[DEAD] Wario Land 3 Hack Project

How do you change the Palettes on specific things?View attachment 291

EDIT: I removed the 3 but it doesn't have the right color palette.
Currently, only the tiles and the palettes are editable. What's lacking is a way to edit the "map" - that is, the mapping for which tiles are put at what positions, and which palette each tile uses.

So, another thing I'm planning on is making an editor for maps. Similarly I'll also be looking into enemy animations. The interface should be kind of like the main level editor - select a tile, and draw the tiles onto the screen.

Currently, only the tiles and the palettes are editable. What's lacking is a way to edit the "map" - that is, the mapping for which tiles are put at what positions, and which palette each tile uses.

So, another thing I'm planning on is making an editor for maps. Similarly I'll also be looking into enemy animations. The interface should be kind of like the main level editor - select a tile, and draw the tiles onto the screen.
That would be REALLY useful cuz then we could move the entire logo one block higher and add a subtitle or something.

Reactions: 607
Hey, guys! I just put a rom with an edited intro into my Google Drive folder. Check it out! I think you'll be surprised. ^^

(...at least a bit '3')

-- only the plane crash and title screen are edited so no need to play past that part--

Hey, guys! I just put a rom with an edited intro into my Google Drive folder. Check it out! I think you'll be surprised. ^^

(...at least a bit '3')

-- only the plane crash and title screen are edited so no need to play past that part--
I don't see your rom, is it just me? :p

Interesting fat-and-frog interactions there, lol.

I recently noticed something I should've noticed a long time ago: it technically is possible to use keys of different colors in the same region, using an updated enemyAis.txt file (I put it in the drive). They can be treated like any other object in an enemy set. But there's still the obvious problem that their palettes won't look right.

Okay, NOW the rom is in there. It's called Wario Land 3_intro edit
I checked it out, here's what I think:

1. The Blue Plain is just a recolor, but I understand that is just a Editor Limitation, right?

2. I love how the screen changes color for the Title Screen, looks really cool!

3. When we can, we should remove the 3 and add a subtitle instead.

I checked it out, here's what I think:

1. The Blue Plain is just a recolor, but I understand that is just a Editor Limitation, right?

2. I love how the screen changes color for the Title Screen, looks really cool!

3. When we can, we should remove the 3 and add a subtitle instead.

I could change the plane sprite a bit if we want. I just wanted to try it out.
I also like the color change, it makes it look like the sun is setting. If only we could also change the colors in the following cutscene to match this one...

Shouldn't we maybe keep the 3 and just add a subtitle? I mean it is still basically WL3, just a hack of it....

Dang, so many posts during the night!

Haiko, that is interesting interaction with the frog, but I don't see this as something we wuld put in the game...

ShyGuy, i really like the effect! It looks like sunrise to me, not sunset.
Go to the Golf Tower. Course #2 in sunset, and Course #4 is sunrise.
Personally, i like sunset better, so there should be less orange and more pink :p

Drenn, what exactly do you mean by editing the map?
Also, i didn't really check out your editor yet...

Changing the title:
We are going to keep the 3 in there, but add a subtitle.
Althought, we have not yet decided on the name for our game. Adventures in the Music Box? Return to the Music Box?
It unlimetly depends and what we do with the story.
And if we can find a way to really edit the intro/outro cutscenes, we can make our story more interesting/unique.
Maybe someday...

EDIT:
if our game will be a sequal, we can call it Wario Land 3 1/2

Last edited:
Dang, so many posts during the night!

Haiko, that is interesting interaction with the frog, but I don't see this as something we wuld put in the game...

Personally, i like sunset better, so there should be less orange and more pink :p

Drenn, what exactly do you mean by editing the map?
Also, i didn't really check out your editor yet...

Changing the title:
Althought, we have not yet decided on the name for our game. Adventures in the Music Box? Return to the Music Box?
And if we can find a way to really edit the intro/outro cutscenes, we can make our story more interesting/unique.
Maybe someday...

EDIT:

It isn't really the map, they are the individual tiles in the misc graphics editor. You saw my 3 remove right? It looks all glitchy because I was unable to asign different palettes to those 'maps'.
Also the editing of those 'maps' will allow us to move up or down the 'maps', because we can asign different palettes so we draw stuff anywhere.

Basically, he means he will make a more advanced Misc. Graphics editor.

Really? Cuz every sunset I've seen has more yellow, orange and reddish colors than pink...
Oh well.
We could also make the beginning night and let the sun rise. :p

Changing the title:
Maybe someday...

EDIT:
I think Adventures in the Music Box sounds too much like a subtitle the original game could've had.
We should pick a name that makes it clear to people that we're making a completely new game.

We could also make the beginning night and let the sun rise. :p

Yeah, that sounds like a plan

I think Adventures in the Music Box sounds too much like a subtitle the original game could've had.
We should pick a name that makes it clear to people that we're making a completely new game.

Actually, the origional japanese subtitle is "The Mysterious Music Box" :p
Well, for now, "Wario Land 3 1/2: The Return To The Music Box" seems to me like the best option. If we can implement a fitting story.

Question to Drenn:
When importing and exporting levels, does the editor also im/export all the tiles, subtiles and palettes that are tied to it? Or do we need to im/export those seperately?

Question. Can we, or will we be able to do this?
(look at the bottom of the screen)

CustomTitleScreen.png

Back