[DEAD] Wario Land 3 Hack Project

Editing the map?
Dont bother. If we do that, we would need to edit the treasures, cutscenes, and game flow. That's to ambitous.
If you want to redesign the visuals of the map, i guess you can do that, but we shouldn't change anything else there.

Another idea: we can re-design, without any problems, all the optinal treasures: the treasures that don't do anything, and are only needed for 100% completion. There are 19 treasures like this in the game, we can totally fill them with referenses to other Wario Land, and Wario Ware games.

I only just saw your edit. You're sujjesting i be the director?
I'm indeed suggesting you're the director. I think you can handle it, and you make nice threads that are easy to see what is going on.
I do indeed mean editing the visuals. Because if we don't, we can't change level ideas. Maybe someone wants to make a level that just doesn't fit with the picture on the map, so then we should be able to make the map match the actual level.

I'm indeed suggesting you're the director. I think you can handle it, and you make nice threads that are easy to see what is going on.

Well, thanks for saying that. I'll think about it.

I do indeed mean editing the visuals. Because if we don't, we can't change level ideas. Maybe someone wants to make a level that just doesn't fit with the picture on the map, so then we should be able to make the map match the actual level.

Again, if we change the visuals to much, the treasure cutscenes wouldn't look correctly

Oh, of course, I completely forgot about that for a moment :eek:ops:
But how would we even be able to really implement new level ideas then?

Unless we do very complex hacking, we can't.
Our best chance is to just be creative with what we already have.
For example, we could make Desert Ruins a big desert level, with less indoor areas.
The towns. We can get creative and give them a different feel. Like, an abandoned/destroyed village, and perhaps an industrial town, with fans that swing you up (like town in chaos blue chest), red propellors, lazers and stuff
And of course, we have absolute control over the Warped Void theme. We can name it "Between Dimentions" (level names can be edited via graphics editing), and combine 4 themes in it. Sure, a combinatin of different themes might be weird, but as long as it has the "another dimention" feel, and the areas are connected throught portals, we might be able to make the level work.
The 4 themes could be those that we unused in the origional game. Like mines. I really like mines, and WL3 has 2 types of mine carts.
A haunted mansion - if we can re-create Wario Land 2 Uncanny Mansion tileset, it would be a nice referense.

Reactions: 607
New Research Data:
Here is a list of useless treasures in the game Wario Land 3. Since none of these treasures has a purpose, it does not matter what these treasures are. So, we can change these graphics to whatever we want, like referenses to other Wario Land / Wario Ware games, and maby some other series, like Mario, DK, Metroid, Zelda, etc...

List of useless treasures:
  1. N4 Bank of the Wild River - Blue Chest: Rocket
    WL3_T_055.PNG
  2. S2 The Big Bridge - Green Chest: Pokemon Pikachu
    WL3_T_056.PNG
    I would avoid editing this one, it's already a Nintendo referense
  3. S1 The Grasslands - Blue Chest: Fighter Mannequin
    WL3_T_060.PNG
  4. S4 The Steep Canyon - Green Chest: Telephone
    WL3_T_075.PNG
  5. W2 The Volcano's Base - Green Chest: Crown
    WL3_T_076.PNG
  6. N3 The Vast Plain - Blue Chest: Red Bracelet
    WL3_T_078.PNG
  7. N5 The Tidal Coast - Blue Chest: Green Bracelet
    WL3_T_079.PNG
  8. W2 The Volcano's Base - Red Chest: Blue Bracelet
    WL3_T_080.PNG
  9. W5 Beneath the Waves - Blue Chest: Clubs Crest
    WL3_T_081.PNG
  10. W6 The West Crater - Blue Chest: Spades Crest
    WL3_T_082.PNG
  11. E5 The Warped Void - Blue Chest: Heart Crest
    WL3_T_083.PNG
  12. E6 The East Crater - Red Chest: Diamond Crest
    WL3_T_084.PNG
  13. E6 The East Crater - Blue Chest: Earthen Figure
    WL3_T_085.PNG
  14. W6 The West Crater - Red Chest: Saber
    WL3_T_086.PNG
  15. N2 The Peaceful Village - Green Chest: Expensive Glass
    WL3_T_087.PNG
  16. E2 The Frigid Sea - Red Chest: Magic Pot
    WL3_T_088.PNG
  17. E2 The Frigid Sea - Blue Chest: UFO
    WL3_T_090.PNG
  18. S5 Cave of Flames - Red Chest: Luxury Car
    WL3_T_091.PNG
  19. E4 The Colossol Hole - Blue Chest: Locomotive
    WL3_T_092.PNG
Possible treasures we can put in replace of these
  • GBC
  • Wario Land 1 Genie's Lamp
  • Wario Land 4 Keyzer
  • Mario's Star Powerup
  • Blue Shell

Last edited:
New Research Data:
Here is a list of useless treasures in the game Wario Land 3. Since none of these treasures has a purpose, it does not matter what these treasures are. So, we can change these graphics to whatever we want, like referenses to other Wario Land / Wario Ware games, and maby some other series, like Mario, DK, Metroid, Zelda, etc...

List of useless treasures:
  1. N4 Bank of the Wild River - Blue Chest: Rocket
    WL3_T_055.PNG
  2. S2 The Big Bridge - Green Chest: Pokemon Pikachu
    WL3_T_056.PNG
    I would avoid editing this one, it's already a Nintendo referense
  3. S1 The Grasslands - Blue Chest: Fighter Mannequin
    WL3_T_060.PNG
  4. S4 The Steep Canyon - Green Chest: Telephone
    WL3_T_075.PNG
  5. W2 The Volcano's Base - Green Chest: Crown
    WL3_T_076.PNG
  6. N3 The Vast Plain - Blue Chest: Red Bracelet
    WL3_T_078.PNG
  7. N5 The Tidal Coast - Blue Chest: Green Bracelet
    WL3_T_079.PNG
  8. W2 The Volcano's Base - Red Chest: Blue Bracelet
    WL3_T_080.PNG
  9. W5 Beneath the Waves - Blue Chest: Clubs Crest
    WL3_T_081.PNG
  10. W6 The West Crater - Blue Chest: Spades Crest
    WL3_T_082.PNG
  11. E5 The Warped Void - Blue Chest: Heart Crest
    WL3_T_083.PNG
  12. E6 The East Crater - Red Chest: Diamond Crest
    WL3_T_084.PNG
  13. E6 The East Crater - Blue Chest: Earthen Figure
    WL3_T_085.PNG
  14. W6 The West Crater - Red Chest: Saber
    WL3_T_086.PNG
  15. N2 The Peaceful Village - Green Chest: Expensive Glass
    WL3_T_087.PNG
  16. E2 The Frigid Sea - Red Chest: Magic Pot
    WL3_T_088.PNG
  17. E2 The Frigid Sea - Blue Chest: UFO
    WL3_T_090.PNG
  18. S5 Cave of Flames - Red Chest: Luxury Car
    WL3_T_091.PNG
  19. E4 The Colossol Hole - Blue Chest: Locomotive
    WL3_T_092.PNG
Possible treasures we can put in replace of these:
  • GBC
  • Wario Land 1 Genie's Lamp
  • Wario Land 4 Keyzer
Wow, you did quite some research! Good job!

Wow, you did quite some research! Good job!
Thanks, but it wasn't hard. I just used these pages on Wario Land Land and Super Mario Wiki to gather all the information i need. Plus, I've actually researched this before, like a year ago or so...

EDIT:
I sayd I was doing to do Research & Analysis of the game. And you did read some analytical topica i posted in the Wario Land forums. Well, I really will be doing Research & Analysis

Also: added 2 more replacement treasures to the previous post.

You know, this would be an awesome project, and I would deffinetly love to be a part of it, i dont know if I can really be a director. What makes you sure I can?
What are the director's duties aniway?

Last edited:
Treasures:

Pacman (pizza with one slice eaten version)
Kirby
Smash Ball
Fronk (warioware)
Samus' helmet
Banana (DK)
Dr Mario pill
Tetris block
All seeing eye
That professor guy from WL4
Shyguy
Ufo has to stay
Triforce
Miniature Airwing
Pokéball

Treasures:

Pacman (pizza with one slice eaten version)
Kirby
Smash Ball
Fronk (warioware)
Samus' helmet
Banana (DK)
Dr Mario pill
Tetris block
All seeing eye
That professor guy from WL4
Shyguy
Ufo has to stay
Triforce
Miniature Airwing
Pokéball
I hope that these are just suggestions and you don't want to force every one of them to be in the game. :p

Also, I don't really know wariolandgoldpiramid, maybe we don't really need a director, but when miscommunication might occur and people get in an argument (I hope that won't happen) there needs to be someone who stays above it and can solve it. Someone to who we should listen might something go wrong.

I have some question:

Does the hack will have a difficulty menu? (I.E: Easy; Normal; Hard; S-Hard/Nightmare)
Probably not. I have absolutly no idea if this is even possible. It might be poasible with some ASM hacking, but i think that might be to ambitous, plus it would make working in the editor harder...
How can you even have a difficulty setting in a game where you can die?

More possible treausutes:
  • Yoshi Egg
  • Bean Fruit (from Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga)
  • Mini Mario
But remember, guys, we only have 19 treasures that we can re-design. So we can't use all the ideas we have...

EDIT:
Wow, 607, we posted at the same time :p

I'm trying to make a rought plan of the development process...

I mean, we are kind of jumping ahead.
Sure, learning to program in the editor already is certainly useful, and designing things now will help later as well.
But we haven't even started the process yet, right?

What's most importhant is to get as many people into this as we can. That requires finding people who are intertsed.
The more people who join our forums, the more potentioal developers we will have. So, it would help if we can get more Wario fans to join our forums.

I think we can get started on Research & Analysis thought.
I did start this process. Would anyone else join it?

I'm trying to make a rought plan of the development process...

I mean, we are kind of jumping ahead.
Sure, learning to program in the editor already is certainly useful, and designing things now will help later as well.
But we haven't even started the process yet, right?

What's most importhant is to get as many people into this as we can. That requires finding people who are intertsed.
The more people who join our forums, the more potentioal developers we will have. So, it would help if we can get more Wario fans to join our forums.

I think we can get started on Research & Analysis thought.
I did start this process. Would anyone else join it?
Yes, indeed. We can use more people to work on the hack. More people also makes it more difficult to communicate well though. I mean, it's pretty hard to work together with multiple people on one hack, so everything has to be planned carefully. I'll do some more testing on what we can do, and then it's important to get all the levels. We need designers that can make level ideas. I think we should only start programming if all the levels have been designed.

Yes, indeed. We can use more people to work on the hack. More people also makes it more difficult to communicate well though. I mean, it's pretty hard to work together with multiple people on one hack, so everything has to be planned carefully. I'll do some more testing on what we can do, and then it's important to get all the levels. We need designers that can make level ideas. I think we should only start programming if all the levels have been designed.

True, but here's the thing: when you design level, you can't test it intil you program it. And after testing, it might be to hard, or to easy, or not as fun as it could be.

As far as communication goes, we'll figure it put eventualy.
If we get serious abput this project, we can ask the staff to create a new forum section for us. That way, all the Hack discusions would be in one place, and it would be split into sections for general talk, design talk, programing talk, research talk... And in each of them we would be able to create new topics in any of them and discuss the things right here, while keeping it organized at the same time... Maby, some day, that can happen, but probably not at such an early stage.

We can also create a group chat in Google, Skype, etc...

EDIT:
Another treasure idea: Ness' cap

True, but here's the thing: when you design level, you can't test it intil you program it. And after testing, it might be to hard, or to easy, or not as fun as it could be.

As far as communication goes, we'll figure it put eventualy.
If we get serious abput this project, we can ask the staff to create a new forum section for us. That way, all the Hack discusions would be in one place, and it would be split into sections for general talk, design talk, programing talk, research talk... And in each of them we would be able to create new topics in any of them and discuss the things right here, while keeping it organized at the same time... Maby, some day, that can happen, but probably not at such an early stage.

We can also create a group chat in Google, Skype, etc...

EDIT:
Another treasure idea: Ness' cap
Well, for now I like this thread, actually :p
It's good to keep the oversight in each case, so we shouldn't make threads all over the place and lose track of them.
Hm... you have a point there, with the testing. I think the level design will actually be the hardest part of the hack.
But obviously, if someone designed a level, they should tell it to the others, because else people might make levels that don't match with eachother. For example, we can't have two the same blocks with different textures, or a block having different physics in one level than in another level. So we really need to work together here.
Also, there's no easy way to change the cutscenes, right? I wonder... If we were to change the enemies' sprites, will they change in the ending too? Maybe, maybe not. Because if not we shouldn't edit some of the enemies' textures.
Edit: Who's Ness?

I think I'll be trying to make a nice signature linking to this thread sometime soon.

Nice! :)
I put it in my signature, but not everyone would read it and click a text link. What we need is a nice image, that can atrack people attentions

Edit: Who's Ness?

At first I was like: "How can you not know?". But than i remembered that...
I keep forgetting how a lot of members here are way younger than me :p

Of course, age does not matter. No matter how young or old people are, they can do anything if they all work together :)

Aniway, now for some importhant game-related stuff:

For example, we can't have two the same blocks with different textures, or a block having different physics in one level than in another level

This reminded me something. There's something that I think Wario Land 2 did better than Wario Land 3: the blocks.

In Wario Land 2, breakable blocks come in a variety of graphics: Red X Blocks, Green Vauses, Brown Rocks, Wooden Boxes... That's all I can remember right now, but I think there were a few more.

In Wario Land 3, all we have are purple blocks. And they all look nearly the same.

That's the thing with 3. All the blocks are purple

purpleblocks_zps1615ba03.png

I'm not sure if this was intentional design, or did they use little variety in colors to save on the color pallete, and have more colors avaible for the levels themselves. And the world around Wario is very nice and colorful, but the blocks are kind of monotonous.

While in Wario Land 2, we have:

WL2_O_BreakableBlock.png
WL2_O_EnemyBlock.png
WL2_O_FireBlock.png
WL2_O_CrackedBlock.png
WL2_O_Switch.png

See? Much more visual variety. The blocks look nicer, and are much more distinguishable.

So, I think that we should try to re-design the graphics of the blocks to make them look more different from each other. Unfortunatly, the blocks that are breakable with Wario's body need to always look the same, because of the power up system. If they look different, it would be hard to tell what's a "cracked block" and what's a "solid block". So, it's best that we dont change their graphics, but we can change their color pallets.

But I'm certain that we can give better graphics, with more colors, for the other blocks.

List of blocks:
  • Enemy Block
  • Fat Block
  • Fire Block
  • Switch Block (2 different sprties: 1 for ON, 1 for OFF)
  • Ball Of Yarn Block
  • Snowman Block
  • Desert Ruins Blocks (1 for day, 1 for night)
And also the tiles that are used for the exit door (behind treasure chest) and the GOLF DOOR tile.

That's something we can work on. New grpahics for the blocks. Visual variety

Last edited:
Back