Do you consider there to be two Warios in a manner similar to Classic and Modern Sonic?

tahutoa

Has "it." Fragile musician. Odd, means well.
1st Wario appears in Super Mario Land 2, Wario Land, Wario's Woods, and pretty much every comic published by various Nintendo comics/manga dealies; the cock-eyed, big lumbering weirdo who wants to be loved. Wears grey shoes and magenta overalls. :WLWarioLaughs:
2nd Wario appears in Wario Land 2 and onward; the handsome Waadventurer who's really come into his own. Doesn't go searching for treasure for the sake of besting Mario anymore, he goes searching for treasure because it's damn good fun. Wears green shoes and purple overalls. :wickedWario:

This isn't to say that they're two different characters, mind you, but rather, two different Warios in the same way that Classic Sonic and Modern Sonic are portrayed in Sonic Generations-- still the same person, granted, and yet.

Personally, I prefer classic Wario to modern Wario, but both are equally appealing in different ways. I think I can probably empathize with Classic Wario, though.
1541272121848.png

I completely agree with this and where you put the split. I had pretty much the same idea in my head. Wario before achieving breakout status was much different than how he is once he did, just look at his dialogue here in Wario's Woods:
i grew weary.png

The Wario we all know and love today wouldn't talk like this at all, he'd say something like "Took you long enough, shroom-for-brains!"

^I could totes imagine Wario Deluxe talking like that.

As for the topic... there's not really any canon, so almost every game could take place in it's own universe if you wanted it to.

Do you think the Mario that kidnapped apes and fought in Vietnam was a different Mario?

I completely agree with this and where you put the split. I had pretty much the same idea in my head. Wario before achieving breakout status was much different than how he is once he did, just look at his dialogue here in Wario's Woods:
View attachment 8499

The Wario we all know and love today wouldn't talk like this at all, he'd say something like "Took you long enough, shroom-for-brains!"
This switch could be interpreted in-canon as dude learning to stop pretending to be more than he is, all higher up and stuff, to feel better about himself, since early Wario I always felt was rather insecure. His supposed inferiority complex that I'm always talking about? Remember, the only reason he went on that first adventure, and found his passion thus, was only to retrieve that hugeass Peach monolithic statue, solely because he wanted to get a castle bigger than Mario's (and the bastard in question took that away from him on top of that).
Up until he went on the adventure we see in Wario Land, that's how he measured his self-worth-- he makes a big deal of showing off in Wario's Woods, Mario Land 2, and, albeit indirectly, Wario Land I. However, if you'll notice, even as early as VB Wario Land, the entry directly following this, Mario is no longer anywhere to be seen. Perhaps that run-in with the genie and the Syrup pirates taught Wario that there were things in life besides besting Mario, and he wanted to find out what they were.
Take a look at the commercials for Wario Blast, VB Wario, etc., and already you'll see that he's exploring different venues and finding himself, now that Wario Land's adventure had sparked something in him. Even by the time we get to Wario Land II, you can tell that he's already somewhat more at peace with his existence, and after that, the Wario we've come to know and love really started to show himself. Pride is his number one vice, but compare Wario Land with Wario World and you'll see the envy that was so closely intertwined with that pride completely evaporate, and see just how much more like himself he is.

Last edited:
As for the topic... there's not really any canon, so almost every game could take place in it's own universe if you wanted it to.
Ewwww, don't even suggest that. If Zelda can string together a timeline then so can Wario goddammit
Do you think the Mario that kidnapped apes and fought in Vietnam was a different Mario?
No, I do not. I'm a firm believer that DK (and Wario too, for that matter) had every right to fuck with Mario all those times-- the man put his father (whom we have since found out is completely sentient) in a cage, after all. As for Vietnam, it's entirely within the realm of possibility. Obviously the Mario Bros. Movie (I assume this is your source) is why you say that, but even if said movie is so detached from the games that it literally would have to be some kind of alternate universe (ha ha get it-- oh wait, maybe the games' Mario and Luigi come from that world and that's why the red and green costumes were there holy shit--), but you still can't rule the possibility out entirely. We don't know the rules of the Mushroom Kingdom, perhaps they age slower, and we certainly don't know shit about Mario's past (even Wario's past is up for debate, given that there's more than one interpretation of it), so.

Last edited:
This switch could be interpreted in-canon as dude learning to stop pretending to be more than he is, all higher up and stuff, to feel better about himself, since early Wario I always felt was rather insecure. His supposed inferiority complex that I'm always talking about? Remember, the only reason he went on that first adventure, and found his passion thus, was only to retrieve that hugeass Peach monolithic statue, solely because he wanted to get a castle bigger than Mario's (and the bastard in question took that away from him on top of that). Up until he went on the adventure we see in Wario Land, that's how he measured his self-worth-- he makes a big deal of showing off in Wario's Woods, Mario Land 2, and, albeit indirectly, Wario Land I. However, if you'll notice, even as early as VB Wario Land, the entry directly following this, Mario is no longer anywhere to be seen. Perhaps that run-in with the genie and the Syrup pirates taught Wario that there were things in life besides besting Mario, and he wanted to find out what they were.
Take a look at the commercials for Wario Blast, VB Wario, etc., and already you'll see that he's exploring different venues and finding himself, now that Wario Land's adventure had sparked something in him. Even by the time we get to Wario Land II, you can tell that he's already somewhat more at peace with his existence, and after that, the Wario we've come to know and love really started to show himself. Pride is his number one vice, but compare Wario Land with Wario World and you'll see the envy that was so closely intertwined with that pride completely evaporate, and see just how much more like himself he is.

Exactly this. I consider that change all character development and is yet another reason why Wario is my favorite Mario character-- no, my favorite character of all time. He has so much to him.

Wario went from an insecure, bloated dwarf obsessed with one-upping Mario who puffed himself up with air to look intimidating and hypnosis to get others to do his bidding, to a confident muscleman that carves his own path in life and has a group of friends he can get to do his bidding time and time again without the aid of any sort of hypnosis or magic.

Last edited:
Dude. Yes. Exactly this. I would have gone on to explain most of this too. I consider that change all character development and is yet another reason why Wario is my favorite Mario character-- no, my favorite character of all time. He has so much to him.

Wario went from an insecure, bloated dwarf obsessed with one-upping Mario who puffed himself up with air to look intimidating and hypnosis to get others to do his bidding, to a confident muscleman that carves his own path in life and has a group of friends he can get to do his bidding time and time again without the aid any sort of hypnosis or magic.

"Waa, I sure hope-a this works-- uh, youu will dooo waatever I sayyyy~"
"UhHhhH"
"Kill-a that Mario!" He spat the name with such clear distaste. "He can't have this castle back, it's mine now!"
"UhHh kill Mariooo" the bumbling oaf droned, crunching an oaf-shaped hole in the door as it left... leaving behind Wario, completely alone again.
"(forlorn Waa)...
"I wish Mario would hurry up so I can rub this in his face."

*Brr- brr- Brrring!*
*call from WAAnder Boy*
"Hello?"
"Waa, hey man I just got this idea for a game where you play a bunch of four-second things in a row, but I like need-a some ideas for them. We'll get a boat load of cash with everyone on board"
"Aw yeah!"
"Cool thanks man"

Last edited:
Dunno about Wario Land but I do think Nintendo doesn't consider WarioWare to be part of the Mario universe. I don't think their notoriously strict IP cops would let the frequent references to it and Rhythm Heaven existing in the same universe slide otherwise

Dunno about Wario Land but I do think Nintendo doesn't consider WarioWare to be part of the Mario universe. I don't think their notoriously strict IP cops would let the frequent references to it and Rhythm Heaven existing in the same universe slide otherwise
So that's where the Warped Void leads to.

I honestly don't consider the fact that there are 2 Warios, to me it's always the same guy, and I agree with the idea that he just changed his attitude over time. At first Wario is playing villain, now he's just looking for quick bucks

Huh, that's surprising. I thought this would talk about the WarioWare Wario being different, but I guess not. Then I do wonder: does Wario in the WarioWare games fall under the first or second Wario, in your analysis?

I don't!
He falls under the category of 2nd Wario, for the sake of this analysis, although since he knows how to be Mr. Professional, he kind of dials it back when it comes to the dialogue for him, and the microgame explanations we get for Top Score mode.
I've always headcanoned that WarioWare Inc. takes place really soon after Wario Land 4, maybe within a few months, since apparently Wario usually spends all the treasure from a given adventure after however long, and that would explain why he wants to go for another get-rich-quick scheme, and so soon at that... at least he isn't miserly. Definitely has to do with all of the similarities in tone, sound, etc.-- it just feels like the two happen really close to each other, y'know?
I honestly don't consider the fact that there are 2 Warios, to me it's always the same guy, and I agree with the idea that he just changed his attitude over time. At first Wario is playing villain, now he's just looking for quick bucks
Well, my point was thinking about it in terms of how Sonic Generations treats the titular character-- it is quite literally the same person, it's just that after all the time that's passed, said person becomes different enough to be almost like another person.
1541638028471.png

I spent like an entire 35 minutes on this, more or less, and for some reason I'm slightly proud of it. Prrrobably has something to do with it being made in MS Paint.

Last edited:
He falls under the category of 2nd Wario, for the sake of this analysis, although since he knows how to be Mr. Professional, he kind of dials it back when it comes to the dialogue for him, and the microgame explanations we get for Top Score mode.
I've always headcanoned that WarioWare Inc. takes place really soon after Wario Land 4, maybe within a few months, since apparently Wario usually spends all the treasure from a given adventure after however long, and that would explain why he wants to go for another get-rich-quick scheme, and so soon at that... at least he isn't miserly. Definitely has to do with all of the similarities in tone, sound, etc.-- it just feels like the two happen really close to each other, y'know?

Well, my point was thinking about it in terms of how Sonic Generations treats the titular character-- it is quite literally the same person, it's just that after all the time that's passed, said person becomes different enough to be almost like another person.
View attachment 8531
I spent like an entire 35 minutes on this more or less and for some reason I'm slightly proud of it. Prrrobably has something to do with it being made in MS Paint.

I would just like to inform you that this image is in my files now and forever.

After thinking this over, I would say that I actually don't consider there to be two distinct Warios. I do acknowledge that there are different characterizations of Wario but the difference in early Wario to later Warios I would chalk up to just a gradual evolution, especially since it took a while for Wario to really become a developed character. The difference between Classic Sonic to Adventure Sonic and later Modern Sonic I consider to be a more deliberate change to create a new image and tone for Sonic while nothing that drastic has really happened in the Wario games.

Back