programmed. Because, as you saw when typing wariolandgoldpiramid, it chose two different colours because originally there wasn't a name there. But I'm 98% sure we'll be able to do with the credits what we need to do with it.
Also, as I sad, the Spiky Slopers are just proof of concept. It's interesting though. We are able to change the physics of every block to those of another block, so if we want to use, say for example, more underwater platform blocks with different textures, we can just change a block that we won't be using to an underwater platform and then change it's texture.

Cool! I really like hacking games. Every once once in a while, I make some Pokémon Firered maps. But I always lose interest halfway through :/
Really interested in helping though.

The credits editor is definitely well usable. The only problem is that you would do best to replace the new names with the old names, so the colours are programmed.
That's kind of a problem. I would want the game to have colaborative credits, with origional game staff on top, and the hacking team below.

I would like to help as a 2, 3&6

i will give more away tommoriow

Bobo is a spritemaker so maybe he could help (when he's back)
Nice, desingners are deffinetly needed! :D
And having a spritemaker would be nice too, perhaps we should invite Bobo

Cool! I really like hacking games. Every once once in a while, I make some Pokémon Firered maps. But I always lose interest halfway through :/
Really interested in helping though.
Thank you :)
How would you like to contribute? What job would you be interested in?

It's nice to see that a bunch of people are interested.
I think it would also be nice if Daniel and WwwWario joined us.
Daniel is a great game analyzer (his book on Wario Land 4 is awesome! :D ), so i think his contribution to Research&Analysis of the origional Wario Land 3 would be very helpful.
And WwwWario is great at level design. Even thought i couldn't really get into playing his games, i must say they have some great level design

What about Drenn, the creator of the editor? Sure, he abandoned his editor, but maby he could help us use it?
What if we ask his help with the credits, for example? Perhaps he might be able to make them look nice. Colaborative credits, with origional game staff on top, and the hacking team below.

Last edited:
I'll look into the credits. I love how you want to do the credits first, when you don't even know who will be working on it yet :rolleyes:
Also, yeah, but how would you contact Drenn? I may try making an account on that forum, if he's still somewhat active.

Edit: Also, wariolandgoldpiramid, would you be director? Because we definitely need one. I mean, this is a big project, and we can surely pull it off, but we need to keep oversight in order to not make this a "failed attempt" or "wasted effort" project.
We need to plan this well, and I think we can, as long as we listen to each other to prevent miscommunication, and don't start doing all sorts of things without informing the other people involved.

Last edited:
I'll look into the credits. I love how you want to do the credits first, when you don't even know who will be working on it yet :rolleyes:
Also, yeah, but how would you contact Drenn? I may try making an account on that forum, if he's still somewhat active.

It's not that i want to create the credits already, just to figure out how it works, and perhaps test it.

You tested level editing, and I want to test cutscene text and credits editing

As for Drenn, he has a youtube account, so you can try to leave a comment on this video or send him a PM on this account.

Oh, and CM30 has an account on that forum

It's not that i want to create the credits already, just to figure out how it works, and perhaps test it.

You tested level editing, and I want to test cutscene text and credits editing

As for Drenn, he has a youtube account, so you can try to leave a comment on this video or send him a PM on this account.

Oh, and CM30 has an account on that forum
Did you read my edit? :)
If I have time, I'll look into possibilities to edit the world map this evening. Or did you already do that?

Did you read my edit? :)
If I have time, I'll look into possibilities to edit the world map this evening. Or did you already do that?

Editing the map?
Dont bother. If we do that, we would need to edit the treasures, cutscenes, and game flow. That's to ambitous.
If you want to redesign the visuals of the map, i guess you can do that, but we shouldn't change anything else there.

Another idea: we can re-design, without any problems, all the optinal treasures: the treasures that don't do anything, and are only needed for 100% completion. There are 19 treasures like this in the game, we can totally fill them with referenses to other Wario Land, and Wario Ware games.

I only just saw your edit. You're sujjesting i be the director?

Back